Glock 19/17 Gen 3/4

Mine is one of the "early" ones. I've had mine for the better part of a year now. I am reasonably confident that if you get a newer 17/19/34 you probably won't have any issues.

-Mike

Ok, thanks for the info. It is a tough decision which one to go with. Just would hate to go the Gen4 route and then I end up with issues. I held a couple Gen 3's again today, and the gun, mag release etc all feel good to me. I have a little thinking to do. haha

I guess I just take issue with the term "overstated". When a company like Glock or HK makes even 5% dud rate, it ends up being noticed. I'm not bashing the Gen4 for what it's worth, but there is no getting around the fact that Glock has released a lot of ****ed up guns into the channel. At least so far they've made good (like I said, they made my G17 perfect... no erratic ejection at all, with any kind of ammo, even garbagey weak stuff) although I'll see what happens with the G21 Gen4.... if it doesn't straighten itself out, I'm probably going to persue an aftermarket solution before I consider sending it back again.

-Mike

Point taken, it is admittedly a bad word to use and not really what I meant.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Regarding the mag release? This might sound absurd, but I actually find it easier to to release the mag with my index finger while shooting lefty opposed to the thumb while shooting right! This is mostly an issue on the sub compact Glocks with the standard flush fitting mags. Seems like when I shoot right I need to raise the muzzle to hit the mag release. For the record I'm a lefty, but try to shoot off-hand as much as possible and only have been hit once in the forehead!

Not absurd at all. I am LH and actually prefer this as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have had my 19 Gen4 for about a month now. It has the 0-4-3 spring and the new ejector. I have fired 500 rounds through it with out one issue. I have put WWB, Fed Champion, Tula, UMC, and Winchester Ranger in it and it ran it all. I love my Gen 4

I've got the gen 4 27. Wasn't afraid to buy cause its no different spring design. Thing runs great. I'm waiting a bit on the others but I think they have them figured out at least in 9 and 40 anyway but like any new design I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
Exactly, the issues with the Gen 4 Glocks are way overstated imo.

Glock had to issue a recall of the recoil springs - it was a pretty deal and affected a lot of people. There are other issues with the gen4 design and widespread reports of extractor issues as well (of course late gen3 have issues too with the infamous "dip" extractors).

When I bought a Glock 19 Gen4, it functioned, but had this nasty habit of throwing the brass directly into my face (and everyone else who shot it). And I don't mean once in a while, or if you limp-wristed it. Every time. I've owned tons of Glocks, so it definitely was the pistol, not the shooter(s). So I got a new extractor for short money online, and after I put it in, the pistol was fine. Sometimes even Glocks have quirks, but usually they are easy to remedy, whether a new rod is needed, or a different angled extractor.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1139642

Interesting topic I read this morning, that say all of the NIB Gen 3's could be having same problems as the Gen 4's, if at all. I know it is an older thread from 2011, so maybe most issues have been fixed now. Just found it interesting. Especially since I still haven't made up my mind yet on the Gen3 17, or a Gen4 17.

Hearing so many people though still having issues with them, makes me think twice. It's hit or miss, with these. Maybe I will find a different brand. [rolleyes]

What I wouldn't mind is an XDm 9mm, but they don't come with 10 rounders. Unlike the 45, which mags fit XD/Xdm.

Last edited:
Gen3 17. 3lb trigger, stainless guide rod, 20lb spring, recoil buffer. I could shoot rocks out of it and it will never jam, stove, fart, poop, etc. Best damn range gun!

Well, I ended up getting the G17 Gen4. It has the newest 0-2-4 RSA and the 30274 ejector which from what I read online is the newest one that Glock makes, and that people with those ejectors, their problems have gone away. I will post up pics in the Acquisitions Thread as soon as I get it. I also bought a case of 124grain 9mm FMJ ammo to go along with it, so that way I can try a little heavier ammo to see if that helps as well. Of course I still have like 3k rounds of 115 grain that I will try as well. Thanks for all the help and info everyone.

Oh, and the spent casing says 03/05/2012. [smile]

Last edited:
I heard the feb 2012 and beyond are all coming in a shiny grey finish compared to the matte grey. Its all over glock talk about how glock has now gone back to gen 3 slick finish. Did yours come with that?

