Free Hunter Education Course

Shane

Banned
Can somebody point me in the direction of finding a free hunter education safety course?

Apparently, effective today, simply having an FID will not allow you a hunting license. [angry]

I almost bought a hunting license on 12/31/2006 to be grandfathered, but didn't.

I live in the southern outskirts outside Boston.

OK...

But am I correct in saying that I need a Hunter Education course now to get a Hunting License?

How about a copy of my firearms safety course certificate and FID?

OK...

But am I correct in saying that I need a Hunter Education course now to get a Hunting License?

How about a copy of my firearms safety course certificate and FID?

Yes You do
That was one of the bill's filed by the Mass. Sportsmen's Council to make hunting safer for everyone that got passed .
Our other bill that made it was regarding a loaded or un-loaded black powder firearm.

If anyone doesn't like any of our bill's , come to a meeting and give your .02

Here is the link to the currently scheduled 2007 classes. All classes are 16 hours in length and provided free of charge.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwhecl.htm

Alternatively you can call (508) 792-7434, (617) 727-3623, or (978) 632-7648 for more current information, hunting questions and comments.

We were just told by a hunter ed chief instructor at the Dec. MSC meeting, that there only direct number now is (978 )-632-7648 and the fax is ( 978 )-874-0477
Bob
ps
say hi to Sue for Me. [grin]

Yes You do
If anyone doesn't like any of our bill's , come to a meeting and give your .02

I wish I had the time to come to your meeting.

What knowledge does a Hunter Education course provide which can't be obtained by taking a Firearms Safety course and then reading the Mass Wildlife manual?

Basically, this law has made it so that I cannot feasibly obtain a hunting license. Like most MA residents, I have a job, and it's hard to go to a course which is held on 5 seperate days. Oh yes, and none seem to be held in my area.

This law has done nothing but it make it more difficult for people to go hunting. A true slap in the face to all those who wish to take up hunting supported by those who may have never needed to take a Hunter Education course in their lives. That's what it sounds like.

By making hunting more difficult to participate in, you are actually allying yourself with gun grabbers IMO.

[angry]

I'm not familiar with any pattern of recent hunting accidents in the Commonwealth which would make such legislation even remotely necessary.

Last edited:
Be aware that there are other classes that aren't currently listed.

Braintree R&P sponsors a class every year. I think they have held them on a Saturday as well as evenings. I am not a hunter and have never taken the class, but have "walked in on it" a few times.

If you belong to a gun club, ask the BOD if you can sponsor a class, then contact F&W to set up a date that will work for you! [smile]

BTW: I have been shooting for 31 years, but have never hunted (no real interest) however even if legal to do so (no longer the case), I would never go hunting until I went to a hunter education class to learn the specifics of hunting. It ain't the same as carrying a gun for protection or bullseye shooting, that's for sure.

I must disagree with you strongly on that. Although I am a libertarian type in most matters (meaning less and smaller government is much better), I strongly favor basic mandatory hunter's education classes.

Surprise, surprise. You've taken a course so your adamant everyone should have to take the same course you did.

Is it somewhat inconvenient for you? Yep. In the short term it might be but over the long term it's much better for new hunters to take the class and to internalize proper safety and hunting practices.

Dude, your not a veteran hunter or shooter. Your opinion means nothing to me. You killed your first squirrel in the last 6 months and you needed a shotgun to hit the friggin' thing. Then you dressed up in orange and took a video of it [hmmm]. Then you ate it [shocked].

Well I have enough accuracy to kill the same squirrel with a .177 pellet from probably 3 times the distance of your kill [grin]. And I certainly wouldn't make a video about it, because I killed my first squirrel when I was like 12 years old. Your a full grown man for Christ sakes. If you want to make a video go kill something besides a squirrel. A squirrel is childs play.

And the fact you ate it is ridiculous. It just goes to show how little you know (or how foolish you are) and how seriously you took someone on this forum's opinion about eating what you kill. This rule simply does not apply to squirrels or any other rodent. And here you are trying to give me a speech as if you've been into hunting for a long time [frown]!

Just because you moved to NH and got a pistol doesn't mean you know a damned thing. You worship everybody on this forum because they know more than you. I see can see that, and you know it's true. Your acting like some sort of firearms instructor with your tone.

I put you on ignore and I have to still see your damn name everywhere. The ignore feature on this forum is garbage. I wish I didn't see every post you write, every thread you start, and every post including a quote from you.

In the past that knowledge might have been passed down informally from parent to child but many of us were not fortunate enough to have that happen. So a formal mechanism for knowledge transfer from older, more experienced hunters to younger, newer hunters is necessary. And the class is that mechanism.

If one is intelligent enough to pass a basic firearms safety course, law-abiding enough to get a firearms license, I believe that one excursion into the wilderness with anybody who's ever hunted would be plenty. That would actually be more than enough. As previously stated the Wildlife publication literally every rule, season, zone, and requirement.

