• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH law changes - Tree Stands and Game Cameras

Typical of the idiots in Concord not providing an exemption for the actual property owner placing a camera on THEIR OWN property
The law doesn't apply on your own property.

(a) No person shall place a game camera that records or transmits images or data of any kind while unattended outside on the private property of another...

The law doesn't apply on your own property.

(a) No person shall place a game camera that records or transmits images or data of any kind while unattended outside on the private property of another...

For some reason OP's linked story fails to include this from the RSAs

III. A person who places a game camera on the private property of another, or on state owned or state managed property, shall label the camera with the name and contact information of the camera owner in a manner visible while mounted.

For some reason OP's linked story fails to include this from the RSAs

III. A person who places a game camera on the private property of another, or on state owned or state managed property, shall label the camera with the name and contact information of the camera owner in a manner visible while mounted.

VIII. All tree stands or observation blinds shall be labeled with the name and contact information of the owner of the tree stand or observation blind in a clearly visible manner.

Tree Stand & Trail Cam Trust.

"A person using a game camera to assist with hunting may not harvest any animal viewed within the same calendar day of remotely viewing that animal from a game camera"

WTF?
There was a great moral panic among some sportsmen's groups that new technology was letting people use live view game cams connected to cellular networks. Their theory was that upon spotting a deer on camera, a hunter could then rush right out and shoot the deer without having to do any actual hunting.

This came up last term when I was on the House F&G committee. The commission's experts testified, "Uhh... deer don't work like that."

Having read this thread it appears that we have some folks here that are very duplicitous. In the past they cried how it was their property and they control what and who they allow on it. Now the state has a law that further assists them with that and they bitch again.

"A person using a game camera to assist with hunting may not harvest any animal viewed within the same calendar day of remotely viewing that animal from a game camera"

WTF?
I don’t know how they could enforce this. How do they know that you viewed the picture from the game camera?

I don’t know how they could enforce this. How do they know that you viewed the picture from the game camera?
They can't unless they get the camera and the sim card along with the kill report. This where in all reality a law was created that has a very difficult enforcement issue. I would like to see in the process of creating this law who was the person that added that to the bill.

So my new “shooting shack” for next season will have cameras nearby to notify me when deer walk by, or if any person does. Am I going to turn off the notifications on a day that I am planning to hunt? “Nope”

Years ago, MA required that arrows be labeled with name/address of archer. They got rid of that and the mandate to display fishing/hunting license on your person.
NH had required this when I first started archery hunting there in the 90's. This is not new.

MA I don't think has ever required it that I know of, I started hunting in the mid 1980's. They used to have the license on your person law but dropped that.

VIII. All tree stands or observation blinds shall be labeled with the name and contact information of the owner of the tree stand or observation blind in a clearly visible manner.

Tree Stand & Trail Cam Trust.
Maine and NH have this.....at. least the fishcop show people have been charged with not having names on stands.

Last edited:
LIVE FREE OR DIE. Seems like some crazy mAss people made it in. 🤬[angry2]
Yeah....except MA has none of the camera, arrow, or treestand ID laws that I know of. So.....how's that work?

There may be treestand ID laws on state land in MA.....I don't leave stands on state land, so i never checked, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

WTF?
Not for nothing...but one of my hunting buddies saw a the biggest buck they've ever seen, and one they'd been trying to get all year, run by their cam, it came up on the phone and some other hunter had shot it.

They ran over there and actually got to the kill before the guy that shot it got to it. The only reason they knew is cause of the phone pic. They didn't claim the deer, but all the "first knife in the deer" guys would have, and this buck was amazing for MA. How would you have felt if this was a big buck that you shot and someone got to it first just cause the cam pic on their phone?

Do you think they might have stalked that camera or quietly tried to hunt down the trail that deer was headed if the deer was just walking by slowly. They fxcking absolutely would have, doesn't guarantee a kill, but certainly gives them intel on the fly and a big edge.

How many deer have been shot in the field by guys at their house who have cams at entrances to the field and get a snap of the deer on their phone, get off their easy chair watching TV, grab a rifle and get ready and shoot the deer out their window or front porch. I'm sure a few.

I don't really care...but lets not try to say that these things aren't being used for an advantage other than not having to go pull a card.

Same reason Alaska doesn't allow you to fly and hunt the same day.

They didn't have these phone cams yet, when I hunted CT, but I would have absolutely been able to kill a ton of deer just running over to properties, after getting a fresh cell pic telling me deer were at one of my other spots, rather than the one I was sitting at. Because deer down there just stand and look at you half the time because they are used to people.

Last edited:
NH had required this when I first started archery hunting there in the 90's. This is not new.

MA I don't think has ever required it that I know of, I started hunting in the mid 1980's. They used to have the license on your person law but dropped that.
This was back in the day of aluminum arrows and a Bear take-down recurve. My memory assumed it was for MA, but we could've been hunting NH.

Back
Top Bottom