Game Cameras?

Been trying to use my game camera the last few weeks. My problem is that there is a delay between the motion sensor getting tripped and the thing actually taking the picture. I've had it out on a couple of trails, gotten a bunch of pictures and there are NO deer in them.

I tested it yesterday by walking by it at a regular pace. It took a picture (with the slight delay). I took the memory card home and checked it and I was NOT in the picture. It is too slow to even get me walking never mind a deer. Very frustrating.

I did get one pic that included a spike antler and ear only. He must have been walking right at the camera and by the tree. I just sprayed some doe urine right in front of it in hopes they stop for a second on the trail to take sniff.

Camera is the Wildview brand from Dick's. I believe it is the cheaper model that was around $60 last Xmas.

Is anyone out there using a reasonably priced camera they have had good luck with? I want to be sure on the next one.

BTW, these things are a fantastic tool for hunting (if they work..). I want to have a couple of them running next season.

It is possible. Actually I think it is.

But, the quality of the pics would be more than adequate if it would just take the picture on time.

dbhn,

With the lower priced cams you have to accept several concessions. The major one is trigger time. There are a couple tricks to keeping the deer in the sensor longer.

One is if you are camming a deer trail is to angle the sensor down the trail instead of completely perpendicular to it. A 45 to 60 degree angle is about perfect.

Two always try to set the cam away from the sun.

Three, drop a little food in front of the cam (if not hunting season) or if in season use a little scent to make them stop and investigate.

Four, set the cam closer to the outside edge of its range. The closer to the deer the camera is the less time it has to take a picture and still have the deer in it.

Active scrapes are great places to cam as the deer will stop there

Here are a few of my pics from last week. You can see what ranges I am getting the deer in. However my cams are very fast on the trigger so I can get away with a lot more.

1st cam

795292-R1-006-1A_002.jpg

795292-R1-008-2A_003.jpg

795292-R1-030-13A_012.jpg

795292-R1-036-16A_015.jpg

795292-R1-042-19A_018.jpg

:eek:
795292-R1-052-24A_023.jpg

2nd cam

795293-R1-006-1A_001.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
795293-R1-008-2A_002.jpg

795293-R1-010-3A_003.jpg

795293-R1-012-4A_004.jpg

795293-R1-014-5A_005.jpg

795293-R1-016-6A_006.jpg

Wow. Looks like you have a couple of real nice spots there. Let us know how it goes. Makes me feel like a chump when I only got one pic with an a portion of an antler in it.

Thanks for the tips too. I will try out a couple of them asap.

BTW, I was in stand all day yesterday. Saw nothing.... And I am not able to get back out until end of Nov.

Those pics make me hungry!

This should make you hungrier!! [smile]

Had a button buck come in monday morning at 7:15 and stayed under me less than 20 yards away for 2 hours. Presented shot after shot after shot and finally I could not take it any more. Plus I had to leave and really did not want to spook him away even though I threw sticks at him and he did not get the hint. Last straw was he stepped in the perfect lane to ventilate him on video!

PA130108.jpg

So at least I now have venison again.

Gave the land owner the heart and liver, he saw the big ivory 8 posted above sunday night at 5 pm in the field and he walked right by my stand to get there.

I will be pulling the film again tomorrow. Will post the pics up again.

I bought the Wildview .3 for 50 bucks...
its trigger delay was horrible..so I returned it.

I then bought the Stealth Cam 430IR with the infrared flash, it was cool to have the IR but again, the trigger delay sucked, and so I returned it.

I would think that cameras under 200 bucks will experience the same problem, but I'll let the experts comment on that.

I am saving my money and investing in a guided hunt for deer!

Back
Top Bottom