The rules are in the Wildlife publication. The ability to shoot a firearm safetly is obtained in Firearms Safety course. And
Basic gun safety isn't enough as it needs to be presented within the unique context of hunting. Carrying a firearm for personal protection and hunting with one are two different things as situations differ and it's better for experienced hunters to walk you through how to avoid becoming a statistic. There are also other safety issues related to hunting that don't involve firearms that the class will cover.

I wasn't issued an FID for personal protection. A Basic Firearms Safety course simply does not cover personal protection, nor should it. Shows how much you know.

How do you know what context it needs to be in? As far as I'm aware you've only killed a squirrel, something I did for the first time when I was 12 years old (as previously stated). Because if you took a video of a dead squirrel, I'm sure you would also take a video of any deer or other desirable species you've killed.

I advise you to work out your schedule and attend one of the classes. I had to drive from west roxbury down to another town to take it and it was well worth it. The class will stand you in good stead when you get out into the field and you'll be a better/safer hunter for it.

I will pay no mind to your advice as your not qualified to advise me.

As far as the gun grabbers go, this has nothing to do with them and everything to do with teaching new hunters the right way to enter the sport, keep themselves and others safe and help perpetuate the sport over time.

Wrong. It kills the sport. It makes it difficult for new people to participate.

Less people with exposure to hunting = Less pro-gunners
Less pro-gunners = More people susceptible to gun grabber propaganda

Which ultimately = More banned guns, More ridiculous regulations

Last edited:
It ain't the same as carrying a gun for protection or bullseye shooting, that's for sure.

Trigger Discipline.
Assume Firearm is loaded always.
Keep barrel pointed away from anything you aren't willing to destroy.
Know your firearm and it's ammunition's capability and penetration.
Know your target, and what's beyond it.
Don't shoot at any human beings or animals not in season or animals which don't meet the criteria.
Follow the rules exactly according the Wildlife publication.
Tag your deer and bring it to a check in.
Have a hunting license. <---this seems to be the only one that is a problem!!!
duh.

Sure it's different LenS, it just takes a little more thought to ensure your doing it safely. If one won't put their finger on the trigger unless they know it's absolutely safe to take the shot, have utmost confidence in their ability to hit the animal, that it is in fact an animal, and where the bullet will travel in the event of a miss. I couldn't possibly think of anything else they need to know which would require a 5 day class.

Last edited:
What knowledge does a Hunter Education course provide which can't be obtained by taking a Firearms Safety course and then reading the Mass Wildlife manual?

Shane, my husband teaches firearms safety as well as personal protection. HE had to take the course for his license and he said he learned quite a few things. You want a license? Check out the website and take the course.

Shane, that'll do. Since you seem to be so damn intelligent and refuse to listen to others who've either taken the course or have YEARS more experience and knowledge than you - go forth into the woods.

This is also an informal warning Shane - watch the sarcasim - and DON'T test me.

Mother Mod

refuse to listen to others who've either taken the course
not quite. i refuse to listen to people who eat squirrels by choice.

or have YEARS more experience and knowledge than you
years in which you didn't need a hunter education course. like i said before, it's a true slap in the face that any group of "sportsman" would support such a nonsense mandatory course.

DON'T test me.

show me some mercy

Massachusetts is behind other states in terms implementing a mandatory hunter ed course. Almost every other state requires that a hunter takes the course and most won't allow you to hunt in their state without one. I just recently took the basic and archery courses both of which I had to drive over an hour each way to attend but they were well worth it. With more than 7 years of hunting under my belt I never thought I would get as much out of the courses as I did. The instructors range of knowledge impacted me to look into other forms of the sport from duck hunting to black powder, two things I never thought I'd try but really enjoy now. The course isn't just about safety but about educating people about the sport as a whole. I'm buy no means an expert on the topic but one thing you'll learn about hunting is that you'll never stop learning about hunting. Give the course a shot.

Shane, I also ask that you crank it down a few notches! Fine to disagree, but please don't be "disagreeable" in doing so.

I can't argue with what you posted in reply to me.

I am a firm believer in education, and more is better in my book. The fact that the state does not charge people to attend the MA Hunter Safety course is all the better. Time is always an issue, but hopefully they also run some classes on weekends so that those that can't make it evenings can still manage to take the course.

For those that didn't grow up in hunting families, I would hope they also teach animal recognition, proper target areas on each animal, etc. Yesterday when I went to put the car in the garage, there was a lone coyote sauntering up the street ~30' from me. I just looked up the picture in Wikipedia, since it is the first one I've ever seen close up and was only 90% positive of what I was looking at. Hunting courses for people like myself would be valuable if they ID different critters so we'd be 100% positive what we were looking at.

Hunting courses for people like myself would be valuable if they ID different critters so we'd be 100% positive what we were looking at.

Your coyote recognition point is fair, I was unaware of any animal recognition training. But I imagine that you wouldn't consider shooting an animal you didn't recognize. To do so would be to shoot at an unidentified target, something learned in a Firearms Safety course as dangerous and unacceptable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom