FTF transfer of an AR-15 receiver

JackO

Instructor
Well, I guess, FTF transfers and FA-10s were discussed multiple times. But what if I'm buying not a firearm (by MA laws, not feds), but just a lower receiver? Since this is a private sale there is no fed forms to fill up, that's clear. And FA-10 can not (must not?) be filled up since lower receiver it's not a complete firearm. I have to file an FA-10 form (registration only) when (and only when) I will build a complete rifle.

The question is, so how does the feds know that the receiver had changed hands and an original owner is not responsible for it any more? In other words, how does the seller protects himself. Bill of sale? Notarized bill of sale? Anything else?

Again, an Advanced Search will yield some "opinions". NO LAWS require any paperwork on a private transfer of a mere receiver in MA.

My recommendation is a bill of sale signed by both parties, with name, address, LTC number, etc. on it. Both parties sign two copies and go home with a copy as a private CYA. Others disagree, of that you can be sure.

Back
Top Bottom