Greasing a M1 Carbine?

I have always used oil (actually CLP), but it occurred to me that the carbine has the same style sliding parts as its modeled after big brother.

MS

Last edited:
If you "clean" your guns after every trip you may want to hold off on the grease. Both my carbines function well just lubed with clp. Although I have applied the same grease points found on the garand to the carbine. I don't "clean" my guns that often.
I do a quick wipe and a few bore patches.

You cant really hurt the carbine with a little grease.... TM9-1276 or FM23-7 google the training manuals .....my link is dead.

The Garand was not greased by CMP when I received it - save for the op spring. I've been using CLP the last year and a half save the bolt. I'm amazed at the difference the internal grease makes now in the sound of the Garand action - from a previous snappy metallic clank to a dull muted thunk now. Less wear in the internals I suppose.

MS

Last edited:
When I was a wee lad I spent a bit of time 1967 putting a few thousand carbines in order for issue to indigenous troops.

These came out of storage cans and /or on wood pallets. Some well preserved some not so much. We had a written guide that called for a dab of white lithium on the lugs and lug raceway. Now what is a dab? The remainder of the rifle was clean and dry but for a few drops of oil on the actions pins like hammer and trigger. Is or was this correct or not? I don't know. We all had several M2's and ran them clean and dry as I recall. Shouldn't there be an answer in a PM/TM?

weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/.../M1_Carbine_TM9-1276.pd... page 38 covers where on the rifle to grease and when....

Majspud. Cmp does not grease the garands and the "oil" applied is more for rust protection that lubrication. I don't know why the op springs are so greasy dirty all mine are as if they don't wash them along with the rest of the gun.
Cmp 1st step in intrustions after makeing sure it is not loaded is to disassemble clean and inspect.

Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle. and some good stuff for the carbine Rifle Sales - Carbine

Majspud if you like how your garand sounds with the grease try a new set of the Orion 7 spring kit. I swear with all the new springs installed it sounds better has less recoil and accuracy improves by at least a half minute of angle!

I cleaned my spring when I got it, but did not re-grease it. I've had no problems with it spring wise; the op-spring is the full 25.5". Two thirds of enblocs have had the bolt close automatically, and just a slight tap on others. Two jams with a single enbloc and none since taking that one out of service. I'll have to have another range trip to test it properly lubed up.

MS

War Department Technical Manual TM9-1276
Carbines, Cal. .30
M1, M1A1, M2 and M3
3/24/1947

Page 38 of above manual:

d. RIFLE GREASE. This grease is a lubricant and preservative for
use on certain areas of the carbines, cal. .30, Ml, M1A1, M2, and
M3, when exposed to rain or sea water spray. When exposure to rain
or sea water spray is anticipated, the following surfaces and areas will
be wiped dry with a clean, dry cloth and then lightly coated with rifle
grease by rubbing it on with the finger tip:
(1) Surface of the bolt actuating cam on the operating rod.
(2) Locking recesses in the receiver.
(3) The hammer actuating cam on the rear of the bolt.
(4) Upper and lower circular surfaces forming the receiver bridge,
at rear end of bolt.

So under normal circumstances, no. A couple of little dabs in those 4 areas couldn't really hurt.

Last edited:
the manual was made to instruct in the use of lubricants for a war time/battlefield use.

The way we use/clean any gun nowadays, any regular lubing of any kind will protect any gun far better than the milspec info you got.

People get way too hung up on lubes.

General rule of thumb...if it slides, grease it. If it turns, oil it.

Back
Top Bottom