Glock 19/17 Gen 3/4

ntomsw

Banned
I am in the market for another 9mm. I have an SR9c now, and looking for something a little bigger. Was wondering if anyone here has these models I listed, and which Gen is better. I know the Gen 4's have problems I guess you could say, so I was wondering which would you go for if you could buy right now. I am leaning towards the Gen 3 if I can find one. I will not pay the MA premium, I am no idiot. I know what the guns go for. I will not pay $700 for a $500 or less gun. Was just looking for some info on these models.

Glock 19- Gen 3 & 4
Glock 17- Gen 3 & 4

I had a brand new Glock 21 Gen 4 that I wish I did not sell, but the constant brass off the forehead pissed me off enough to sell it. I like guns to just work out of the box without having to dink around with them. Otherwise for my 1st Glock I thought it was really nice. Any help I appreciate it!

If they still make brand new Gen 3's would be helpful as well. Looked around a bit, but didn't find too much on it. Or can you only find used?

Last edited:
There is a G17 in the classifieds right now for $625. Not a bad deal.
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2255304

Considering it comes with possibly 3 preban mags ($45 each) I would jump on it if I were looking for one.

Yes. They still make Gen3.

Last edited:
I had issues with my gen 4 with the brass too, sold it and picked up a gen 3 and its worked flawlessly with my pre-ban 33rd's love it and will never sell it.

Deciding between the 2 is mostly about how it fits in your hand. For me the 19's backstrap hit me in an uncomfortable place on my palm. But the 17's since being longer was further down off my palm. So i went with it. Coincidentally i have a 26 and it made perfect sense to go with a fullsize and sub compact since all 3 are just as accurate. Im as accurate with the 26 as my 17.

You couldnt pay me to take a gen 4 .

Well, I could buy brand new for $500. I do not need one today. I saw that one earlier, thank you though.

Last edited:
I had issues with my gen 4 with the brass too, sold it and picked up a gen 3 and its worked flawlessly with my pre-ban 33rd's love it and will never sell it.

Deciding between the 2 is mostly about how it fits in your hand. For me the 19's backstrap hit me in an uncomfortable place on my palm. But the 17's since being longer was further down off my palm. So i went with it. Coincidentally i have a 26 and it made perfect sense to go with a fullsize and sub compact since all 3 are just as accurate. Im as accurate with the 26 as my 17.

You couldnt pay me to take a gen 4 .

Ok, thanks. From what I have read on the .net, it seems to be a lot of people say the Gen 3's we're the best ones made. They also say though, that the backstraps are a bit bigger. It is like having the medium sized backstrap on a Gen 4. Is that accurate? I guess I would have to try them out somewhere and see what happens. I wish I could find a brand new one. The prices on GunBroker are right around $500 or under for new ones.

Plus with a smaller 9mm now, I think I am leaning towards a 17.

Last edited:
well if you can get new ones for $500, buy a few and sell them here for $600 then.

I would gladly pay 600 for a new glock on here, instead of dealing with certain avenues to obtain one new myself.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread. I know the compliance laws. All I wanted to know was what people thought of Gen3 Glocks compared to 4th Gen, and Queen was the only one nice enough to give me her opinion. Everyone else is talking about FFL's and compliance threads. I am well aware of what I am able to do. Like I said, I WILL NEVER PAY MA PREMIUM FOR A GUN THAT YOU CAN BUY BRAND NEW FOR $500. This is not a compliance thread of what you can and can't buy in MA. Almost ANY HANDGUN is MA compliant. I know that when I bought a brand new G21 Gen4. Thank you. [rolleyes]

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread. I know the compliance laws. All I wanted to know was what people thought of Gen3 Glocks compared to 4th Gen, and Queen was the only one nice enough to give me her opinion. Everyone else is talking about FFL's and compliance threads. I am well aware of what I am able to do. Like I said, I WILL NEVER PAY MA PREMIUM FOR A GUN THAT YOU CAN BUY BRAND NEW FOR $500. This is not a compliance thread of what you can and can't buy in MA. Almost ANY HANDGUN is MA compliant. I know that when I bought a brand new G21 Gen4. Thank you. [rolleyes]

For what its worth, I had a Gen 3 glock 22 and 23, and loved both of them, they ran great, I just couldnt pass up Receiving the mass premium back to me. Wish I didnt though as they were perfect for me.

Yeah I held a few Gen 3's at a Stateline in Mason, NH last night just to see how they were compared to the Gen4's. They are pretty close. The backstrap on the Gen3's didn't bother me. They are obviously nice guns, just want to make sure if I buy brand new it doesn't eject brass off my face all day. But all reviews I have read say those never had the issue, only Gen 4. I would like a Gen4, but I will never buy another one of those until they fix the issues.

Yeah I held a few Gen 3's at a Stateline in Mason, NH last night just to see how they were compared to the Gen4's. They are pretty close. The backstrap on the Gen3's didn't bother me. They are obviously nice guns, just want to make sure if I buy brand new it doesn't eject brass off my face all day. But all reviews I have read say those never had the issue, only Gen 4. I would like a Gen4, but I will never buy another one of those until they fix the issues.

My Gen 3's were great. I havent held a gen 4 yet. for the same reasons you said.

Ok cool, I appreciate you actually talking about what the thread was about in the 1st place.

Pretty much that happens in 95% of the threads here. Speaking of Brass, My m&p 40 pops a few rounds into my top coat pocket every now and then, so thats fun. My glocks I could almost set up a bucket to my right shoulder about 3 feet away and catch the spent brass.

