• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Original m1 garand bayonet?

Agnotology

NES Member
Part of the cleanout I helped with....

Thinks it's original? I got a "waffen ss" knife. Conspicuously has "made in china" on it.

Attachments

• 20231214_141118.jpg
    20231214_141118.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 20231214_141124.jpg
    20231214_141124.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 141
How bad are the mags? They may clean up
I believe they are .308 mags, but I am not sure what they are to. I will attempt to clean up one of the crappier ones and see what possible markings are on them. They are heavy corroded inside and out. We also pulled a very heavy .308 barrel that is 26" long. Might be a M700 barrel. There are some markings on it. It's at least 1" thick and solid through and through.

We found a dozen original Colt-branded .45 mags, but the a**h*** son of the caretaker took them, despite everything gun-related being already paid for inside the house. Not worth pissing in cheerios for rusted but original mags.

We got a bunch of bagged Stanag-style steel mags with a date of manufacture still on the bags. 1984.

That bayonet looks European. Wrong pommel for a Garand; the pommel reminds me of a SMLE mechanism, as do a few of the other features. But there's an overall crudeness to the manufacture that I've never really seen before.

No, wood looks way to fresh as does the rust.
How about the mags?

That bayonet looks European. Wrong pommel for a Garand; the pommel reminds me of a SMLE mechanism, as do a few of the other features. But there's an overall crudeness to the manufacture that I've never really seen before.

This piece wasn't in the basement, which is to say, hadn't been in a basement that got 2 inches of standing water every time it rained. My buddy in charge of the clean out has 3 .303 Lee-Enfields, and once we clean up the bayonet, we are pretty sure its to that. And based on what I am seeing online, including proof marks, that bayonet may be a 120 year old original one.

Hmmm. Czech VZ24?

Yeah, looks Czech to me, too.

Yep, 100% right. Proof marks I was looking at upside down. Clearly says "CSZ C" so we have positive confirmation.... and that leather is original on the scabbard. Cool peice.

Will post pictures of it when it is cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom