Good Ole American Walnut - Sheridan Model C

It's not a centerfire, or even a rimfire. But hey, it's American and it looks Milsurp!

I couldn't resist this Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak Model C 5mm (.20 cal) pellet gun at a yardsale. With the design dating back to 1944, it followed the traditional military look of the times. And the American dark walnut was seriously calling out to me - even at fifty bucks.

This one is a late 1980's build, just before the Crossman takeover, so it's not vintage (pre-1971). But it is still the desirable rocker safety type, holds a full charge overnight, and cleaned up to 99% condition. With eight pumps, these develop muzzle velocities of 650-700 fps.

I didn't realize the scope of collector's following until I poked around some of the air gun forums. Lots of material to read out there. And then I was floored to see that some in this condition will bring two hundred dollars or more at auction! Vintage models can double or triple that price - we're getting into Eddystone territory...

Like the idiot that I am, I wanted to see how well it performed. I set up a soda can on a lawn chair on my back deck. I didn't have any .20 cal pellets, but I loaded a .177 cal BB, took two pumps (only two. Safe, right?) and fired out the door from my living room couch.... bad idea. The BB went clean through the can, left a 1/8" deep dent in a baluster, and ricocheted back to my feet inside the house. My Darwin Award nomination is pending.

Disclaimer: No boats or outbuildings were harmed during this imbecilic action. Scared, yes. But not hurt.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

4Pq8Mkdl.jpg

3TO2u1rl.jpg

4eLVi9ql.jpg

XusbWDCl.jpg

ObW9oyil.jpg

xBFCSEll.jpg

KDCSpvol.jpg

nbUFgecl.jpg

Oq8pwSOl.jpg

IQMIf3sl.jpg

7WlPbYDl.jpg

vaghTDdl.jpg

i5xs276l.jpg

3TO2u1rl.jpg

NICE!

That's my first gun, given to me and my brother by our granddad when I was 7 (1966). I still have it and after 50 years the seals work perfectly. Aside from cleaning and lube I've never had to do a thing to it.

How did you get 8 pumps into it???? Three is the most I put in it and it hits hard (I should chrono it some day).

How did you get 8 pumps into it???? Three is the most I put in it and it hits hard (I should chrono it some day).

Eight pumps are the absolute max, according to air gun enthusiasts, and you really have to strong arm the final three.

After seeing what it would do with just two pumps and an undersized projectile, I'm not about tempt fate with eight (even with a phone book)!

I had one of those when I was a young teenager. I remember pulling back the bolt to cock the gun. It was an upgrade from my Daisy lever action BB rifle. Next purchase was a Ruger 10/22.

Bought a Sheridan at Jordan Marsh in Framingham in 1967 for $40.

Best pellet gun ever - super accurate and very powerful.

Built like a Mercedes too.

that's a nice one....even still has the "hand guard grip" where you hold while pumping.

50$ is a great deal for one that is that nice and holds air. They are not the "easiest" to reseal though. many a good Sheridan have been ruined doing so.

Its always stuns people just how much a lead pellet will bounce back especially lower velocity.

used to use one of these when I did a lot of indoor shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
yea 4 pumps goes clean through a 1"x4" at 30 feet. so the phone book (as thin as they are now a days) may be okay at 2. I have my uncles pre 71 and I will pass it on to My son some day.

Oh I forgot to mention there's a lot of good old fashion brass on that thing also.
Barrel and most other parts are brass.

Nice old Sheridan. I have an old German RWS model that is powerful and accurate.

I wouldn't shoot steel BB's down the barrel though. I've always heard it could damage them.

Nice old Sheridan. I have an old German RWS model that is powerful and accurate.

I wouldn't shoot steel BB's down the barrel though. I've always heard it could damage them.

Sheridan model C or any of these are not BB guns they are pellet guns. They are brass barrels and steel BBs will ruin them. They used to make lead BBs . My dad made us use lead BBs as they didn't bounce back as much as steel .

Here's a brief history of the Sheridan rifles. They are well made and as long as they are not abused or molested will last a life time or 3.
http://www.airguns.net/reviews_sherdan.php

These where the original pellets shot from the Sheridan http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-...-5s-pellets-ammunition-tin-box-wcontents.html

When the C model came along by then the diabolo style pellets came along. Which is the common pellet most of us can relate to.

There's more information here if you want to look into your Sheridan.

Sadly I sold my Sheridan off 15 years ago to help fund down payment on my house. Even still back then the older Sheridan where still getting decent prices.

I'm more of a crosman 140/1400 22cal pumper fan. They where all decently made and far from the Crap you find at wal mart these days.

Last edited:
I had an old one, very accurate, could shoot a bird off a telephone pole from accross the street. Recently The barrel came loose as the silversolder holding it on gave way somehow :(. The accuracy came from the rifled barrel with conical pellets.

Nice!

I still have mine that was given to me as a kid in the 70's. My best friend had the silver streak and we ran around the hills in Ventura County plinking at everything in sight. He's a DA now so no stories [smile]. From my own perspective I will say that BBQ valley quail tastes better out of season.

I think I cranked mine up to 13 pumps once, and several times to 10. Obviously built like a tank- seals are still good today. One of the reasons I like my Garand and my C-stock '03 is that they remind me of my Sheridan LOL. When I get back from Germany I should take a family picture.

Back
Top Bottom