Full Auto Sear For $23?

I sent the guy a msg asking about the sear. Just got back to me saying that we can do the deal off of GB [thinking]
Sums up how I would approach it:

I was under the impression that having any FA part (bolt excluded) and the firearm on the same property constituted conspiracy to manufacture a NFA item.. much like having a SBR upper w/o it being on a pistol lower.
Disclaimer, I'm not giving advice, I am asking. Seems like Boston's Gun Bible had a few pages on exactly that..

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see what a "semi auto" bolt looks like in comparison to these supposed auto bolts are. I've heard that there is geometry on the rear of "auto" bolts that engage the sear and that on semi-auto bolts there is no machine work to do this.

I do know that a lot of WASR rifles are made out of military parts kits. Perhaps there are models of WASRs that were built solely for export as semi auto rifles. I am not well versed in their differences between models, so perhaps there are semi auto AK bolts out there.

I would like to see what a "semi auto" bolt looks like in comparison to these supposed auto bolts are. I've heard that there is geometry on the rear of "auto" bolts that engage the sear and that on semi-auto bolts there is no machine work to do this.

I do know that a lot of WASR rifles are made out of military parts kits. Perhaps there are models of WASRs that were built solely for export as semi auto rifles. I am not well versed in their differences between models, so perhaps there are semi auto AK bolts out there.

By bolt, I meant the bolt carrier group (sorry for the confusion). Detailed breakdown here:
http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?Itemid=42&id=29&option=com_content&task=view

By bolt, I meant the bolt carrier group (sorry for the confusion). Detailed breakdown here:
http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?Itemid=42&id=29&option=com_content&task=view

ah, gotcha. There still may be a difference between AKM bolts, though. Not sure if there is, though. So you got me looking at my bolts and carriers.

I pulled the carriers from a few AKMs that I had on had (PSL, Romanian G, AMD-65, Bulgy AK74) and examined them. All of these rifles were military rifles at one time in their life, and all had a rate reducer in them. Even the PSL even though it only was semi-auto (it lacked the auto sear in it's military form). The PSL had the rade reducer as a safety precaution to prevent slam fires, so it had a carrier that had the features needed to operate a rate reducer (reset it, anyways). I know the rate reducer and whatever it was to operate it was removed by the importer (in my case, Century Arms).

IMG_1016.jpg

You can see the PSL carrier at the bottom of this picture. The other carriers are above it.

IMG_1017.jpg

Here you can see a machined section of the carrier. This is the region of the carrier that would reset the auto rate reducer when the bolt carrier flies back after a shot when it resets the hammer.

IMG_1018.jpg

and here, clearly, you can see extra machining work that isn't congruent with the other machine work used to form the carrier back when it was born.

So yes, you can have a semi-auto carrier in an AKM. However, it could still fire automatically (theoretically) if you had the 3rd pin, auto sear, and a "semi-auto" carrier.... your rate reducer just wouldn't work. And you'd quickly find that your illegal AK would fire out of control (probably).

I sent the guy a msg asking about the sear. Just got back to me saying that we can do the deal off of GB [thinking]

It is not a controlled part. It requires the readily visible modification of the receiver for installation. Guessing that about 99% of all the ak kits that came into and sold in this country(millions?) had one in it so they're not uncommon, I'd be surprised if he got $23 for it from anyone.

It is not a controlled part. It requires the readily visible modification of the receiver for installation. Guessing that about 99% of all the ak kits that came into and sold in this country(millions?) had one in it so they're not uncommon, I'd be surprised if he got $23 for it from anyone.

I have to agree...I am pretty surprised that this is now 4 pages long...I put a paperclip for sale on GB will you guys want to talk about it for 4 pages [laugh] seriously its just a little non-regulated part, that will take siginificant (illegal) modification to the gun to use it...I know the "tin foil" can run tight on many of us here, but "sear" really shouldn't be a bad word...if this guy was selling some sort of DIAS (drop in auto sear) then OK I can understand the fuss, but plain old sears don't worry (don't waste your money but dont worry).

You missed serious ADD and lack of sleep on my part. [wink]
I was comparing the legalities of what I read with AR parts (BCGs ok, sear == bad). It made sense in my head. [smile]
Not a problem...happens to us all...

One point though...again much like this AK situation, while it really would serve you no purpose, I don't believe there is any specifc issue with owning an AR and owning a "regular" factory type M16 sear. Because again like the AK it would require additional intential acts to utilize illegally (drilling/milling). Certainly that is not the case with the unregistered DIAS's seen for sale, which are only "legal" if you don't own an AR...

There is a whole mess written on it here:
http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/ar_15_auto_sear_faq.txt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom