First M1 Garand tomorrow

Last 3 ?!?! Jelly
Wish I had the time,ammo, and $ for 3
Time I don't have I get out once a month if I'm lucky....ammo I reload almost everything for 10 years now, money I'm a boring and selective money spender. I,budgeted my last 2 M1s with cash back credit cards. You just need to not hold a balance.
Funny my friends and people in general I come across in my little circle have "no money" yet they seem to have all these things one or in combo
1. Cigarettes at 6$ or more per pack.... yikes
2. Coffee from coffee ships.
3. Buying food at take out or restraints
4. Weekly stops at the bar....I have friends that every Friday night are off the the bar and drop 50 plus easy
5. Expensive phones and phone services.... I hear people paying 80$ month or more for a phone...yuk I'm on the TrackPhone I bought a new phone and with that included I'm only pay 13$ month average. But I'm only calling and texing
6. Knowing where your money goes....seriously make a monthly log of every penny you spend even those 1.39 pit stops for a drink or chips.
Been there done that and it helped a lot stopping all this many years ago. When I was drinking, smoking and hooked on coffee I was spending (date my self a bit here) a year. Cigs 350$ I was a light smoker 2-3 packs a week, 500$ on coffee
The bar was brutal between pool ,darts , practice and any other excuse to be there...2k plus ...not to mention all the other Crap.

Things I do for extra money
Cash back credit cards. Watch which ones give deals
Scrap metal , prices suck right now but I snag metal on my daily travels.
Sell odds and ends...done well by this and will be getting back into ebaying my junk soon.
Cans....I can't imagine not saving and picking up a can or 2-3 for the cash.
It's easy you drive by redemption centers often (any large grocery or liquor store) been putting that in my kids accounts now since they where born. That's on average 135$ year...
Plus I make it a point to put 10$ week away for my self....I know it's only 10$ right. Well every few couple months I got hundred bucks or so to do what ever I want with...

Comes down to what do you want and need. You find the ways when you really want or need.

Last edited:
SA 10 46 for the barrel date.

I was just able to check out my friends recent SA SH 44 receiver with a 45 barrel. Chamber is parked so I'm guessing the cmp might have a pile of barreled receivers that went through arsenal and never assembled into rifles/issued.
His also has lock bar rear sight and a machined trigger guard. Everything else appears to be post war parts.
Gas cylinder also looks,like it was refinished.

There is an unwritten rule (because it's my rule and I never wrote it down) that M1s must be owned in 3s to properly utilize the stacking swivels. [smile]

Yet again, NES = wallet danger. LOL...

A la mac1911, time to go on a ebay my junk crusade to fund my next milsurp.

Just took a quick run to club to check on a M1 I sold a gent who is shooting cmp with it today.
I took along a boxOshit.
Various parts, scopes rings , and generally stuff that's been in a box for 30 plus years. Old dog down there did a few hand swipes inside the box and offered me 75$ for the lot....sold

Nice looking wood on that new Garand. Just needs some oiling of some sort to really make it gorgeous.

IMG_0607.jpg
after 5 coats of tung oil. Finally got out to the range after applying the tung oil to the stock, the M1 ran flawlessly, ran a couple of clips before the rain came. Sweet shooting rifle. Target is at about 45 yards second clip, standing offhand no sling, didn't touch the sights. IMG_0615.jpg
The men that carried this rifle into battle had big brass balls.

Not sure why the target is rotated, but it was shot hanging the correct direction.

Last edited:
View attachment 175179
after 5 coats of tung oil. Finally got out to the range after applying the tung oil to the stock, the M1 ran flawlessly, ran a couple of clips before the rain came. Sweet shooting rifle. Target is at about 45 yards second clip, standing offhand no sling, didn't touch the sights. View attachment 175180
The men that carried this rifle into battle had big brass balls.

Not sure why the target is rotated, but it was shot hanging the correct direction.

Nice....tung oil just looks good! Now you need to work on a proper zero and get that rifle to a CMP garand match....

Suggestions:

- Print out and keep the CMP disassembly instructions, they are well done and will bail you out when you get stuck
- Buy several 30-06 snap caps and an enbloc clip for testing on the bench (never use live rounds)
- Best book for the $ is Poyer's "The M1 Garand" for id'ing parts
- Unless you are real brave (or don't care it ever works properly again) leave the rear sight alone (don't take it apart).
- Watch our for your thumb (plenty of places to read why).
- Always use 30-06 SPRINGFIELD ammo or you can damage the op rod.
- Join the Garand Collector's Assn.

Have fun!

Suggestions:

- Print out and keep the CMP disassembly instructions, they are well done and will bail you out when you get stuck
- Buy several 30-06 snap caps and an enbloc clip for testing on the bench (never use live rounds)
- Best book for the $ is Poyer's "The M1 Garand" for id'ing parts
- Unless you are real brave (or don't care it ever works properly again) leave the rear sight alone (don't take it apart).
- Watch our for your thumb (plenty of places to read why).
- Always use 30-06 SPRINGFIELD ammo or you can damage the op rod.
- Join the Garand Collector's Assn.

Have fun!

Just a correction : 30-06 Sprinfield is the cartridge designation ..... it doesn't make it "garand" safe.
You would want surplus , Cal 30 ball M2, currently best source is the CMP HXP.
Other "safe" M1 ammo. Manufactures
PPU M2, S&B , federal AE , hornady and creedmor all make M1 safe ammo.
There are some stout loads out there that can produce excessive gas port pressure allowing you op rod to slam rear wards rather than sliding and eventually it could bend the op rod.

As pointed out CMP has great directions from field strip to detail strip.
Don't be afraid of the rear sights....follow the directions and once you "get it" it's easy. Just like the bolt disassembly and reassembly.

You can detail strip the M1 with a M10 tool and a bullet.

Last edited:
Just a correction : 30-06 Sprinfield is the cartridge designation ..... it doesn't make it "garand" safe.
You would want surplus , Cal 30 ball M2, currently best source is the CMP HXP.
Other "safe" M1 ammo. Manufactures
PPU M2, S&B , federal AE , hornady and creedmor all make M1 safe ammo.
There are some stout loads out there that can produce excessive gas port pressure allowing you op rod to slam rear wards rather than sliding and eventually it could bend the op rod.

+1

The OP should stock up on the 192 rd spam cans if funds allow and he doesn't reload.

+1

The OP should stock up on the 192 rd spam cans if funds allow and he doesn't reload.

Yes if possible get your 10 can yearly limit. You can sell the clips and bando's to recoup some cost.

I buy cans when money allows in between buying reload supplies.

I just bought 500 rounds of Aguila carbine and I didn't see any HXP on strippers; just the loose-in-can.

T

Should have said en-bloc. I see it now.

Last edited:
My M1 shipped today and will be in my hands tomorrow! Been reading up, looking at you tube etc etc. If I looked up the serial number correctly looks like a SA Sept. 1944. This rifle will be a shooter and I will never sell it, that being said I have plenty of gun cleaning equipment, and I know I need a sling, what else? tools? grease? etc? I'm getting confused with all the info out there.
Thanks for getting my head to stop spinning and I will post photos when the rifle arrives.
I was wondering where you got yours from. Was it CMP? also how much are they? I remember looking before and they were about a grand a piece but i only looked on one place.

MOLON LABE
~All Hope is Lost in Translation~

I was wondering where you got yours from. Was it CMP? also how much are they? I remember looking before and they were about a grand a piece but i only looked on one place.

MOLON LABE

CMP but currently sales have been suspended on M1s except some of the surplus M1C and M1D snipers and they are not cheap. I would think they are not of that great of a deal as they are still in stock...

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Hopeful they come back on line in a year or so. I think you might see a few more then a run on the CMP specials. The CMP well is begining to run dry.

MOLON LABE
It was a CMP service grade ordered in March, received in July. Price at the time was $730. I'll never part with it.
One spam can of the Greek on clips owned, will order more as funds allow.

Ah, just got two K98s. Hopefully they'll be around for a year or so to give me some time to get to my 10th K98. However, the envelope is stamped and on my desk...

T

Back
Top Bottom