German K98 w/ Waffen Stamps?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
So I've handled a few K98s recently with prices ranging from $500 to $3K and honestly I couldn't really tell the difference between them, functionality wise that is. The cheaper model was a Russian capture with the X stamped on the receiver. Still had the front site hood and a reproduction cleaning rod. Looked in good shape to me, but serial numbers were mixed. One Waffen was in place but others had been punched down.

Now the most expensive model was all matching with all Waffens in place. The rifle was in better shape then the Russian capture, but not $2,500 better. It was missing the sight hood, but had a correct cleaning rod.

Functionality wise they felt exactly the same. So if I want to shoot this rifle I'm thinking the correct high end K98 is not the way to go. If I paid $3K I'm feeling it would be a safe queen, so I'm thinking not worth it. Unless I'm missing something. Am I missing something? Overall I'm thinking a Russian capture would be a better option.

I'd like to hear from people who have a K98 and you're experience with them. Thanks

Last edited:
My all-matching Kar98 was brought home from Europe by my grandfather, who passed away several years ago. So when I take it out I think of him, the stories he used to tell, my childhood, and an earlier different America.

The non-Russian captured rifles that you find in the US today were not (likely) handled by Communist bureaucrats half a world away. The all-matching Kar98s are American Captured rifles...either brought home by individuals or part of an organized effort to get them out of Germany into the bins of hardware stores across 1950s America.

The all-matching Kar98s are a testament to America's participation in defeating Nazi Germany. It also is a testament to a mutual trust between American government and US citizens that used to exist...trust to the extent that weapons of a defeated first-rate military could be distributed freely and unmodified for civilian use. Contrast to what we saw of the flow of Iraqi small arms into civilian hands after the Second Gulf War.

All-matching Kar98's today are even rarer, because hunters of the 50s could do what they wish with the rifles...which at the time meant turning them into hunting rifles for their own practical purposes.

This is why all-matching Kar98s command a premium today.

Last edited:
If you just want a shooter Mauser style rifle look at a Yugoslavian M48. Excellent rifles.
82ccc487981b512ec8cb4b4fb77938fb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Definitely go for the RC if you want a shooter. I have a RC, plus a Yugo captured 98k and both of them feel and shoot just as well as a 100% matching GI bring back. I also have an 1941 byf (Mauser Oberndorf) that was used by the Israelis after WWII. For me, owning a rifle that was captured and re-purposed adds to story. The fact that they are much cheaper is a bonus.

The Yugo 24/47, M48 are also good and cheap.

A 1955 double-die penny feels pretty similar to any other, so why is it worth $1500+?

Wow, really?? I haven't tracked the value of coins since I was a teenager.

As to the K98s. One is a shooter (relatively cheap) and the others are "collectibles" valued for their condition and providence.

Back
Top Bottom