First red dot....

The crossfire can handle recoil. I have one on a 45/70 lever action.
The glass is not bad.
The dot is easy to see, although not daylight bright unless it is a cloudy day.
It holds zero.

You might want to also consider Athlon if going LPVO. I have been very impressed with Athlon. The cheapest Athlon I have is a Midas HMR and the glass is very clear. I was shooting it with a buddy that had his rifle with a Razor and the clarity, at least to our eyes, was very, very close.

Not sure how their cheapest scopes, but I read good things.

I was so impressed with the Midas, I just ordered a Cronus.

That guy has the best scope reviews on YouTube. Unlike most sh*t reviews that all they do is talk about their opinions and show you dudes shooting the rifle (completly useless on a review) but no video of the optic, this guy covers all bases. He reviewes everything from expensive to very affordable scopes. Totally worth sitting through the entire review.

Adding ... his first favorite sight of 2023 in this video is a red dot, not expensive.

View: https://youtu.be/3hWyR7i4RAo?si=xgWNIVyPm7goemzi

Price is half of the metric of value? Did you mean quality? Because what you said makes sense if you meant quality.
There are three core components to value in every purchase - quality, service and price. You can only pick two.

Last edited:
There are three core components to every purchase - quality, value and price. You can only pick two.
Value is based off of the quality and price. A big price and low quality - low value. Low price high quality - big value.
I get what you are trying to say - in the PC building world, when someone wants a Gaming Laptop on the Cheap, we make a similar comment. Gaming, Laptop, Cheap, pick 2.
I just disagree definitionally.

I haven't read the whole thread, but did anyone suggest a Vortex Strikefire II red, or red/green dot sight?

I think they're around under $200 including the mount (shop around for sales). great optic. I have mine set up with 1/3 co-witness with flip-up backup iron sights

Personally I think Irons or “backup irons” are a first priority.

i know cost is an issue and I definitely can relate, but as others have said if they red dot goes down you’re pooched. And considering you’re in the budget red dot market there’s a better chance of something going wrong with it.
I get the range toy angle, but it’s my opinion all rifles should be reasonably equipped to be reliable tools first, toys second

Others have given great recommendations
And it looks like you found something, so start saving for the BUIS!

Are there any instances of this happening with a rifle in a self defense scenario?
I have no idea, but I’m not worried about it if mine goes down in a fight I hope I never have to get into in the first place

Not sure how many rifles are used in SD the only case I can recall is rittenhouse

Personally I think Irons or “backup irons” are a first priority.

i know cost is an issue and I definitely can relate, but as others have said if they red dot goes down you’re pooched. And considering you’re in the budget red dot market there’s a better chance of something going wrong with it.
I get the range toy angle, but it’s my opinion all rifles should be reasonably equipped to be reliable tools first, toys second

Others have given great recommendations
And it looks like you found something, so start saving for the BUIS!
I’m kinda in the camp if you have a quality optic/dot Buis are not absolutely needed.

I’ve had a few failures, batt, loose optic etc.

But none were catastrophic.

I’m all for a backup.

But my question is how did you destroy your optic to the point you need a Buis set up?

I’m kinda in the camp if you have a quality optic/dot Buis are not absolutely needed.

I’ve had a few failures, batt, loose optic etc.

But none were catastrophic.

I’m all for a backup.

But my question is how did you destroy your optic to the point you need a Buis set up?
Who knows I’ve only ever LARPed in my office or at a few carbine shoots
Most of this stems from my mentality at sea and in the air, redundancy.
I’ve never used a gun in defense or offense,but the last time I went to the range my aimpoint PRO had a dead battery….

Who knows I’ve only ever LARPed in my office or at a few carbine shoots
Most of this stems from my mentality at sea and in the air, redundancy.
I’ve never used a gun in defense or offense,but the last time I went to the range my aimpoint PRO had a dead battery….

Wait, you believe in redundancy but not checking your equipment before you leave

Not for nothing OP is talking about buget red dots

You guys are telling me you’d rely on a budget red dot solely?

Wait, you believe in redundancy but not checking your equipment before you leave
Yeah I went to the captain Ron school of fishing
“If it’s gonna happen it’s gonna happen out there”

Lmao now I remember why I stopped commenting here years ago

It doesn't happen. Its just a Larper fantasy
It’s not a larpers fantasy, it’s good planning, preparation and having a contingency plan.

You may not think it’s necessary and for your case it may not be, but that doesn’t make anyone who thinks differently a larper.

It’s not a larpers fantasy, it’s good planning, preparation and having a contingency plan.

You may not think it’s necessary and for your case it may not be, but that doesn’t make anyone who thinks differently a larper.

It is, people should be more worried about where they will get their diabetes med and plugging in their CPAP

I know you have skills and are not a larper. I’m not against Buis.

But please tell me some stories about primary optics going down to where you needed buis?

I want to believe…

Its a $500 gun, a budget optic will be a perfect match for going to the range
Again, back to my comment that all guns should be reliable functional tools

Toys are for airsoft bois

I Remember a Time you could build decent AR for $500 are you telling this old timer those days are over!?

Back
Top Bottom