Pretty much that happens in 95% of the threads here. Speaking of Brass, My m&p 40 pops a few rounds into my top coat pocket every now and then, so thats fun. My glocks I could almost set up a bucket to my right shoulder about 3 feet away and catch the spent brass.

Yeah I loved that Gen4 G21, but I had to sell it because it pissed me off so much. I want a gun to just work out of the box 100% with not having to send it back 5 times for service. I think the Gen3 is what I will go with. Retail they are $500-$525. I am just glad they are still making them new. [smile]

Yeah I loved that Gen4 G21, but I had to sell it because it pissed me off so much. I want a gun to just work out of the box 100% with not having to send it back 5 times for service. I think the Gen3 is what I will go with. Retail they are $500-$525. I am just glad they are still making them new. [smile]

From the sounds of things, I think they will still be making them new for a while especially with the gen 4 brass issues I keep hearing about.

I did hear that as well. The guy I talked to last night, said they will make them for next couple of years anyway, because a lot of people are unhappy with the Gen4's.

I had an SR9c - loved it. Great gun. Now my primary is a Gen4 G19 and I have had ZERO issues with it. No brass in the face, no malfunctions. It's been flawless, and I love the slimmer grip.

I had an SR9c - loved it. Great gun. Now my primary is a Gen4 G19 and I have had ZERO issues with it. No brass in the face, no malfunctions. It's been flawless, and I love the slimmer grip.

When did you purchase that? New or used? Because a lot of people are still having issues with the ejector/extractor and some other things. Thanks

I'm by no means a Glock expert, but I'll say that I personally like the Gen 4 grip quite a bit better than the Gen 3. Plus, there are some aftermarket grip additions out for the Gen 4 that might make it more comfortable. I shot Drgrant's Gen 4 17 and I also found the trigger to be pretty nice (I think it's stock but he can weigh in).

So, I'd personally go with a Gen 4.

I'm by no means a Glock expert, but I'll say that I personally like the Gen 4 grip quite a bit better than the Gen 3. Plus, there are some aftermarket grip additions out for the Gen 4 that might make it more comfortable. I shot Drgrant's Gen 4 17 and I also found the trigger to be pretty nice (I think it's stock but he can weigh in).

So, I'd personally go with a Gen 4.

The gen4 I had did have a very nice stock trigger as well. To me, I didn't really notice a huge differences in grip between the gen 3's and 4's, and I don't have really big hands or anything. Do you know if he has had any issues with it at all since buying it? Or did you guys have any issues that day shooting it?

The gen4 I had did have a very nice stock trigger as well. To me, I didn't really notice a huge differences in grip between the gen 3's and 4's, and I don't have really big hands or anything. Do you know if he has had any issues with it at all since buying it? Or did you guys have any issues that day shooting it?

I think his G17 has functioned well. It did on that day though I didn't put a lot through it.

If I got a Gen 3, I'd probably pay to have the grip stippled where the Gen 4 doesn't need that.

Crap. Now I think I need to buy a Glock.

I think his G17 has functioned well. It did on that day though I didn't put a lot through it.

If I got a Gen 3, I'd probably pay to have the grip stippled where the Gen 4 doesn't need that.

Crap. Now I think I need to buy a Glock.

Ha, I have thought that since I got rid of that G21.

I did notice that the grip on the Gen3 was more slick or slippery than the 4. That was 1 thing I liked about the Gen4 grips. these are the problems I have with decisions. the more people that chime in and say they have had no issues with their Gen4's it gets me thinking. [laugh]

When did you purchase that? New or used? Because a lot of people are still having issues with the ejector/extractor and some other things. Thanks

I got it new last year toward the end of September. Based on the serial number I was able to take part in the factory RSA exchange program, but I never had any problems with the original spring (04). Just for the heck of it I got the replacement from Glock (04-3), but I preferred the feel & brass ejection with the original.

Obviously I'm glad I haven't experienced the problems that some others have, but I prefer the Gen4 grip profile so much I'd do whatever I could to make the gun work.

If you really want a gen4, and see one in the shelf you can buy. Field strip it. Look at the face of the plate on the guide rod. If the numbers go 0-3-4 in a clockwise manner, it has the updated guide rod, and you most likely won't have the problem. Another fix, I plan on doing with my G19, is to get the conversion bushing, allowing you to use a standard Gen3 guide rod in the Gen4. My next parts order, I will be getting one of those!
Good luck, and be sure to post pics of whatever you get in the gun gallery.

What about the issues with the lighter ammo? I only shoot 115 grain ammo, as I do not reload. So, is there still an issue at all with the lighter ammo in those Glock 17's and 19 Gen4's? Or will that updated RSA fix all that supposedly?

From my experience. I just picked up a gen4 19, a couple weeks ago. Never fired. Started shooting 100rd cheap value packs. Started off a little rough, brass everywhere, couple FTE/stove pipes. As a little time went on, started to smooth out. I am chalking it up to needing a break in period. After 100 rounds brass was more steadily popping out to the right, with the occasional shells coming straight back. If I had more ammo at the time, I would have kept it running. I'm pretty confident, that as it loosens up, it should be fine. Sometimes a couple hundred round break in period is all you need.
It was actually shooting about 2" left at the start, but that also started to even out.
I just installed a titanium lightning strike, striker, and plunger. Haven't shot it yet since, have some family issues going on right now, but next range trip I will go through another 200 or so rounds.

I will most likely be hitting the range one night this week if you wanna give it a whirl, your welcome to join in. I also have a couple gen3's to compare it to. You can play with the back straps on the gen4 to see how it fits you.

Back
Top Bottom