I coincidentally just bought a Brand New older stock L serial prefix glock 19 gen 3 to finish my collection of 9mm glocks.

I heard the feb 2012 and beyond are all coming in a shiny grey finish compared to the matte grey. Its all over glock talk about how glock has now gone back to gen 3 slick finish. Did yours come with that?

They are all over the map with regards to finish. I have one dull finish one and two shiny gen 4s, one early G17 and one pretty recent G21. Doesn't really matter to me, although the shiny one looks nicer, but it's a Glock, so they're all ugly as sin anyways.

BTW not all the Gen3s had/have a slick/shiny finish, either. A G26 I had not that long ago had the dull finish on it as well, and the G34 I bought recently has the dull finish.

-Mike

I coincidentally just bought a Brand New older stock L serial prefix glock 19 gen 3 to finish my collection of 9mm glocks.

I actually probably wouldn't have known if you didn't ask. [laugh] When I pick it up on Tuesday I will look and let you know.

Yes. I think I MIGHT be able to join a club near to my house. Just waiting on final confirmation from a Officer there.

The closer to home the better.

I'm an HSC member, and I love the club, but it's a solid 40 minute drive and I don't get out there as often as I'd like.

Yes. I think I MIGHT be able to join a club near to my house. Just waiting on final confirmation from a Officer there.

I still owe you a visit to HSC. Hopefully next weekend works, though my free time has been taking a real beating lately.

The closer to home the better.

I'm an HSC member, and I love the club, but it's a solid 40 minute drive and I don't get out there as often as I'd like.

Yeah, I have heard awesome things about that club, but to be a member there wouldn't make sense for me, as I would probably never get there. WPRC is 3 minutes away.

I still owe you a visit to HSC. Hopefully next weekend works, though my free time has been taking a real beating lately.

I think it would work. I might need a place to try out my brand new G17. [smile] PM me whenever.

Well, I shot 120 rounds of assorted 9mm 115 & 124 grain out of my new G17 today. I had 2 or 3 hit me in the face in the 115grain batch. The 124grain we're the best ones, and ejection was erratic at times, but nothing hit me in the face. Hopefully can get out again in a week or so and shoot it again.

Sounds like a good outing, Good Deal. If you happen to get sick of the shells hitting you in the face, let me konw, I'll may be interested...[smile]
Well, I shot 120 rounds of assorted 9mm 115 & 124 grain out of my new G17 today. I had 2 or 3 hit me in the face in the 115grain batch. The 124grain we're the best ones, and ejection was erratic at times, but nothing hit me in the face. Hopefully can get out again in a week or so and shoot it again.

Got to shoot a fast 100 rounds again today out of my G17. I shot 20 rounds of Win Ranger T-Series 147grain which all ejected normal, the 30 or 40 S&B 124grain FMJ all ejected normal, and the Fed 115grain FMJ had 3 or 4 out of 30 eject backwards. So, it seems as the cheaper ammo is what makes it act up. I plan on buying some 147grain reloads from QMMO, as I really liked those, and the gun seemed to like them too.

So far so good for the most part. Only issues we're with the Fed Champion and a few with Rem UMC.

Got to shoot a fast 100 rounds again today out of my G17. I shot 20 rounds of Win Ranger T-Series 147grain which all ejected normal, the 30 or 40 S&B 124grain FMJ all ejected normal, and the Fed 115grain FMJ had 3 or 4 out of 30 eject backwards. So, it seems as the cheaper ammo is what makes it act up. I plan on buying some 147grain reloads from QMMO, as I really liked those, and the gun seemed to like them too.

So far so good for the most part. Only issues we're with the Fed Champion and a few with Rem UMC.

UMC 9mm used to be garbage, I have no idea what the current runs of it are like because I haven't used it in so long, but it used to be piss weak. Not sure what the velocity was as I never chronoed it, but it seemed to be lower in recoil.

Federal and WWB 115 should be fine, though. I can use either in my Gen4 and they work fine, ejection is a tad erratic but it never gets anywhere close to beaning me like it did before. I haven't tried intentionally limp wristing it, though.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom