Garand question

I've seen this Garand for sale in Mass. advertised as a post-war Springfield Armory, 95%, for $650. Is that a reasonable price if it's truly as advertised, clean, and in good working order?
976629871-2.jpg

Thanks.

That serial number range for SA was made between 1952-54. That's a very good price, but there are still a few questions, such as how many of the major parts are SA from that time period? It's been my (albeit somewhat limited) experience that these later guns tend to have more original parts, probably because they did not see the mass cleanings and repairs common in WWII. Check it out, it might just be a very good buy.

Here's a link to Dick Culver's website and the M1 serial number article:

http://www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html

Don't be in a big rush. There are a gazillion Garands out there and can be found cheaper. If it's all "correct" they can fetch $$$ as collector items. The vast majority are Govt rebuilds and the CMP is the best and cheapest place to find them. I have 2 from the CMP.
In a private sale, watch for import marks. Also, some were impotered from Korea after they had been demilled. Receivers had been cut and then someone got the idea to reweld them. You DO NOT want a reweld.
Do some homework and read as much as you can. There's a ton of info on the net and plenty of people who will answer all questions.

This is my 1944 SA
finishedSAM1.jpg

And this is my HRA
m1-1.jpg

Jon's points are well taken. After some discussions with Tom at Four Seasons on what to look for so as not to buy a dangerous re-weld, I decided to go the DCM/CMP route as well.

M1s and M1 Carbines were both imported and could have been screwed around with in the "channels" before being sold to unsuspecting folks. Best to ONLY buy from reliable sources and become expert on what to look for.

Here's some resources to help you:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/
http://www.chestnutridge.com/gchart.asp
http://www.garandcollector.org/
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/sales.htm

Once they're yours, they're yours. The CMP frowns upon people buying and selling them on a regular basis for a profit. If I HAD to, I'd sell mine without worries but I hope and pray that never happens!

Just take your time and look around. The good thing about the one you're looking at is, you actually get to see what you're getting.
I prefer to be surprised! Just the wait and then opening that box was like Christmas morn.

I've seen some high prices asked for CMP Garands. $650 is high for a CMP Garand, since you can get one from them for $400 to $500, depending on condition.

Now, if it was a Winchester WW2 production receiver, $650 wouldn't be bad. But post WW2 Springfields are what you'll likely get from CMP, and are the best ones for a shooter. Almost all Garands have seen a lot of service and have been rebuilt a couple of times. So, they won't be original.

swamp yankee said:
Don't you have to join a shooting club to get a rifle from CMP?

Yes, you must be a member of a CMP Affiliated club to purchase from CMP.

That's only $20, if you join cwertain clubs. Check out fredsm14stocks.com for info on the RWVA club. They qualify and last I knew cost $20.

Belonging to GOAL or the Garand Collectors Assn both qualify in lieu of a CMP-affiliated gun club.

DD214, active military, LE, or >65(?) all qualify in lieu of shooting a match.

Read all the requirements on the website I posted above.

Nickle said:
National Guard or Reserve service count as well as Active Duty.

Isn't a DD214 a DD214, regardless of which branch, active vs. NG vs. reserve? Having never been in the military, please educate me?

Guardsmen and Reservesists don't receive DD214's at the end of their tour. They do get one from Boot Camp, though. CMP covers the proof of membership in their application process, IIRC.

From CMP's website:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.

Current or past law enforcement service

Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.

Concealed Carry License.

Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.

FFL or C&R license.

Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Looks like I was way off on what qualifies these days. It is a lot looser than it was in 2000 when I got mine.

Anyone with LTC/CCW, C&R FFL, etc. (just to list the most common qualifiers for New Englanders) would qualify vs. shooting a match.

NRA Instructor has been a Qualifier for some time.
That's how I got mine from the CMP.
Three M1 Garands, an M1903, 03A3, 1917, 513T.
(did I miss something? it's late...)
This was, of course, over a number of years....
The CMP is a great source & org.

Sent the paperwork in for a 1917 Enfield barreled receiver yesterday. Got to looking at the paperwork, and noticed that I don't even have to be a member of any club. Military/Retired Military are exempt from that as well.

Nickle said:
Sent the paperwork in for a 1917 Enfield barreled receiver yesterday. Got to looking at the paperwork, and noticed that I don't even have to be a member of any club. Military/Retired Military are exempt from that as well.

WRONG!!

You do belong to a club when you are Mil/Ret Mil . . . Uncle Sam's Club!! [wink] [lol]

You got me. Add certain veterans org's as well. Hell, I'll add the entire list:

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:

You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country. Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our “CLUB Info” tab on our web site at www.odcmp.com. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing [email protected]. We will find one for you.

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates.
Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase.

These special affiliates include:
• Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations such as the VFW, AL,
DAV, MCL
, etc.

• U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include
retirees.

• Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations
such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.
Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or
videos or CMP memorabilia.

Nickle said:
• Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations
such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.
This one is new to me. I don't believe that this was there last year when I purchased my rifles. I wonder if a state Org. like the MPA would qualify? We used to belong to NAPO but I never got a membership card from them.
I'll still keep my membership in the GCA though.

Back
Top Bottom