Fox New Boston's crappy reporting on Mass gun raffles

rogues

NES Member
Raffles are only legal for nonprofits, I believe they have to be in business for a year before holding a raffle, the holder must obtain a raffle permit for $10 and give a 5% of the gross take to the MA lottery commission as well as provide a report of all winners with prizes valued $250 or more. See MGL 271 7A.

I wonder if the report will focus on this actual (but rarely enforced) issue or fabricated issues implying unlicensed transfers.

Last edited:
How little does someone have going on in their lives that some folks peacefully having a raffle for a firearm that would then be legally owned will make someone "so troubled" that they have to start alerting everyone. Wow. What an effing loser POS.

Raffles are only legal for nonprofits, I believe they have to be in business for a year before holding a raffle, the holder must obtain a raffle permit for $10 and give a 5% of the gross take to the MA lottery commission as well as provide a report of all winners with prizes valued $250 or more. See MGL 271 7A.

I wonder if the report will focus on this actual (but rarely enforced) issue or fabricated issues implying unlicensed transfers.
Yes, a couple of non-profits I'm involved with looked into this. The paperwork, fees, licenses, must give SSNs, full background checks on principals, taxes, etc. made it a non-starter. I seem to recall that there was a way around it, but don't recall the details.

Interesting, thanks Rob. If it's an illegal raffle because of state laws regarding raffles, the Fox report doesn't go out of their way to state that. They're saying illegal 'cuz gunzzzz!'

I haven't done one of these but I'm aware of them. Not guns but more reloading equipment, etc.

I'm holding out for a Claymore raffle...

300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

How little does someone have going on in their lives that some folks peacefully having a raffle for a firearm that would then be legally owned will make someone "so troubled" that they have to start alerting everyone. Wow. What an effing loser POS.

shop owner?

I've never understood why gunshop owners in MA will do stupid things like this. What's that old saying again? Don't shit where you eat.

My thoughts exactly. I love how when the news rolls these turncoat videos they always throw in the qualifier about how the rat is a gun owner.

I've never understood why gunshop owners in MA will do stupid things like this. What's that old saying again? Don't shit where you eat.

Running the raffle or ratting on people?

If its running the raffle, the reason is obvious... to effectively get more for the gun than it's actually worth.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom