Fudd sighting: marshvegas

By the way, how the hell are you supposed to test a 30 round magazine without loading it to capacity? Sounds like you pretty much just wasted an afternoon and your ammo if that was truly your objective.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Hey mike, there's certainly some truth to that, ideally you want to test mags fully loaded.

First, most of you don't understand gun culture from a previous era, and all of you that survive will eventually become geezers and some no doubt will turn into Fudds (as defined by the generation of gun owners that come after you).

Back not so long ago, when revolvers ruled in this country, the norm was five or six rounds, because that is what wheelguns held. Competition was geared around five rounds per magazine and there is that old idea of a worn sear going full auto.

The guy who came up to you wasn't being a douche for counting rounds. He thought he was trying to be safe and ensure that the club rules were being followed. In his mind, a full magazine is somehow "unsafe" or "unnecessary."

Someday, all the current geezers and current Fudds will be buried six feet under and then you can complain about the new generation of shooters who don't conform to your concepts and will be viewed as geezers and Fudds. Why not try to change the rules at the club to reflect today's standard practice?

First, most of you don't understand gun culture from a previous era, and all of you that survive will eventually become geezers and some no doubt will turn into Fudds (as defined by the generation of gun owners that come after you).

Back not so long ago, when revolvers ruled in this country, the norm was five or six rounds, because that is what wheelguns held. Competition was geared around five rounds per magazine and there is that old idea of a worn sear going full auto.

The guy who came up to you wasn't being a douche for counting rounds. He thought he was trying to be safe and ensure that the club rules were being followed. In his mind, a full magazine is somehow "unsafe" or "unnecessary."

Someday, all the current geezers and current Fudds will be buried six feet under and then you can complain about the new generation of shooters who don't conform to your concepts and will be viewed as geezers and Fudds. Why not try to change the rules at the club to reflect today's standard practice?

I can see myself now...

'Only the military and police should be able to have bionic laser eyes and thought controlled miniguns.'

Fudd comments are at every range I've ever shot at.

most recent: "you cant shoot clays on the berm, i just cleaned it." -Harvard

Somehow I doubt I will personally fall into that trap [smile], but I definitely see what you are saying in my own experience.

Not just the inevitable generation gap, but specifically the generations between 1950 and 1990 developed a very cloistered view of firearms. TV, movies and political events drove this. The NRA fueled this too with their "hunter's rights" pitch to try to soften 2A to something that sounded less confrontational than presenting a check and balance to Tyranny.

Again though, while I can understand why they did this - trying the carrot rather than the stick, it has done a lot of damage to American society's understanding of our rights and why we have them.

I agree though, he wasn't trying to be obnoxious, he "thinks" he is being "safe" but his perceptions of what constitutes safe are invalid. Not just culturally skewed or colored by a generational gap, but illogical.

That's the tough part here. It isn't just about "the kids and their loud Rock and or Roll," there is an awful lot of societal programming at work that we are confronting in the legislature and at the range.

I joked about being rude, but that's not the answer here if the club rules are as you say. The answer is to get involved with your club leadership and develop safety rules that are actually safe rather than nanny nonsense.

I love the, "That's not legal, I'll have to ask my cop buddy, I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have that, what store sold that to you?"

[rofl]

Did they/you do it anyway? The worst they can do is stomp off in a huff. Most of them strike me as very unhappy people in general. It's no surprise they're always giving other shooters a hard time.

[rofl]

Did they/you do it anyway? The worst they can do is stomp off in a huff. Most of them strike me as very unhappy people in general. It's no surprise they're always giving other shooters a hard time.

I was already doing it. The guy was nice and sorta made me feel like I was the prick for making a mess. it was weird. Havard has been getting more Fuddy weather people want to admit it or not.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots, or only five?

large_dirty_harry_blu-ray2d.jpg

my guess is that this guy goes around and tells his neighbors that they cut their grass too long/too short and stick his nose in anything he wants...I would talk to your club's leadership like others have said and gain support to change the rules or find another club with rules that suit you.

The worst is Braintree. Just about every time on the rifle range (If there was a babysitter, er, Range Officer) there would be some FUDD making a comments.

I shot a 10/22 with 10 round mags there not too long ago. I got all kinds of crazy looks for slowly squeezing off 10 rounds at a time.

If they aren't a RO I would tell them to MYOFB.

If they are a RO I would point over their shoulder and tell them the guy muzzle sweeping the line while trying to lock his slide back needs your attention more. And if he didn't like that, I would point over his other shoulder at the guy who isn't hitting on the paper.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but it looks like you aren't supposed to shoot clays on the 25/50 yard range. (I was curious, so I looked it up).

Harvard bylaws (dated 2006) said:
7, 25, 50-YARD RANGE RULES
YOU MAY NOT SHOOT AT:
· ANY target placed on the ground.
· ANY target lower than 36" from the ground.
· ANY target other than those placed at the 7, 25, 50-yard line, or on the backstop.
· ANY target which would leave debris (no glass, clay pigeons, toilets).
· ANY target which would prevent the projectile from impacting the safety berm.
DO NOT change targets at ANY section of this range without clearing the ENTIRE range first.
ALL THE GENERAL RULES APPLY!
16 of 20 Amended March 2, 2006

I'm the 100yd chair at Harvard. Shoot all the clays you want. Be safe. Have fun. Be considerate.
Looks like there are different rules for the 25/50 and the 100.

