• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 21 or 1911 - which one should I buy?

I have a toaster oven I use for kydex projects. 🤔
7612519c-edc4-480e-a9db-427f96a73281_1.930ec4ca8832b5a8b01251a156a7e4b7.jpeg

Are we supposed to hate .45 now like we hate .40? Or is it just now generational thing like if your Millenial you have to shoot a 9mm, If you Gen X .40 is your caliber, and Boomer is .45?

I can't keep up with the hate anymore.
I wasn’t thinking that, but I absolutely love the idea!

I need your help here. I hear the 1911 can shoot down Japanese Zeroes and won 2 world wars, but I also hear Glock is perfection.

Another issue is I am afraid the Glock is a skinflint gun, I dont want people to think I am one of the poors. But Glocks seem to have great ergonomics and there is enough Glock bling in the aftermarket that I could turn it into a non-skinflint gun.

Help me decide which one I should buy.

Ps: 40 is still g@y so don't tell me to get one of those.

Glock 31 - .357Sig.

I need your help here. I hear the 1911 can shoot down Japanese Zeroes and won 2 world wars, but I also hear Glock is perfection.

Another issue is I am afraid the Glock is a skinflint gun, I dont want people to think I am one of the poors. But Glocks seem to have great ergonomics and there is enough Glock bling in the aftermarket that I could turn it into a non-skinflint gun.

Help me decide which one I should buy.

Ps: 40 is still g@y so don't tell me to get one of those.
Glock will win WWIII...

Another issue is I am afraid the Glock is a skinflint gun, I dont want people to think I am one of the poors.
24 carat Gold Plated and you'll stand out in a crowd. Men will want to be with you, Women will want to be you...

1657486710334.png
Here's one for girls in 9mm...
1657486660367.png

I paid less than $400 for the G21 off of Gunbroker last week. Total with shipping, tax and FFL it came out to $508 for a Gen4 with night sights, 3 mags, the backstraps and reloading tool and case. Gun is barely broken in, almost new. Can't beat the price and it's SHTF pistol especially with Baldr S under the barrel.

I paid less than $400 for the G21 off of Gunbroker last week. Total with shipping, tax and FFL it came out to $508 for a Gen4 with night sights, 3 mags, the backstraps and reloading tool and case. Gun is barely broken in, almost new. Can't beat the price and it's SHTF pistol especially with Baldr S under the barrel.
giphy (2).gif

I don't care for the way Glocks feel in my hand as they feel rather blocky.
I have several 1911s most in 9mm but 2 a S&W and Ruger SR 1911 in 45 acp and an SR 1911 in 10mm/1Cm. I can shoot all but the 10mm reasonably well. As far as polymer framed pistols I have a Canik that fits my hand much better .

I bought the GI model with the sole purpose of practicing my gunsmith skills on it. I left it stock, still one of my favorite 1911s. Never fails.
I scored my beat-up GI for $250. Ran great for a few years so I decided to practice my gunsmithing skills too, like you, so I did just a few upgrades... Here I am almost a grand later with zero regrets.

Screenshot_20220710-181414.png

@Broccoli Iglesias after you buy the glock, you know you will, don't forget to throw a RMR on it.

If you get serious about this, check out my G34 at Area 7. I had the slide milled by C&H in Richmond Hill, GA and mounted an SRO directly to it. Very happy with it. In fact, so happy that I had them do the same thing to my G41 and my G31.

34 and 41 have SROs;
31 has an RMR - it's a secondary carry gun.

I personally never shot Glicks well, 1911 I’m punching holes where I want them. Sure it probably weighs a pound more there are some more fiddley bits but I don’t care.
Are we supposed to hate .45 now like we hate .40? Or is it just now generational thing like if your Millenial you have to shoot a 9mm, If you Gen X .40 is your caliber, and Boomer is .45?

I can't keep up with the hate anymore.

Anecdotal maybe … but … I’m gen X and I sold my Glock .40 to a millennial on this forum.

The Glock is objectively a better pistol. Glocks are not for everyone. I found the trigger annoying, and the aesthetics are just plain gross. I do acknowledge it's the better-designed firearm, but I don't buy things that don't make me feel happy. And Glocks don't.

I've owned about six 1911s and just one Glock 21, which I sold. So I'm biased.

I think it comes down to which one you'll shoot better, most likely, in terms of grip angle and trigger. Carry might also be a factor: the thinness of the 1911 vs the G21 is a definite consideration in that regard.
In a roundabout way I don't think the Glock's aesthetics are so bad. They just look like a tool that is made to do its job. I don't buy a hammer and think it's ugly or pretty. I just need something to bang nails. A carry gun or nightstand gun that's sole job is to save your ass...who cares what it looks like. In a way, Glocks look like a perfect gun, simple, functional, no fancy bells or whistles..it is what it is and needs to be. And still prettier than a hi point so there's that.

It's like comparing a pickup truck that you need to move junk around to a ferrari. Yeah the ferarri is boner inducing, but pretty useless at moving junk around and you'd hate yourself if you scratched it up.

The solution then, obviously, is to get both. Get the 1911 for the range and to fondle, and the G21 to hammer nails.

Back
Top Bottom