Glock? Am I stupid

Len - That wasn't directed at you. It was meant in general as I see and hear a lot of people use it. I carried and used a Browning for many years cocked and locked and never had a fear of a ND. This was when the safety was set up like a 1911 and the slide was notched.

Adam_MA said:
TonyD said:
I don't, and won't, own a Smith semi.

Mind if I ask you why?
Just curious is all.

Adam

Just from experience with their earlier generations of semi's. I've heard a lot of good things about their latest production but I'm just not inclined to go back and try them again when there is much better equipment out there for my purposes. I've also never liked the way they feel and they don't have a natural point of aim for me. The Glock is very natural for me but not for other folks.

For whatever it means, my first and only carry gun, a 229, has multiple safties to protect me if i drop the gun, or other odd circumstances.

If that trigger gets pulled, its going boom.

I've never for even a minute, not even the day I first carried concealed, worried about a ND.

My brain is my safety, and have never broken any of the rules...

This isnt a "im god and wont have an ND reply" its a "I have confidence in my equipment and my training.

This very topic came up on a LEO site about 6 months ago. Heres some exerpts...
I assert that the addition of more and more mechanical safeties, "indicators", disconnects, and decockers makes a handgun less safe.

My reasoning:
1. All mechanical safeties can fail.
2. If you follow the three main NRA rules and the "golden rule" of firearms, you will never have a problem.
3. That these "safeties" tend to promote a casual attitude whereby people slowly learn to "rely" on the mechanical safety over safe gun handling.
4. There might be an argument made for a magazine disconnect for LE...but then again..might it not promote a more casual attitude towards weapon retention?
(I'll let him have my non operable primary and I'll go for my BUG)

Bottom line, keep your finger off the trigger. And use a holster. A few freak accidents will always happen. But more tires fall of cars causing deaths than shirts being stuck in glock's triggerguard do... Watch your CV joints and reholster with care :D

Okay just a little update. After about four years I finally realized what this thing does, or at least I think so. My understanding is that when the lever on the trigger is pushed down this then moves the firing pin blocker enabling the gun to be fired. I guess it helps prevent a discharge if the gun is dropped or something like that.

Seriously though, I have been thinking about this for the past four years, and just figured I would give an update. It never made any sense to me that a safety was located on a trigger.

Take your glock, unload it, and try this:

Grab it with two hands and grab either side of the trigger with your pointer fingers and try to pull back without hitting the trigger safety. You can pull all day and nothing will happen. Now try sticking a pen, key chain, kubaton etc in there and wiggling it around - I think youll find the effectiveness of the trigger safety much greater than anticipated. You have to really try to get a pin strike.

That being said carrying a chambered Glock unholstered in a pocketbook could easily be a recipe for disaster. A lightened trigger hit when fishing for keys or frantically grabbing for that ringing cell phone could make for a very bad day. And I am a Glock carrier and would never even for one second consider carrying chambered loose in my coat pocket or waistband. But not a pocketbook carrier so I don't speak from direct experience only from watching wife and daughter fishing for stuff. I suppose if you knew you were carrying you would be more attentive but I think they sell purse holsters which make it and entirely different situation.

Last edited:
The internal Glock safeties make it almost impossible for the gun to discharge if it dropped to the ground. Not the case with a lot of other guns.

This is a very good feature in my opinion.

My personal opinion is that anyone who caries a naked gun, whether it be in a pocket or purse or bag, is an accident waiting to happen. The essential functions of a holster is not only to secure the gun, but also to totally cover and protect the trigger from being activated.

Take your glock, unload it, and try this:

Grab it with two hands and grab either side of the trigger with your pointer fingers and try to pull back without hitting the trigger safety. You can pull all day and nothing will happen. Now try sticking a pen, key chain, kubaton etc in there and wiggling it around - I think youll find the effectiveness of the trigger safety much greater than anticipated. You have to really try to get a pin strike.

I agree with this.

Excellent post Steve. You must have obviously had some quality firearms safety training.

I pay attention to people who know more than me- like you. I'll never forget the night you opened a Glock and showed me the internal safeties for the first time.

I'm picking up my stripped lowers tonight and then to the range and Die Nasty. Are you going tonight?

The safeties on Glocks accomplish the following:

1. The striker doesn't drop unless you pull the trigger.

2. The trigger doesn't drop the striker unless you deliberately pull it straight back.

So, the only way to discharge the gun is to pull the trigger.

I'm not really sure why you care; carrying a small nuke isn't typically a good idea. See my avatar. [grin]

snarf

All right my hope is to someday answer this question because I have found no logical answer. I don’t know if it’s me, so like I said I might be stupid.

Why do Glocks have a safety on the trigger? My feeling is that if there is force that is strong enough to directly push the trigger safety down, then wouldn’t it push down the trigger as well, and discharge the firearm.

Please help me on my quest to find this answer.

According to Patrick Sweeney's excellent book on the Glock, Glock added the trigger safety after, while testing their original design, they discovered that if the gun were dropped so it landed on the back of the slide, the trigger would keep moving due to momentum and the gun would discharge. The trigger safety was added to prevent that, which it does.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom