Getting a MA non-resident permit: should I bother?

I live in NH, but I used to live in MA. I took a circuitous route via Florida for a few years. There was only one good thing about living in MA, and that was Harvard's Sportsmans Club. I love that place and really REALLY want to join again. But today, I started puzzling through the "MA Non-Resident Pistol Permit" BS and threw up my hands in despair.

I only go to MA for work and can't carry there anyway. Should I even bother with this $100/year BS? I don't even know how hard it would be. I used to have a Class A/ALP from Arlington and a Green Card, plus I still have my MA State Police pistol trainer creds. Does any of that help?

When I went to the Public Safety website, the first thing that I saw was the "approved firearms roster" and I got pissed off at MA all over again...

What gun club in southern NH is as good as HSC?

I agree Pelham is very good but I've never been to Harvard so I can't compare the two. I'm in the same boat as you I don't want to spend $100 a year (plus whatever it's going to cost for the class) for the MA permit.

I still have my MA State Police pistol trainer creds.
The MSP sent a letter out a couple of years ago to all certified instructors notifying us that the state certification is valid only when you concurrently hold a MA LTC. The non-resident application process is not hard; just expensive.

The MSP sent a letter out a couple of years ago to all certified instructors notifying us that the state certification is valid only when you concurrently hold a MA LTC. The non-resident application process is not hard; just expensive.

So, does that mean that my state trainer certification is gone for good, or gone only until I get a MA permit?

I was intending to do it when I moved to NH but decided it wasn't worth it. I couldn't carry half my stuff I've bought since moving to NH into MA anyway. That and I didn't want the hassle... since I only go to MA for work 2-3 days a week. It would have saved me a bit a driving a few times when I was on my way to work and realized I had a pistol in my jacket.

Getting a MA non-resident permit: should I bother?

I live in NH, but I used to live in MA. I took a circuitous route via Florida for a few years. There was only one good thing about living in MA, and that was Harvard's Sportsmans Club. I love that place and really REALLY want to join again. But today, I started puzzling through the "MA Non-Resident Pistol Permit" BS and threw up my hands in despair.

I only go to MA for work and can't carry there anyway. Should I even bother with this $100/year BS? I don't even know how hard it would be. I used to have a Class A/ALP from Arlington and a Green Card, plus I still have my MA State Police pistol trainer creds. Does any of that help?

When I went to the Public Safety website, the first thing that I saw was the "approved firearms roster" and I got pissed off at MA all over again...
What gun club in southern NH is as good as HSC?

Then why would you give MA more monetary support when you don't have to?[thinking]

So, does that mean that my state trainer certification is gone for good, or gone only until I get a MA permit?

The letter from the MSP stated that pesons with certification could not offer courses when they do not have a valid LTC - it did not mention revocation of the cert.

NFGA has the 600 yd range, and the 100 yd and plinker pistol range, and the inside Pistol range. Only downside is that the outside ranges are shut down when ground is hard frozen due to fear of ricochets to nearby neighborhoods...

Why not? I carry at work all the time. I doubt they would be happy about it, but there isn't anything in the employee handbook about it. I also don't see any reason I'd get frisked at work. Concealed means just that.

Hmm, in this economy, I think that I will take steps to keep my job. I have a family to feed.

I'm thinking about this too. I have family in Mass an I go down 5-6 times a year and I have friends that shoot at the Westford club. I'm not in Mass a lot but when I go I'd really like the option to exercise my second amendment rights. Whats wrong with this picture? I'd like to hear from people who live in NH and went through the process.

I'd like to hear from people who live in NH and went through the process.

I went through it last year. Took a long time to process, but fairly painless if you have all your ducks in a row. You need an approved safety certificate, two passport sized photos and a copy of your NH resident pistol permit. You fill out the application you have to get a fingerprint card done. MA will send you the app. and fingerprint card. I just went to the PD in my town and they did the fingerprints. You need a money order for $100 (they won't take a personal check). Then just put it all in a envelope mail it and wait, and wait. Took about 3 months to get it, but I did have a slight hold up. I had an unpaid excise tax from 1992 (last year I lived in MA) that needed to be paid before they would issue it.

