• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting guns from MA police custody to a friend in CT

EzGoingKev

NES Member
I have a friend that lives in CT that has a CT LTC. He has a brother that lives in MA. His brother had a MA LTC but got into some non-gun related trouble. His license was revoked and he had to turn his guns over to the local PD. The guns are (2) pistols and (1) shotgun.

I am a MA resident and have a LTC. He asked me if I could go to the local PD with his brother to take possession of the guns and take them to a MA FFL. He will have the MA FFL transfer them to an FFL in CT that will transfer the guns to him.

How much of a PIA is this? Is this the best way to do this?

Depends if the department still has them.

Many times they go to a "bonded warehouse" that will be left un-named for this discussion, where the storage fees soon are more than the value of the guns

I have a friend that lives in CT that has a CT LTC. He has a brother that lives in MA. His brother had a MA LTC but got into some non-gun related trouble. His license was revoked and he had to turn his guns over to the local PD. The guns are (2) pistols and (1) shotgun.

I am a MA resident and have a LTC. He asked me if I could go to the local PD with his brother to take possession of the guns and take them to a MA FFL. He will have the MA FFL transfer them to an FFL in CT that will transfer the guns to him.

How much of a PIA is this? Is this the best way to do this?

That's the correct way to do this, because of the interstate transfer of the pistols; FFL to FFL; then FFL to enduser in CT with auth through SLFU (CT state licensing and firearms unit). The only possible problem I can see is if any of the firearms are on CT's list of prohibited weapons, (unlikely based on what you've said so far), or if the magazines for the pistols can hold more than 10 rounds. If the mags do hold more than 10 rounds, just don't ship them - (the FFL will probably refuse to handle them anyway).

Sounds like you've outlined the process pretty well, assuming the PD still has them. Move quickly, bring a lawyer with you (intimidation factor).

Depends if the department still has them.
Always
Many times they go to a "bonded warehouse" that will be left un-named for this discussion, where the storage fees soon are more than the value of the guns
I once was able to "rescue" 15 guns from a BW for a friend. He paid the storage charges and they transferred them to me. Gun #16 fell thru a crack somewhere along the line. Always wonder where that one ended up. Nice .357 Ruger. Jack.

I once was able to "rescue" 15 guns from a BW for a friend. He paid the storage charges and they transferred them to me. Gun #16 fell thru a crack somewhere along the line. Always wonder where that one ended up. Nice .357 Ruger. Jack.

20 years from now it will be used in a crime, recovered and your friend will be charged. The bonded warehouse won't even be mentioned.

As an FFL I have picked up guns from local PDs and from Bonded Warehouses on behalf of people. Some have been returned to the owner (issue causing seizure resolved), some have been transferred to a 3rd party. In all cases since I was an FFL, everything went smoothly and no one pushed back on my taking possession. When the guns where still in the hands of the PD, they just handed them over and had me sign some paperwork. When they were at a BW, the owner had to first pay (I was not involved in the payment) at which point they handed them over with a lot of paperwork (exchange FFLs, acknowledge I was taking possession, etc)

In your position I would
  • find out of the guns are still in the possession of the PD or if they have been transferred to a BW
  • Get an FFL to pickup from whoever has them. It will go a lot smoother than any path trying to go to a private citizen.
  • Have the FFL transfer to the FFL in CT
This will cost money because you are using the services of an FFL, but will likely be quicker and easier than trying to convince whoever has the guns to release them to you.

I did this with a MA resident and his local PD. Guns were removed from his father's house for "safe keeping" after a break in (father was in nursing home). Have his brother establish contact with whoever handles the evidence room for the PD (assuming the guns are still at the PD). We showed up, I showed the officer my LTC (no FFL at the time), we loaded the guns and left.

20 years from now it will be used in a crime, recovered and your friend will be charged. The bonded warehouse won't even be mentioned.
I don't think so. The PD took his guns due to a RO. They left behind a signed receipt for everything, including the Ruger. The BW claimed that the PD did not give it to them. Years later ATF sent me a trace request on the Ruger. I had originally sold that gun to said friend and gave the info to ATF. They never contacted said friend. For various reasons none of the guns ever went back to him. Of all the guns involved, the Ruger would be the one that I'd pick out of the crack if I had a choice. Jack.

I don't think so. The PD took his guns due to a RO. They left behind a signed receipt for everything, including the Ruger. The BW claimed that the PD did not give it to them. Years later ATF sent me a trace request on the Ruger. I had originally sold that gun to said friend and gave the info to ATF. They never contacted said friend. For various reasons none of the guns ever went back to him. Of all the guns involved, the Ruger would be the one that I'd pick out of the crack if I had a choice. Jack.

I wasn't being entirely serious; the whole concept of bonded warehouse and firearm disappearing just stinks.

Wouldn't the correct thing to do would be to report the gun that "fell thru the crack" as stolen, to the state po po ?
Not my problem. I have copies of all the documents that show that the Ruger went to the PD and evidence that it was not transferred from the BW to me. I asked ATF why the trace? Got the "standard"answer that they would not tell me anything because "it would compromise an ongoing investigation". The crack must have opened up at the PD or the BW. I asked the friend if I should take this up with the PD. He said no because his LTC had expired before this happened and the PD went easy on him. He did not want to re-open the can of worms for one gun. Don't blame him. This was many years ago and ATF may have dealt with this. Strange that they never contacted said friend. I think that he still walks around with the PD receipt in his pocket. I would. Jack.

You know where it wound up. One of the custodians between the time they were seized and the time you collected them liked it better than they liked their integrity.

You know where it wound up. One of the custodians between the time they were seized and the time you collected them liked it better than they liked their integrity.
Possibly. We know that funny things can happen with guns that go into a PD evidence locker. But why the trace years later? Maybe a "throw down"? Anyway, my friend and I are not where the buck stops. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom