First one

Posted at gunbroker too.

Got an e-mail that my friend Russ died on 4 May. He was a fellow Marine and DS vet. We served together for about 3 years. A spiritual man, he was a source of guidance and advice whenever I needed it.

He suffered from lung cancer of unknown origin. Never smoked or anything. Was a minister in NC. He went to the doc early this winter with dizziness, headaches, and weight loss. Pretty much downhill from there. We kept in touch through an e-mail network of squadron buddies. Hadn't heard anything since about Feb despite many e-mails and unanswered phone calls. Turns out he went home to Maine and died there.A mutual friend of ours was in Germany when he got the voicemail from Russ's wife. He just got the message the other day.

This is the first of my squadron mates I've lost. It sucks bad.

My condolences Paul. It's never, ever easy to lose someone, even when you know they're sick and it's not looking good for them. You can never prepare for it. <HUGS>

Update-obit

Rev. Russel D. Hande
Crabiel-Riposta Funeral Home
CRESWELL, NORTH CAROLINA (April 30): Rev. Russel D. Hande, 41, of Creswell, N.C., passed away Friday, April 28, 2006, in Corinth, Maine. He was born in Trenton, Mich., on April 28, 1965, son of Harry and Evelyn Hande.

Hande rose to the rank of sergeant during 12 years in the United States Marine Corps and was a veteran of the first Persian Gulf War, serving as a helicopter crew chief on the H-46 helicopter. After leaving the Marine Corps, Russ entered the ministry and was an ordained bishop with the Church of God, Cleveland, Tenn. Russ served as an associate pastor to the congregations of the Lexington Park Church of God, Lexington Park, Md., the Park Avenue Church of God in Portland, and the Faith Temple Church of God, Belfast. At the time of his death, he was the senior pastor of the Cherry Church of God, Creswell, N.C. He was also a member of the board of directors for Souls Harbor Ministries.

Russ is predeceased by his mother, Evelyn Hande Morris; stepmother, Verna Hande; and stepfather, Wesley Morris.

He is survived by his wife, Bethany (Libby) Hande; his children, Zachary, Abigail, Hannah and Luke Hande; his father, Harry Hande; his brothers, Steve Hande and his wife, Debbie, of Monroe, Mich., Denny Hande and his wife, Carla, of Riverview, Mich., Terry Hande and his wife, Mary, of Southgate, Mich., and Ron Hande and his wife, Trina, of Brentwood, Tenn.; stepbrother Skip Roush and his wife, Lori, of Trenton, Michigan; and several nieces and nephews.

Friends are invited to call 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, May 2, at Faith Temple Church of God, Lincolnville Avenue, Belfast, where a funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 3, with Russ' father-in-law, Rev. Rick Libby, and grandfather-in-law, Rev. Ron Libby, officiating. Burial will take place at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the Corinthian Cemetery, Corinth. Those wishing to make memorial donations may do so to the Souls Harbor Ministries, PO Box 275, Corinth, ME 04427. Arrangements are under the care of Crabiel-Riposta Funeral Home, 182 Waldo Ave., Belfast.

I'm so sorry Paul. Losing a friend is very hard. Stay in contact with your other friends during this time of grief. It's not a time to be isolated.

We were and are a fairly tight group. 'Bout 20 in all some closer than others, but all there. I find our situation unusual in this respect. A few of us met up for a friends retirement last year about this time. There was a write up I did in the letters section of America's First Freedom (May or June I think) right after they did an article on Gysgt Carlos Hathcock. The irony was that it was his son's retirement I went to. I felt it worthy of note and sent a letter.

Back
Top Bottom