Hmm, in this economy, I think that I will take steps to keep my job. I have a family to feed.

Is it company policy? Is it in writing somewhere? If not I don't see any reason to not continue on with my lawful business. I also have a family to feed, and highly doubt I would be fired even if they knew. Like I said concealed means concealed. I would have a HUGE issue if my employer wanted to frisk me. I have yet to have anyone notice that I'm carrying.

But it's your job so it's your call, and also your decision to go there defenseless. I on the other hand have been responsible for firing people. You NEVER know how someone will react to that. I also know of at least one woman in my office just beginning to go through a bitter divorce. Once again you can never underestimate what someone distraught will do. An old friend of mine was killed a year and a half ago by her ex-husband.

My choice is to hang on to my protection. I don't fault you for not though.

Last edited:
NFGA has the 600 yd range, and the 100 yd and plinker pistol range, and the inside Pistol range. Only downside is that the outside ranges are shut down when ground is hard frozen due to fear of ricochets to nearby neighborhoods...

Pelham has action pits that are available for member use, Nashua does not.
Pelham holds regularly scheduled Action Pistol matches, Nashua does not.
Pelham has dedicated skeet/trap fields. At Nashua, the trap field is at the top of a hill/mountain and requires shutting down the rifle ranges because they shoot toward the target positions.
Unless you concentrate on High Power Rifle, Pelham is a better choice.

Pelham has action pits that are available for member use, Nashua does not.
Pelham holds regularly scheduled Action Pistol matches, Nashua does not.
Pelham has dedicated skeet/trap fields. At Nashua, the trap field is at the top of a hill/mountain and requires shutting down the rifle ranges because they shoot toward the target positions.
Unless you concentrate on High Power Rifle, Pelham is a better choice.

Tell me more about Pelham. It sounds like my kind of place.

Whats the renewal process like? $100 every year?

I went through it last year. Took a long time to process, but fairly painless if you have all your ducks in a row. You need an approved safety certificate, two passport sized photos and a copy of your NH resident pistol permit. You fill out the application you have to get a fingerprint card done. MA will send you the app. and fingerprint card. I just went to the PD in my town and they did the fingerprints. You need a money order for $100 (they won't take a personal check). Then just put it all in a envelope mail it and wait, and wait. Took about 3 months to get it, but I did have a slight hold up. I had an unpaid excise tax from 1992 (last year I lived in MA) that needed to be paid before they would issue it.

Whats the renewal process like? $100 every year?

I'll let you know soon. I just got the renewal packet this past week. Yes it's another $100 you need to have the PD do a fingerprint on the license, another copy of your NH pistol permit. I didn't read through all of it yet, but looks like another 2 passport sized photos.

Yes it's a pain and expensive process to go through once a year, but I work in MA and spend a lot of time there. If I was only in MA a few times a year I wouldn't bother.

I did my MA Non-res. renewal application last month. Pain in the Arse.

Well, the way I see it is, $100.00/year, is a small price compared the value of your life, or the loved ones with you.

I only go to MA for work and can't carry there anyway. Should I even bother with this $100/year BS?

I'm not sure in this case you would have to if the issue is you wish to shoot as a member at HSC, but others may know better and or ask GOAL. If you are transporting from your home state where you have an LTC directly to the HSC club, which is private property, and gun is in locked case unloaded, etc, during transporting from A to B, do you require a MA non res? I didn't think so. Anyone?

I'm not sure in this case you would have to if the issue is you wish to shoot as a member at HSC, but others may know better and or ask GOAL. If you are transporting from your home state where you have an LTC directly to the HSC club, which is private property, and gun is in locked case unloaded, etc, during transporting from A to B, do you require a MA non res? I didn't think so. Anyone?

You need an MA non res to bring guns into MA unless you are covered under a few EXTREMELY narrow hunting and formal competition exemptions, or unless you have LE creds.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom