• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting a C&R Rifle: 30-06 vs 30-40 Krag

Agreed on .30-06, especially if you are not a reloader. M1-safe rounds will work great in any vintage bolt action too.

Gonna disagree with you on this one regarding the 1917. Different, but not better. @Rockrivr1 should check out '03's, 1917's, and even 03A3's before picking one. I find the 1917 to be much more cumbersome to shoot vs. an '03.

An Israeli Mauser in .308 would make a cool vintage bolt gun with the easiest ammo to find. Most if not all of your Walmart .30-06 ammo will be heavy hunting loads that shouldn't be run in vintage iron.
Mauser conversions are great.
I love my 45/70 Mauser.

A well made conversion with nice wood and refinished rifle looks awesome. I love that safari look that is so hard to get today.

As far as history, I am one of those that likes to rpeserve history, but there are millions of these rifles floating around so I don't mind a nice conversion.

I've got to chime in support for the 1917 Enfield: rugged, reliable, accurate. I've got one with a Criterion barrel, 2 MOA with hand loads. Probably could do better with proper stock fitting. If you can find an old Parker Hale 5B aperture rear sight, it would be a tack-driver!

Krag. It’s too cool to not have one. The side magazine works via “magic”, it’s smooth as silk, was a popular hunting round when surplus guns were cheap, and isn’t as bulky as a 1917. I have a Krag carbine and it’s awesome

You're probably going to get the .30-06.

If so, get an M1917. People love the '03, but the 1917 is the better rifle. Cock-on-closing FTW.
Cocks-on-opening. FTW. A more natural and smoother motion.
Mauser conversions are great.
I love my 45/70 Mauser.

A well made conversion with nice wood and refinished rifle looks awesome. I love that safari look that is so hard to get today.

As far as history, I am one of those that likes to rpeserve history, but there are millions of these rifles floating around so I don't mind a nice conversion.
That's what people said about original 1911's, 1903's, and others that they butchered.

I mean, it's mostly personal preference, but Enfield actions went up against Mauser actions a few times over the 20th century, and the winning side wasn't usually the one that carried the Mausers.

That's what people said about original 1911's, 1903's, and others that they butchered.

And there are still a sh*t ton of originals.

In fact, yesterday I saw a "butchered" 1911 that is a competition gun, it was chromed. It was the guys dad and it felt great.

If the person enjoys the gun and takes care of it, whatever. My converted Mauser looks better than it ever did.

I really like my 1917s too. Have three of them. I also have 1903s and 1903a3s. It my opinion the 1903 feels a bit like a toy and the 1903a3 feels like a cheaply made toy with all the stamped parts. The 1917, though, is a nice, heavy, REAL rifle.

I mean, it's mostly personal preference, but Enfield actions went up against Mauser actions a few times over the 20th century, and the winning side wasn't usually the one that carried the Mausers.
I doubt that had as much to do with the action either side was using.

I doubt that had as much to do with the action either side was using.

Yes, and I was being partly tongue-in-cheek, but if you read about the Mons battle at the beginning of WWI, the Brits' rate of rifle fire was enough to make the Germans think they were facing machine guns across the river.

Cock-on-closing is notably fast, and the BEF trained in a way that optimized that advantage.

I want a Krag, I like .30-40 Krag, I like everything about the Krag rifle except the weak bolt which is why I'm hesitant to buy one because IDK what condition the bolt would be in if I bought it. That and I'm not in a position to do more reloading than I already do.

For a C&R, I'm sure that .30-06 is more sought after due to cheaper ammo, but the Krags aren't going to be around forever and the Milsurp collectors are going to be around for centuries, thus the Krags will go up in value over the next several decades.

There are 2 Enfields in the classifieds. A 1917 30/06 and a Lee in 308.

There are a couple of 1917s at the moment, but the .308s are Ishy versions of SMLEs. I don't think the SMLE is on the OP's list.

Back when I was selling my Pattern 14 several years ago, it got just about ZERO interest here on NES. I ended up selling it elsewhere. I wasn't all that surprised (.303 is not all that popular), but my sense was that the "type" of rifle just wasn't all that well-known here?

I have a P14 and like it a lot. Ammo is no problem because I load for it. I can use the same jacketed bullets for the Mosin and the Type 99. Quite ugly but very strong. The Type 99 is chrome lined. I read that it's chrome lined because the Japanese knew it was going to be used in a hot and humid environment.

Great choice. You'll enjoy it. Those things shoot nicely.

Personally, I like the ones with patches and repairs. Those are history, and that's a big part of why I like milsurps.

how is the barrel on it, is it close to 1moa or goes wider? cmp has them from time to time, i kinda think of getting one.
but i load all my .308 kinda hot, that may be an issue with those, right?
Off subject but a M1 garand chamber will take any thing that is with in 30-06 loading specs. The burn rate of the powder can influence the gas port pressure which in return can be over loaded and damage the rifle

I agree that neither one outshines the other. I have an '03, '03A3 and M1917. The M1917 definitely goes to the range more often than the Springfields but it's due to the ergonomics. It just fits me better.
The Krag definitely has the smoothest action but is far less robust.
Hm , I find the 1917 more like a 2x4 ?
03 hate the sights
A3 with out the C type stock not very fitting
98k in 308 is a fun shooter
These are all from shooting perspective not just owning it.

Of all the military based bolt guns
I rather shoot the 1903a3 with C stock because of the adjustable sights.
Love to find a 1903a3 with trash barrel and re chamber for 308

After that the K31 only reason it does not top the 1903a3 is ammo availability and lack of aperture sights. IF I ever get a set if the aperture sights for my K31 my other rifles will get dusty.

I do like my swede mauser
Love it when hairbuns ask what is that old thing and what does it shoot
I get to say 1913 mauser , 6.5 bro…. The look on their face.

Im at the point if it does not have aperture style sights I dont like shooting it much other than just plinking.

03 hate the sights

After that the K31 only reason it does not top the 1903a3 is ammo availability and lack of aperture sights. IF I ever get a set if the aperture sights for my K31 my other rifles will get dusty.

Im at the point if it does not have aperture style sights I dont like shooting it much other than just plinking.
M1917 is bigger... fits my frame better.
1903, I switched to the Marine Corps sights...much better.
03-A3 I swapped the straight stock for a C-stock

I'm with you on aperture sights. I added an aperture to my Finn M39 and it was a vast improvement. I need to look at my K31 and come up with an option... perhaps making my own.

I have access to the prep tool, spacers and proof rounds to convert your 03-A3 chamber from 30-06 to 308. :cool:

M1917 is bigger... fits my frame better.
1903, I switched to the Marine Corps sights...much better.
03-A3 I swapped the straight stock for a C-stock

I'm with you on aperture sights. I added an aperture to my Finn M39 and it was a vast improvement. I need to look at my K31 and come up with an option... perhaps making my own.

I have access to the prep tool, spacers and proof rounds to convert your 03-A3 chamber from 30-06 to 308. :cool:
If I were to ever do it, it would be with a brand new barrel chambered for 308.

03 hate the sights

I think Criterium makes .308 1903A3 barrels

Back
Top Bottom