Glock announces G44 in .22LR

Ok, so what you're saying is this is going to sell to Glock fans who already own everything that's GLOCK brand Glock. You just said something to the effect of "I am the target market because I have young kids." Do young kids wear holsters for Glocks? Do young kids or parents thereof have massive collections of Glock stuff? Not usually.

Lol I know probably a half dozen people who own 2 or more glocks and have young kids in their family, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my
head. Holsters? Because if it's not shit people will make holsters for it (because demand) and they'll be cheap and readily available, and there might already be
existing Glock holsters cross compatible with the gun.

ETA: The other cool thing about this is if it's not crap, it's likely going to inspire S&W or Sig to do the same thing... either reinvent existing 22s or roll new
ones to compete on branding alone.

-Mike

Lol I know probably a half dozen people who own 2 or more glocks and have young kids in their family, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my
head. Holsters? Because if it's not shit people will make holsters for it (because demand) and they'll be cheap and readily available, and there might already be
existing Glock holsters cross compatible with the gun.

-Mike

I agree that this is going to sell a lot to newbs and people who are already invested in Glocks. My point is this pistol isn't that impressive in comparison to the hype. Its a single stack 10-round .22 Glock with no optic-milled slide, no threaded barrel, and a relatively short barrel for a .22 pistol.

I'm pretty sure @edmorseiii said that he'd buy the shit out of a .22 Glock a few pages back, so he's not the typical buyer. Or maybe he's exactly the typical buyer, sans newbs. He went into this wanting a .22 Glock.

This is a .22 Glock. Nothing more, nothing less. That's it.

Ok, so what you're saying is this is going to sell to Glock fans who already own everything that's GLOCK brand Glock. You just said something to the effect of "I am the target market because I have young kids." Do young kids wear holsters for Glocks? Do young kids or parents thereof have massive collections of Glock stuff? Not usually.

Yes. My wife and I carry double stack 9mm Glocks, we can both use any of the holsters we have in the house, there are G17 mags in both cars, nightstands, etc. When my kids are old enough to start shooting they will absolutely be working from holsters, kind of stupid to skip that part if you ask me.

The tough guy bravado here is gayer then Glock releasing a .22 pistol.

I am exactly who this pistol is targeted at, the father with young kids who can't wait to teach them how to shoot in his back yard. I want it with a threaded barrel, but after watching that gay circle jerk release video, I'm in for one either way.
Has zero to do with tough guy bravado as far as I'm concerned. I'm laughing at the fact that they said it is legendary. It's not legendary. It's a 22lr semi auto.....with zero features. Ruger Smith Browning all have 22 auto loaders that are better than this.

Anyone that wanted a 22 auto has been able to buy a decent one for 30 plus years.

I just watched one of the first YouTube reviews.....done at the plant. They go in and on about how it's controllable and has no recoil. No shit. It's a 22 auto.

It's the hype Glock made that is laughable.....but the true Glock lovers will be all over this thing I guess......but to mostnl everyone else.....it's a Glock....in 22.....with zero aftermarket support and no features.

Last edited:
Glock needs to develop fool-proof ignition, higher pressure, defensive-grade .22lr ammo for their gun.
Maybe there would be a carry market for those who can't even rack a standard Glock slide.

They make Baby Glocks, how about Granny Glocks...?
That ammo is called 5.7, and not too popular. Rim fire primer, not for carry,

Everyone makes a .22lr with a10-round magazine. They could’ve come up with something higher capacity, at the very least.

Once you start stacking rounds though awkwardly (in a cartridge ill suited for it) it tends to invite problems. Why do you think Ruger BX mags and Butler Creek 25s and such are stacked in a straight line with a curve? Because the feeding is more reliable under duress, particularly given the wonky physics of varying .22 LR loads. Otherwise they would have just come up with a doublestack design and saved a lot space and BS. Same with .22 LR AR mags. Plus a single stack design for this shitty cartridge is probably a lot less dirt sensitive, too, which is important for 22 LR because 99% of the ammo on the market for it consists of some kind of dirt with priming compound behind it, firing a bullet made out of lead that burns up and adds even more dirt....

-Mike

Has zero to do with tough guy bravado as far as I'm concerned. I'm laughing at the fact that they said it is legendary. It's not legendary. It's a 22lr semi auto.....with zero features. Ruger Smith Browning all have 22 auto loaders that are better than this.

Anyone that wanted a 22 auto has been able to buy a decent one for 30 plus years.

I just watched one of the first YouTube reviews.....done at the plant. They go in and on about how it's controllable and has no recoil. No shit. It's a 22 auto.

It's the hype Glock made that is laughable.

Everything Glock releases is met with the same response, that's it? And then they end up selling a million of them. This is clearly a targeted product, and for that type of shooter, it will sell well, regardless of the cringy press release.

Any Glock shooter who wants to train in their backyard would be into this.

No, they have lots of really nice, heavy single action guns (which are often impossible to find anything other than shit holsters for) that nobody under 50 wants to buy unless they're getting into postal matches, NRA smallbore, or small game hunting. They have very few guns that appeal to mainstream buyers and more closely resemble and operate like common polymer framed handguns that people are buying these days. Even guns like the SR22, while decent, are a half-assed attempt at trying to meet this market.

I agree the use of the term "legendary" is a bit much. For that kind of proclamation I would have expected an entire product line of stuff.. [rofl] but that's typical marketing bullshit, most of them go overboard, because at some point or another it sells shit. Look at Krapber, every gunrag has like 4 full page krapber ads in it. Every gun store outside of MA worth visiting usually has at least one display case with 1-3 or more krapbers in it. And it pays off for them because a lot of people sniffing the glue fumes will buy a krapber as a first 1911.

-Mike

Everything Glock releases is met with the same response, that's it? And then they end up selling a million of them. This is clearly a targeted product, and for that type of shooter, it will sell well, regardless of the cringy press release.

Any Glock shooter who wants to train in their backyard would be into this.
And I agree with you on the Glock shooter wanting one.

Where I diverge is your calling someone that thinks it's laughable as some type of "bravado". To a non Glock lover it's just a simple 22 pistol.....of which there are better ones already on the market.....for what they use a 22 pistol for.

Of course when I heard legendary I was thinking carbine. And as a non Glock owner I might have been interested in one......as my next purchase will prly be a PCC.

No, they have lots of really nice, heavy single action guns (which are often impossible to find anything other than shit holsters for) that nobody under 50 wants to buy unless they're getting into postal matches, NRA smallbore, or small game hunting. They have very few guns that appeal to mainstream buyers and more closely resemble and operate like common polymer framed handguns that people are buying these days. Even guns like the SR22, while decent, are a half-assed attempt at trying to meet this market.

I agree the use of the term "legendary" is a bit much. For that kind of proclamation I would have expected an entire product line of stuff.. [rofl] but that's typical marketing bullshit, most of them go overboard, because at some point or another it sells shit. Look at Krapber, every gunrag has like 4 full page krapber ads in it. Every gun store outside of MA worth visiting usually has at least one display case with 1-3 or more krapbers in it. And it pays off for them because a lot of people sniffing the glue fumes will buy a krapber as a first 1911.

-Mike
There is a pretty good market for 22 pistols for steel challenge in the rimfire category. Also plate shoots. In those types of matches this new Glock would not be in the same category as a Ruger or Smith......both of which can be purchased optic ready and threaded for suppressors.if and when Glock adds those features they will inevitably show up at those matches.

There is a pretty good market for 22 pistols for steel challenge in the rimfire category. Also plate shoots. In those types of matches this new Glock would not be in the same category as a Ruger or Smith......both of which can be purchased optic ready and threaded for suppressors.

True enough, but joe newb gun owner looking at a 22 for the first time is generally not going to a steel challenge match, sadly enough. Lots of shooters don't compete at all, and when I say "don't compete" I mean they've never tried it and are pretty unwilling to do so. I have friends where I could literally go "hey you want to try bowling pins or a simple steel match, ill have all the gear, just bring ear and eye pro" and it just doesn't happen. They think the other shooters are going to eat them or something, etc.

-Mike

Their marketing sure worked. They are a decade late. A ten round .22 version of their centerfire pistols? Legendary is the last word one other than a marketing team would use. Uninspiring. Bland. Predictable. They didn’t even include any of the features that really make .22’s like this fun!

While we're on the topic, didn't S&W have an M&P 22 pistol? Not sure what happened with that. It might have been a dog, too...

Technically, they had/have 2: one full-sized M&P22, built by Walther/Umarex (which may be out of production now), and a smaller M&P22 Compact, built by S&W, and selling like hotcakes. It's an excellent .22, either for general plinking or as a companion trainer.

True enough, but joe newb gun owner looking at a 22 for the first time is generally not going to a steel challenge match, sadly enough. Lots of shooters don't compete at all, and when I say "don't compete" I mean they've never tried it and are pretty unwilling to do so. I have friends where I could literally go "hey you want to try bowling pins or a simple steel match, ill have all the gear, just bring ear and eye pro" and it just doesn't happen. They think the other shooters are going to eat them or something, etc.

-Mike
You mentioned nobody under 50 wants what Ruger and Smith have to offer because they would be only for postal and bullseye. I'm saying that is not true. I know two clubs that run steel challenge for rimfire.......they have a wait list to enter......most shooters are 20s and 30s and most have a Ruger 22-45 with all the bells and whistles. I'm saying there is competition of which a Ruger and Smith would be used that is not "fudd" territory.....

You mentioned nobody under 50 wants what Ruger and Smith have to offer because they would be only for postal and bullseye. I'm saying that is not true. I know two clubs that run steel challenge for rimfire.......they have a wait list to enter......most shooters are 20s and 30s and most have a Ruger 22-45 with all the bells and whistles. I'm saying there is competition of which a Ruger and Smith would be used that is not "fudd" territory.....

Yes, and those guns are used frequently, but that's still like 10% of the market on a good day. Those products don't compete in the same space as something like an SR22, or this Glock thing, the gun Scott just mentioned, or other guns like that usually do. There's a big gap in the market between Johnny 1 box and a steel challenge competitor WRT .22 LR pistols.

-Mike

You mentioned nobody under 50 wants what Ruger and Smith have to offer because they would be only for postal and bullseye. I'm saying that is not true. I know two clubs that run steel challenge for rimfire.......they have a wait list to enter......most shooters are 20s and 30s and most have a Ruger 22-45 with all the bells and whistles. I'm saying there is competition of which a Ruger and Smith would be used that is not "fudd" territory.

Mike's point is that newbs are going to buy this G44 and go from it into bigger Glocks, basically the G19. So G44 --> G19. A lot of newbs never get into competitive shooting, which I agree with. Most of my friends I met who are also gun owners don't compete at all. This is in contrast to people I've met through competition, who are obviously all competing. In contrast, most newbs currently don't start with a Ruger Mark IV and then transition into say a 1911 or a Ruger semi-auto pistol, probably because Ruger's semi auto pistols aren't very well known besides their 1911 series and don't have a Glock-like reputation.

Here's a NSSF report from 2016 about shooting sport rates:

http://www.armalot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/NSSF-Sport-Shooting-Participation-Report-1.pdf

While the mean number of times someone went to the range per year was 9.85 times (less than once a month), the median number of times someone visited a range in a year was 4. Four visits to the range per year is pretty low. That's like "I shot skeet once this year and sighted my deer rifle a couple times."

Strangely, the Northeast is the second most-competitive area in the US, behind the Midwest. Probably because you have to be a club member to actually shoot around here for most people.

Technically, they had/have 2: one full-sized M&P22, built by Walther/Umarex (which may be out of production now), and a smaller M&P22 Compact, built by S&W, and selling like hotcakes. It's an excellent .22, either for general plinking or as a companion trainer.

This is good to know, I remember the original one being released and never saw it being that popular, but I didn't know if it was because it was crap or just not a lot was made..... the compact is intriguing regardless, though.

-Mike

The problem with a long-slide version of the .22LR is that the slide has to be lightened further in order to time the action properly. Not insurmountable.

So when the Glock PCC debuts at SHOT next month, will it be "heroic" or "apocalyptic"?

This is good to know, I remember the original one being released and never saw it being that popular, but I didn't know if it was because it was crap or just not a lot was made..... the compact is intriguing regardless, though.

-Mike
I have an M&P 22, not a bad plinker. 12 rd mags are available

The problem with a long-slide version of the .22LR is that the slide has to be lightened further in order to time the action properly. Not insurmountable.

So when the Glock PCC debuts at SHOT next month, will it be "heroic" or "apocalyptic"?
Mythological!!!!!

-Mike
Are you maybe thinking of the S&W Victory, meant to compete with the Ruger Mark series?

I have a 22lr suppressor I still haven't used once since I bought it 1.5 years ago and it got out of NFA jail in July. So, I'm sort of in the 22lr pistol market but I want all the "goodies" out of the box--threaded barrel, dot-ready and/or suppressor height sights.

As such, the "plain Jane" G44 (assuming at some point they release versions with more bells and whistles) isn't in contention.

Back
Top Bottom