"Grades" of .22LR?

When I bought my Ruger MkIII Hunter last week at FSG, the salesclerk grabbed 4 or 5 different 50-round boxes of ammo, put it on my stack of stuff to purchase, and recommended they I buy them all as a way to see if my gun preferred any of them more than another.

The gun appeared to eat them all equally well (which I suppose is good), but seeing the differences in price, physical appearance/feel, and package description made me wonder what all the distinctions of .22LR are.

For example, one brand had no extra designations. Another said it was "target". Another said it was "match target", etc. As for the cartridges themselves, all had bare lead bullets, but the cartridges in one or two brands felt greasy to the touch, while the others felt "normal". And there may have been some differences in the number/width of the "neck bands" in the bullet (for lack of a better term) near where the bullet joins the case.

Is there any standard meaning to "target" or "match target" ammo, or does it mean whatever manufacturers want it to? Does the grease have any pros or cons? And as (for now) a learning recreational shooter, how much should I care?

(and that's even before getting into the lead/FMJ debate :))

I've been shooting different brands of bulk "value pack" through my
Mk III stainless bull barrel with absolutely no problems. The only issue I have ever had was with an old (25 years) box of .22 Thunderbolt that caused an occasional stovepipe. I would say that if you are not going to be entering serious competition, use the cheap stuff, shoot your gun a lot and have fun. By the time you get good enough to shoot competetively, you'll know what ammo to buy just from contact with other shooters on the range and through internet research. Remember the most important thing is to shoot safely and have fun.

Chris

"match" or "target" on the box means whatever the manufacturer wants it too. .22's are the most sensitive firearms when it comes to ammo. You do really need to try several brands to see what shoots best out of your pistol. True "match" ammo is usually lead coated with a waxy substance and is usually scary-expensive.
Wolf, who's centerfire ammo I wouldn't wish on anybody's gun, makes excellent match .22 ammo at a reasonable price.

A good quality .22 will tend to cycle most or all ammo pretty well. The real difference will come in the group sizes once you start to shoot up to the guns quality. I lot of "just plinkers" never get to this point.

Ken

Back when I was shooting competitively, the ammo of choice was something called Eley Tennex or some such. Was very expensive as I recall.

For average .22 use, any of the $10 a brick stuff works. Just have to find the one that best works in your pistol. if it all works equally, consider yourself the owner of a very nice pistol.

Seriously, as you become a better makrsman, you'll likely see one brand falling more to your point of aim than another. It likely won't be the same brand as your buddy with the same gun. Just go with it.

I have a cuppla small .22 pistols and my son has one too.

I found that bottom feeders can have problems feeding with cheap ammo. Something always seems to catch on the edge of the casing where it meets the lead, casuing FTL's.

CCI stingers have a slightly longer case and have always managed to feed where other cheaper brands won't. These work in most everything I've tried them in from Jennings to Barettas.

The Thunderbolts seem to give me stovepipes in my Marlin 39a and in my grandaughter's Henry when we use that.

I occasionally have FTF using Thunderbolts in my Dan Wesson wheel gun.

I think you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom