Grease or Oil Recommendation

v13

I found a couple threads concerning 1911 slide lube but I was specifically curious about what people are using on the rails of polymer framed pistols. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference that it's polymer vs steel but I figured I would ask. I recently acquired a Ruger p345, my first hand gun with a slide, and I'm have no idea what I should be using on the rails. I've been applying a little Rem Oil after cleaning and that seems to be working just fine but I thought there might be something better out there. The Ruger has only seen about 200-250 rounds but as I was cleaning it this weekend, I realized the rails could might benefit from some more serious lube soon.

Thanks

I've always either used WD40 on steel frames and Hoppe's gun oil on polymer (Glock and H&K).

I won't use anything with Teflon in it. I've known a few guys in the past that caused their 1911 to lock up. Apparently, Teflon expands when heated. On the other hand, I've known a lot of folks who've never had a problem.

Grease for range use oil for carry. Refresh grease every 300 rounds. Brian Enos's slide glide can allow you to go longer without refreshing your grease. The gun will function fine but if you want to keep it tight longer the use of lube can help. Especially with aluminum anodized frames and stainless steel frame/slides that are fit tightly. On a loose gun it doesn't matter.

I'm more concerned with rust than anything else.
I try any new lube that I find, mostly because they are only a few dollars for a tube.
Over the summer I had my gun box (without the gun in it) in the car in the hot sun all day.
I went to the range and looked at the magazines for my AW93 and found that all six of them had a very slight amount of rust on the area where they were held by the gun box magnet.
since the magazines cost around $130 each, I got worried.
I figured I'd do a test of all the gun lubes that I had, to see which ones will do best to slow any rust.
I saw a test on the net somewhere and tried my own version.
I took a picture of the results here.
Some of these lubes are not advertised as metal preservatives. I only added them because I had them.
Corrosion.jpg

The board was on my roof, in the rain and sun for about 6 weeks.
Eezox, CorrosionX and Boeshield T1 were all about equal. The three started rusting at the same time of around a month. All the other pieces started rusting within days.

Since I really don't know anything scientific about oils and lubes, I won't give my opinion of what I think is best.
I do know that from all the different lubes I've used on sears, I think that Neco Moly-slide is the smoothest feeling to me. I can't tell any letoff movement on any of my good guns with that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom