• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fly fishing

just wanted to see how many members here enjoy fresh/salt water fly fishing?

i got hooked on saltwater fly fishing a couple of years ago now i have 9wt and a 10wt fly rods

Hell, yes!

I've never done any salt water fly fishing - it's probably the 2 hour drive to ocean that's stopped me, but I've been hitting fresh water for about 10 years or so. Mostly small river & stream, some lakes off the kayak. 5 and 6 weight, mostly. There is a lot of great trout fishing west of Springfield, but the 10 minute drive to my favorite 3 mile stretch on a branch of the Westfield is usually where I end up.

I started fishing with flies, and that brought me into ultralight spinning gear for the places that were too tight to work a fly rod around in. Wish I had started sooner.

yeah,
I love both fresh and salt water fly fishing. I meant to build a 9wt this past offseason but I ended up building a light tackle spinning rod for schoolie stripers.

Fly fishing is one of those things I have always wanted to get into but never did. Maybe this year or next I will give it a try. Fly fishing in a secluded spot on a river sounds like a great time.

i love fishing :)

we just got a bass tracker boat and love it-- even though we have been skunked at every place we have taken it so far-

i was hoping for at least a trout from long pond, but no...

as for saltwater, we do most of our fishing in the canal... nothing really there yet tho

I don't fly fish in the fresh water, only the ocean.
I use a 7,8,9,10,12.
The 7 is loaded with clear intermediate. The 8 is loaded with floating wonderline. The 9 is loaded with 200 grain depth charge line. The 10 is loaded with some intermediate line and sometimes a depth charge, but I have no idea of the weight. The 12 is the "go to" rod with intermediate wonderline.
I have spools of line that I have no idea what weight it is.
I build all my rods too.
The past few years I only fly fishing at night.
Lately, I've been into long distance surf casting, which is now taking up a lot of my thoughts. I've become obsessed with reel tuning.

I have been flying for about 7 yrs, salt only for striped bass although last fall I did get 4 blue fish on the same fly until it was confetti on a hook. Some times it is the only way to get the fish to bite. I'm not that good at it but I sure do enjoy and it is lot more fun than winching them in. Tie my own but its not a passion like many. If you want to have fun with a fish this is a GREAT way to go. The season is upon us.

yep....love fly fishing. But I'm still kinda new at it.

I have a couple of 5wt setups for trout, and a 8wt that I got a few years ago for steelhead. I hope to be able to put that to use up here in New England for some stripers.

Tying flies and fly-fishing was a lot of fun for me and some buddies years back, but lost interest in it and don't see old buds around anymore. I hope to get back into it again, because I never stopped collecting the things that can be used for flies...ie: anything that doesn't smell too bad if it sits in back of trunk in summer along with synthetis stuff....lol

Back
Top Bottom