Going Shooting For The First Time

I'm planning on going shooting for the first time tomorrow (hoping to rent at AFS), what should I bring with me?

What should I expect for my first time renting at AFS?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience with AFS but make sure to bring your own ears and eyes, I personally would not rent those, who knows who had them before you. I also have a hat while shooting you might want to as well for that flying brass.[wink]

If you're a female, do NOT wear a low-cut shirt - flying brass is very warm and can go where you don't want it.

Eye protection - something comfortable. Any gunshop will sell them. For ear protection, you may want to purchase earplugs from CVS to wear under muffs - if it's your first time, you will be happy for all the ear protection you can get; the acoustics at AFS aren't very good; the sound echoes very nicely off of the walls. [rolleyes] I recommend the orange Howard Leight plugs that are NRR rated at 33 db; I use them for shooting and for motorcycling.

Remember to wash your hands and face after shooting and before eating anything; you want to wash off lead and powder residue.

Oh yes... bring an open mind! Listen to the range safety officer if you haven't shot before; s/he'll tell you what to do.

And have fun while you're at it. [grin]

Thanks, I won't have any sort of low cut shirt issues [wink]. I think I can either scrounge up some ear plugs and I think I have outter hearing protection, but as for vision I am kind of stumped. I already wear glasses (polycarbonate lenses), but from what I've read it sounds like that isn't really enough. Is wearing a regular pair of safety glasses over them a safe temporary alternative?

Thanks.

For eye protection, you can add some plastic sideshields to your own prescription glasses.

Sideshields and prescription glasses aren't the best protection, but they should see you through your first rental session at AFS.

The range should have these available for purchase. Cost should be a couple bucks or so.

Thanks, I won't have any sort of low cut shirt issues [wink]. I think I can either scrounge up some ear plugs and I think I have outter hearing protection, but as for vision I am kind of stumped. I already wear glasses (polycarbonate lenses), but from what I've read it sounds like that isn't really enough. Is wearing a regular pair of safety glasses over them a safe temporary alternative?

Thanks.

I wear big safety glasses on top of my glasses. It works well but my regular glasses are relatively small and have a light frame. I agree regular polycarbonate is not enough protection.

as for vision I am kind of stumped. I already wear glasses (polycarbonate lenses), but from what I've read it sounds like that isn't really enough.
What you already have is more than enough, speaking from plenty of first hand experience. Wear your glasses as normal and enjoy yourself w/o worry.

There should be a 'First time Shooters' forum for people that want to go shooting.Rather than pay range/rental/ammo fees, people could offer up their expertise at thier own club and have the first time shooter as a guest without having to shell out a small fortune.

There should be a 'First time Shooters' forum for people that want to go shooting.Rather than pay range/rental/ammo fees, people could offer up their expertise at thier own club and have the first time shooter as a guest without having to shell out a small fortune.

I agree. I was jonesin for some range time while I waited for my LTC to come in. It would also be nice to try a gun before you buy it. I would do it if it was available to NES paid members only.

Edit:AFS is a good place to go to rent. They have a good selection of rentals and the staff is pretty friendly.

Thanks all for the advice.

I just got back a little over an hour ago, and it was a blast! The employee who helped me (Jeff I think) walked me through everything, and I even got some good pointers on the range too. Definately was a great first introduction to firearms, and I felt very safe the whole time through. Can't wait until next time!

Back
Top Bottom