Garand Arrived Today

My M1 Garand arrived today from CMP. I work the night shift, but when I got home, I couldn't get to sleep until the FedEx truck arrived. It is a SG HRA. As far as I can tell, the receiver is from 1953-54 and the barrell is stamped 7-54, also HRA. So it looks like I got an original barrell. Stock looks to be original as well, but I cannot tell. What other markings should I be looking for? I would like to get as much history as I can about this gun. BTW, the wife was not too thrilled, but when I told her it was the same typed of rifle carried by her father on D-Day, she was a little less perturbed. Here are a few pictures.[smile] IMG_20130820_164311_314.jpg IMG_20130820_164302_550.jpg IMG_20130820_164246_936.jpg

There should be a cartouche on the stock just under the receiver on the opposite side of the bolt release/handle. Also another cartouche on that same side closer to the buttstock.

I have an HRA 55 (receiver and barrel) and it has cartouches in those places. I have a shitty cell phone camera otherwise I'd show good pics of them.

There should be a cartouche on the stock just under the receiver on the opposite side of the bolt release/handle. Also another cartouche on that same side closer to the buttstock.

I have an HRA 55 (receiver and barrel) and it has cartouches in those places. I have a shitty cell phone camera otherwise I'd show good pics of them.

On the stock, I did see a "P" grip near the trigger guard and a "RA-something" on the left side of the stock (opposite the charging handle). The bolt has another set of numbers, but it is also HRA.

I love when grown men get this excited for new toys! My wife sometimes has a confused look when i bring home a newfirearm, and i'm beyond excited to get to the range. People just sometimes don't get our excitement - their loss!

Nice, now its time to get to a cmp John garand match now....I get a silly when new stuff arrives but if I want to feel 10 again I just grab a few empty cans a d the red ryder

Nice!

There's a few of us waiting on SG HRAs, so if you can post the dates when you submitted your paperwork, when they sent you the "do not bother us" email, and when it first showed up in the eStore that would give the rest of us a few more data points to help guess when ours might show up.

I submitted my paperwork in early May, got the DNBU email on May 28, and my order hit the eStore on July 16. I'm hoping any day now, but I guess it could be another month or more. My order number is 471523.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Greg

As far as I can recall, paperwork was mailed in April. I got the confirmation email a couple of weeks later. Hit estore on 6/25/13. The only phone call I received was about my expired credit card. Received notice that it shipped this past Monday for Tuesday delivery.

Going to the range on Thursday.

You got very lucky! All of the last three Garands (HRA or SA) I have received from CMP in the last year had Boyds pumpkin wood on them, requiring me to spend an additional couple hundred dollars and lots of effort tracking down something more original. Only the first HRA and WRA I got from them 2-3 years ago had correct wood. I'm sure it looks better than the pictures....

As far as I can recall, paperwork was mailed in April. I got the confirmation email a couple of weeks later. Hit estore on 6/25/13. The only phone call I received was about my expired credit card. Received notice that it shipped this past Monday for Tuesday delivery.

Going to the range on Thursday.

Sweet -- thanks so much for the info! Have fun at the range, hopefully I'm just two or three weeks behind you.

It looks like GI wood to me. the cartuches would be on the left side of the stock and there should be a circle P in the bottom of the pistol grip.

There were not much for stamps on HRA's

I so want to put in another M1 order, but I am trying to pay other bills. Every time someone posts one I get antsy again.

Nice rifle I am filled with jealously. I placed an order for a HRA Service grade and a can of ammo not to long ago. I sent my paperwork in on April 27th, got my confirmation email August 6th, and am now waiting for it to hit the estore. I paid by check so they have already taken the money out. The wait is killing me.

Back
Top Bottom