100-YARD RANGE RULES

YOU MAY SHOOT AT:
· Paper, cardboard or plinking targets set up in frames or on poles at the 100-yard line, bio-degradable clay birds up on the berm.
YOU MAY NOT SHOOT AT:
· ANY target placed on the ground.
· ANY target lower than 36" from the ground.
· ANY target which would leave debris (no glass, nonbiodegradable clay pigeons, toilets).
· ANY target that may cause ricochets such as metal targets, concrete blocks etc.
· No targets are allowed in the marsh. Use the target frames at the 100-yard line.
· Plinking targets must not produce debris.

Hopefully, clay pigeons are labeled as either bio-degradable or not on the box. I sure wouldn't know the difference without a label!

I'm not trying to be a wiseass here - I value my membership there and so I try to stay within the rules; I like the place.

Is it time to bring up the subject of updating the bylaws at the next meeting? I mean, if what's acceptable to shoot has changed, that is, shouldn't the published bylaws be changed?

I'm a member of Marshfield ,it's in between residential nieghborhoods and every club is under all kinds of scrutiny. Most people have coomon sense,some don't. That's why there are speed limits. Neighbors an be good or not so good. I'm a member at Old Colony too,they have round limits also.

I never load, more than one round in my remington rolling block rifle.

I'm a member of Marshfield ,it's in between residential nieghborhoods and every club is under all kinds of scrutiny. Most people have coomon sense,some don't. That's why there are speed limits. Neighbors an be good or not so good. I'm a member at Old Colony too,they have round limits also.

We have 24hr cameras - you really think we need a round limit? Not sure why you mean by speed limits, but IME with this club, it's the hunters who go the range twice a year to sight in that don't have a clue about safety.

This guy today (and apologies if it's you) said some other weird stuff too. For example: he got alarmed about a live round on the grass in front of bench. He started shouting that was a .308 - apparently inferring that I had dropped the round, which made no sense anyways as I was shooting ak. I told him it was .223 and he started arguing about it was .308 in this know it all voice, so finally I just picked it up and showed him. It was bizarre.

Let me guess, you get uncomfortable when people open carry at the range too? This guy today did not look pleased when I took off my button down shirt and was carrying a pistol.

What the hell planet is this "gun club" on? Sounds like an anti-gun club to me. You might want to take your money elsewhere so as not to support the gun grabbers anymore with your hard earned cash.

the range master at Pembroke is a total Fudd.

Edit: But everyone there thinks he is, so if you are there and he gives you s**t, just tell him to F-OFF. I did this weekend, for the second time. he told me i couldnt ahve my gun holstered, he got a big F-YOU. After that, he walked away.

Last edited:
What the hell planet is this "gun club" on? Sounds like an anti-gun club to me. You might want to take your money elsewhere so as not to support the gun grabbers anymore with your hard earned cash.

Ive said it many times, fudds are worse than antis. These are the guys at the office that love to point that own a pistol for target shooting or that they hunt birds twice a year, but of course they support "common sense" bans in assault guns and hi cap mag.

People like that disgust me. I'm not sure that's how this guy today thinks, but when you are counting rounds fire and confront someone for shooting 7 or 8 rounds instead of 6 out of mag made for 30 - you can pretty much assume people are going to think you are a Zumbo.

Ive said it many times, fudds are worse than antis. These are the guys at the office that love to point that own a pistol for target shooting or that they hunt birds twice a year, but of course they support "common sense" bans in assault guns and hi cap mag.

People like that disgust me. I'm not sure that's how this guy today thinks, but when you are counting rounds fire and confront someone for shooting 7 or 8 rounds instead of 6 out of mag made for 30 - you can pretty much assume people are going to think you are a Zumbo.

Those fudds are like cops. They get a little bit of power and think they are the man and can tell other people what to do. I only yell at people for 2 things: 1) if they sound the bell to stop shooting when I am in the middle of shooting (I just ignore it and keep shooting, then yell at them for not asking), and 2) when they shoot at the hundred yard gong diagonaly. Only because there is a school near by, and i dont want that bullet to end up in the school. Besides that, I really dont give a F*** what other people do.

You were quite polite to the guy. I would have been tempted to ask him if he wanted to conduct a short arm inspection on me to make sure that I didn't have more than 5 or 6.

· ANY target which would leave debris (no glass, clay pigeons, toilets).

Were people shooting toilets a large problem before this rule was passed? [laugh]

Those fudds are like cops. They get a little bit of power and think they are the man and can tell other people what to do. I only yell at people for 2 things: 1) if they sound the bell to stop shooting when I am in the middle of shooting (I just ignore it and keep shooting, then yell at them for not asking), and 2) when they shoot at the hundred yard gong diagonaly. Only because there is a school near by, and i dont want that bullet to end up in the school. Besides that, I really dont give a F*** what other people do.

Ironically, this guy walked right down range without hitting the switch.

I know this is a fudd club (the vast majority of members strongly support the round limit) black rifles are tolerated barely, but certainly not welcome.

Every time I go there I hear snide comments "why do you have a flashlight on a rifle" ans so on.. But, I'm polite and don't stir the pot as this place is close my house and, aesthetically, it's a gorgeous, well maintained club. Of course, I'm not perfect so every once in a while I need to vent on the NES :)

You should have thanked him energetically and told him that at the end of every magazine you like to hold your rifle above your head and yell "WOLVERINES".

Thank him once again, because now you'll get to yell "WOLVERINES" 6 times more often. And, proceed with the 5 mag rule until he leaves.

Back
Top Bottom