• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting a C&R Rifle: 30-06 vs 30-40 Krag

I’m on the hunt for a new to me C&R level bolt action rifle. What caliber do you prefer? 30-06 or 30-40 Krag? Any real word experience on the difference between calibers and their performance?
Go for something in 30-06 like a Springfield 1903. A Krag is great but ammo is very expensive , if you can find it, and even if you reload the components like brass are not easy to find.

If you reload, get a Krag. It is the smoothest bolt action ever made. It's also the weirdest with that flip open side box magazine. Just don't load 'em hot since, with that 1 lug bolt, it's also one of the weaker bolt actions.

If you reload, get a Krag. It is the smoothest bolt action ever made. It's also the weirdest with that flip open side box magazine. Just don't load 'em hot since, with that 1 lug bolt, it's also one of the weaker bolt actions.
@Rockrivr1 Does not reload. He had a whole thread on it.

So, I say go with the 30-06, you'll be able to shoot it more often....

EDIT: He HATES reloading!

Actually have a 308 Garand already. Excellent rifle. Looking at a bolt action like a Krag or a 1917 for this purchase.

View attachment 846172
how is the barrel on it, is it close to 1moa or goes wider? cmp has them from time to time, i kinda think of getting one.
but i load all my .308 kinda hot, that may be an issue with those, right?

@Rockrivr1 you should seriously consider a simple, single stage reloading set up.

The 30-40 has a cool history, it somewhat replaced the 45-70, also another cartridge with nice history. The 30-40 was the first smokeless cartridge for the U.S army.

If money is not an issue or you only plan to shoot one box of ammo per year, then not sure why you are asking.

But if you want to have fun, go with the 30-40 and reload for it.

The point of buying a bunch of guns you don't need is to enjoy them.

Last edited:
there are a few 06 1917 enfields in nice shape for silly prices at cabelas hudson. i got mine wayback on the cheap. heavy rifle but comfortable to shoot

how is the barrel on it, is it close to 1moa or goes wider? cmp has them from time to time, i kinda think of getting one.
but i load all my .308 kinda hot, that may be an issue with those, right?

So far I’m getting very good results with standard commercial ammo. I haven’t tried match ammo yet. These come with brand new Criterion barrels and are very strong.

You're probably going to get the .30-06.

If so, get an M1917. People love the '03, but the 1917 is the better rifle. Cock-on-closing FTW.
Agreed on .30-06, especially if you are not a reloader. M1-safe rounds will work great in any vintage bolt action too.

Gonna disagree with you on this one regarding the 1917. Different, but not better. @Rockrivr1 should check out '03's, 1917's, and even 03A3's before picking one. I find the 1917 to be much more cumbersome to shoot vs. an '03.

An Israeli Mauser in .308 would make a cool vintage bolt gun with the easiest ammo to find. Most if not all of your Walmart .30-06 ammo will be heavy hunting loads that shouldn't be run in vintage iron.

Gonna disagree with you on this one regarding the 1917. Different, but not better. @Rockrivr1 should check out '03's, 1917's, and even 03A3's before picking one. I find the 1917 to be much more cumbersome to shoot vs. an '03.

Fair. It's a personal preference thing, definitely. But I know many people don't look any further than the '03.

I've always been glad they're so different: vastly different sights, totally different action.

An Israeli Mauser in 308 is a great idea for someone who doesn't reload. Ammo would be more widely available and less expensive. I know nothing about them but would guess they're all more than 50 years old making them C&R. The 98 Mauser is one of the greats. Very strong and easily scoped. I have one in 8mm but don't shoot it much cause it kicks like a mule.

I agree that neither one outshines the other. I have an '03, '03A3 and M1917. The M1917 definitely goes to the range more often than the Springfields but it's due to the ergonomics. It just fits me better.
The Krag definitely has the smoothest action but is far less robust.

If you're willing to spend the money on 30/40 ammo, you might want to consider a Mosin or Japanese Type 99. Both are ugly but very strong. Of the two, ammo will be easier to find and cheaper for the Mosin. Since you already have a 308, why not take Mountain's advice and get a Mauser in that caliber?

Back
Top Bottom