Flip-Up AR rear sights

I have a troy (the one you saw the other night.)

I remember. I opted for the MI one, seemed to be a good middle-of-the-road BUIS. Good for my budget build at least. There will be plenty of time for upgrades.

I went the cheap route on a Tasco Pro Point red/green dot sight for my Ruger MKIII from Glockword. The I have used it about 4 times indoor only, never banged or dropped maybe 600 rounds of .22 rim.

Last week no more dot. Figured batery gone, new batt. No Dot. Back to the regular sites.

Don't go for the deals

Last edited:
I went the cheap route on an aimpoint red/green dot sight for my Ruger MKIII from Glockword. The I have used it about 4 times indoor only, never banged or dropped maybe 600 rounds of .22 rim.

Last week no more dot. Figured batery gone, new batt. No Dot. Back to the regular sites.
Huh? Are you sure this was an Aimpoint? There are plenty of cheap manufacturers of red dot scopes, but Aimpoint isn't one of them.

No It is not an Aimpoint. My fingers were typing what I was wishing it was. I have been looking to replace the crappy Tasco ProPoint with an Aimpoint. The Tasco was $100 the Aimpoints are $400 plus so you are both right they are not cheap. But I bet it wont be in the trash after a few visits to the range. Thanks for pointing out my mix up.

That being said. The Aimpoints are much less expensive than the Leupolds and Trijicon ACOGS. Is there a real difference a very Newbie AR shooter would notice for the additional features/quality that the extra $500 - $700 buys. Remembering this time I want to buy once for at least a few years.

No It is not an Aimpoint. My fingers were typing what I was wishing it was. I have been looking to replace the crappy Tasco ProPoint with an Aimpoint. The Tasco was $100 the Aimpoints are $400 plus so you are both right they are not cheap. But I bet it wont be in the trash after a few visits to the range. Thanks for pointing out my mix up.

That being said. The Aimpoints are much less expensive than the Leupolds and Trijicon ACOGS. Is there a real difference a very Newbie AR shooter would notice for the additional features/quality that the extra $500 - $700 buys. Remembering this time I want to buy once for at least a few years.

The two types of sights are completely different. The Aimpoint is a close combat reflex optic. The ACOG is a magnified scope with an illuminated reticle.

I have nothing against plastic in the right application, but that doesn't seem like it is.

I wouldnt worry about the sights being crap! The end user that Magpul designs these for are not "plinkers" or for "range use only", they are for door kickers. Has magpul every made anything that wasnt for serious use? No they havent all of thier product are designed and tested by people who are or have been in the AO.

When these are finally released I will be dumping my Troys for them

-DM-

Although they may be made for LE and military use, it sometimes seems like the mall ninjas have more of them.

Has anyone had personal experience with the MAGPUL back up sights?

It is not in production yet. That is a picture of the prototype. So no one has personal experience with them.

I have. Officially called the MBUS (Magpul Back Up Sight), they are made of a sturdy polymer and provide for a quick and good sight picture. For the price point you really cant beat them as a package deal. With the touch of a button (push rather) they spring into place and with a push down they are back out of sight.

Quick show:

magpul_massoud.jpg

The polymer flip-up sights use a standard front sight post, but don't recess the indexing disc in order to avoid chewing up the plastic with the sight adjustment tool.

tn_magpul_buis_front_folded.jpg

tn_magpul_buis_front_up.jpg

Source

Last edited:
I have. Officially called the MBUS (Magpul Back Up Sight), they are made of a sturdy polymer and provide for a quick and good sight picture. For the price point you really cant beat them as a package deal. With the touch of a button (push rather) they spring into place and with a push down they are back out of sight.

Your experience with them is what, exactly? You bought a set and have used them for multiple range visits? Or you played with them for 5 minutes at the SHOT show?

Your experience with them is what, exactly? You bought a set and have used them for multiple range visits? Or you played with them for 5 minutes at the SHOT show?

Who peed in your cornflakes? Whats troubling you? Do you need a hug or something? PM me if its something you dont want everyone knowing about.

I wouldnt worry about the sights being crap! The end user that Magpul designs these for are not "plinkers" or for "range use only", they are for door kickers. Has magpul every made anything that wasnt for serious use? No they havent all of thier product are designed and tested by people who are or have been in the AO.

When these are finally released I will be dumping my Troys for them

-DM-

I never said they would be crap and I know Magpul has a very good reputation. That said, I question the use of plastic for something that sticks out of a heavy object that may possibly get dropped. Polymers have come a long way obviously and plenty of handguns have polymer frames but that's not exactly the same problem.

Further, I'm not sure what problem, besides cost, plastic solves in this application.

This product may be excellent and that's fine. Personally, I see no reason to sell my Troy BUIS set for this. If I ever build another AR and the Magpul sights prove themselves to be excellent and cost effective, I'll consider them.

Last edited:
OK, so I guess that means you looked at them at the SHOT show.

As I mentioned in my PM to you, if something is irking you...

To answer your question, no I didn't just look at them at a show. I'm quite confident that my reviews and knowledge on industry items, events, previews and prototypes are valid and past par -not sure what you are digging for, but I could recommend a tactical shovel if you need me to. [grin]

As I mentioned in my PM to you, if something is irking you...
Dude, take your armchair psychology crap and...

To answer your question, no I didn't just look at them at a show. I'm quite confident that my reviews and knowledge on industry items, events, previews and prototypes are valid and past par -not sure what you are digging for, but I could recommend a tactical shovel if you need me to. [grin]

OK, so instead of shoveling this armchair psychobabble horseshit, why don't you just tell us what your experience is with them? What is good and bad about them?

You bought a set and have used them for multiple range visits? Or you played with them for 5 minutes at the SHOT show?

Honestly a few range visits or playing with them at SHOT will tell you about the same thing. A range visit does not in any way shape or form tell you if thay are any good or not. If you want "range worthy" just buy a piece of shit Chicom UTG sight and you will be fine. These things are still to new to have the lowdown on them concerning a "battle ready" status. In reality who the f*** cares, they are probably going on your piece of shit bushmaster or olymmpic that you shoot about 200 rnds a year out of and you just want them to look tacicool.

-DM-

Last edited:
I wish I only shot 200 rounds a year. I don't shoot my ARs nearly as much as others here, but I'm much closer to 200 rounds per range trip than I am per year.

OK, so I guess that means you looked at them at the SHOT show.

Jesus man - you off your meds again? [rolleyes]

If Clinotus only looked at them for 30-seconds at SHOT, (which he obviously spent a lot more time than that), it makes him a hell of a lot more qualified to comment on them than you and makes his opinion of them a valid starting point for further research, (perhaps you should try some on your own - there are reviews out there). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to gauge the quality of a product without serious-use range testing. This is a new sight and not in a lot of hands yet. If MagPul's track record counts for anything, (which it does), it's likely rock solid - they tend not to go half-assed into things.

Flaming Clinotus for an honest assessment of a product he's obviously spent time with is rather an asshat move on your part and perhaps you should reassess your role on a forum where at least in most cases, we try as a group - especially paying members - to rise above that....

my MI rear flip-sight arrived yesterday.

Newbie question: how do I change the aperature? Is it as simple as "flipping" it back or forth? I applied some pretture to try that method, but stopped because I didnt want to break it.

Seems like a solid peice though!

Back
Top Bottom