Florida burglar won't be down for breakfast.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20090720/BREAKINGNEWS/90720001/1001/RSS

BRISTOL *—Bradley Harvell, 82, closed the Slip N’ Slide bar that is connected to his house on County Road 333 around 8 p.m. Sunday and walked inside his house an hour later. He ate some dinner dropped off by a neighbor and then went to bed.

Harvell said a short time later, he heard a knock at the door.

“There were two knocks at my door,” Harvell said. “I didn’t get up when I heard the first one. But I decided to go see who it was on the second knock.”

As Harvell cracked the door open to take a peek outside, a man dressed in a black T-shirt, black jeans with a blue bandanna covering his mouth, forced his way inside.

Harvell said the man, later identified as Octavius Barnes, 24, of Sanford, Fla., shot him with a stun gun, causing Harvell to fall back on his bed. The intruder then pulled out what appeared to be a black pistol and demanded money.

Harvell pulled out his money clip and gave the robber half of the cash. When pressed to give more, Harvell said he turned it all over.

But Harvell then reached for his .357 magnum among a pile of papers on the floor next to his bed and shot Barnes near the stomach. Barnes fell over on the TV, knocking it onto Harvell, who fired another round, striking Barnes in the head.

“I did what I did to try and save myself,” Harvell said Monday afternoon, after spending the night with his sister in Bristol. “I’m 82-years-old. I’ve made it this far, and I want to keep on living.”

The call came in about 9:20 p.m., according to the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office. When a deputy arrived, with her weapon drawn, Harvell said he told her, “There’s no need for the gun. I don’t think he’s going to get up and do anything else.”

Lt. Brigham Shuler of the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office said the agency is investigating the possibility that someone drove Barnes to the house since there was no other car outside. Barnes, who was from Seminole County, was staying with family in Liberty County.

“We’re not sure if anyone else is involved with the robbery,” Shuler said. “That’s an investigation question that still needs to be answered.”

Deputies found the stun gun and the second weapon, which turned out to be a toy gun.

Shuler said the investigative report will be turned over to the State Attorney’s Office to decide if it should go before a grand jury for review.

Locals who know Harvell, a veteran who has lived in this rural community for years, believe that the situation is terrible, but that Harvell shot in self-defense.

“It’s a sad situation,” said Scott Kady, who has known Harvell for 30 years. “Police is limited and I think it’s sad that people have to resort to arming themselves. But I think he was in his right.”
Advertisement

A man dressed as a ninja was shot and killed during a home-invasion robbery Sunday night, according to the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office.

The man, whose name is not being released until next-of-kin are notified, forced his way into the home of Bradley Harvell, 82, that is attached to his bar the Slip and Slide at the intersection of CR 12 and CR 333 in Liberty County.

The invader demanded money after shocking Harvell with an electrical device called an ERD. Harvell retrieved money from his wallet which did not satisfy the robber and a scuffle ensued, according to Lt. Brigham Shuler, spokesperson for LCSO .

The robber turned around with what appeared to be a gun pointed at Harvell. Harvell, who also had a gun, shot the man dressed in black. When the man got back up and started toward Harvell, he shot the robber a second time in the head killing the invader.

The invader was transported to the morgue at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and an autopsy is scheduled today.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement Crime Scene Unit assisted LCSO on scene.

That's a fantastic article:

1. The good guy wins; bad guy looses
2. If you click on the link it also says he's a 82 yo WWII vet and looks like he could be in his 50s
3. He owns a bar called "slip n slide"
4. He lives at the bar

any more and I'd have to call shenanigans

Exactly. And if I remember right any shooting resulting in a death is very much always reviewed.

I'll give you a review...

Salesman from the "Conservative Press" gives it "two thumbs up and five stars. A brilliant performance, one for the ages".

Snippets from the link posted above.

Lt. Brigham Shuler said the three Blountstown residents — Jessica Nicole Long, 19; Heather Marie Ammons, 22; and Mandy Allen, 43 — helped plan the home-invasion robbery that led to the death of Octavius Barnes, 24.
“Everyone involved in the enterprise is liable for second degree murder,” Shuler said.
No charges will be filed against Harvell, who Shuler said is “doing fine” in the wake of the incident.

It's going the way it should at this point.

Is this loser going to be a candidate for the 2009 Darwin Awards? A big "Bravo Zulu" to the Vet for defending himself and for saving the taxpayers a good chunk of change.

As I was reading the article I was wondering if we were going to get another one shot stop from the .357 Magnum but he shot him a second time before we could find out. Oh well, all’s well that ends well.

The call came in about 9:20 p.m., according to the Liberty County Sheriff’s Office. When a deputy arrived, with her weapon drawn, Harvell said he told her, “There’s no need for the gun. I don’t think he’s going to get up and do anything else.”

This part actually made me laugh.

That's a fantastic article:

1. The good guy wins; bad guy looses
2. If you click on the link it also says he's a 82 yo WWII vet and looks like he could be in his 50s
3. He owns a bar called "slip n slide"
4. He lives at the bar

any more and I'd have to call shenanigans
It could only be better if he had a hot blonde granddaughter. [smile]
Smith & Wesson's .357 Magnum: putting douchebags six feet under since 1935
Model 19's may be old, but they still work. Pull the trigger and it still goes bang.

Is this loser going to be a candidate for the 2009 Darwin Awards? A big "Bravo Zulu" to the Vet for defending himself and for saving the taxpayers a good chunk of change.
Bravo Zulu? I see that the urban dictionary defines this as Navy slang for "well done", but do you know the origin?

Back
Top Bottom