Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this is the place to post this, but as for Weymouth it is indeed red. Furthermore, the licensing officer (after further questioning as to why I could not receive unrestricted) told me that they have a policy to only give unrestricted to ex military and police.

Hi folks, does anyone have any updated info on the new police chief in North Reading with regard to issuing restricted class A LTCs? I took the MFS course and they still list NR as a green town but unfortunately came across the bad news here.

Thanks!

Moved to Worcester from Vermont November 1st, interview 12/10/2013, LTC issued 1/15/2014 no restrictions first time

- - - Updated - - -

Moved to Worcester from Vermont November 1st, interview 12/10/2013, LTC issued 1/15/2014 no restrictions first time

Renewal: Worcester appointment at WPD 12/10/2013 LTC issued on 1/15/2014 restrictions None all in all was very good in and out about 10 min

Last edited:
Waltham has a new police chief, as of January 15th. Anyone know if they have changed their policy about not issuing LTC A unrestricted on the first time? I have tried calling, but since they have (I believe) a single officer handling all firearms licensing it sometimes takes a while to get an answer back.

Waltham has a new police chief, as of January 15th. Anyone know if they have changed their policy about not issuing LTC A unrestricted on the first time? I have tried calling, but since they have (I believe) a single officer handling all firearms licensing it sometimes takes a while to get an answer back.

Do not get your hopes up - it's still Waltham, and the same city politicians that hired the previous anti-freedom police chief will hire the next one.

And you might want to email the licensing officer - his track record on returning calls is less than stellar.

I may be moving to Massachusetts to take a good job in Boston and get closer to family in New Hampshire and Maine. I am not willing to live in New Hampshire, since I have no desire to live in my car (the job is in the financial district). That means living in Mass and dealing with the gun laws. I already know that I'm going to have to leave my AR-15, all of my standard/high capacity magazines and my tactical shotgun with my family in New Hampshire. I am assuming that I am going to have to leave my handguns in New Hampshire until I get licensed. I've been looking at Weymouth, Hingham, Cohassett, Scituate and Sharon as possible locations, due to availability and affordability of nice housing along with reasonable commute times, good schools and a generally less urban quality of life. The only town on my list that is "green" is Hingham. Here is my question:

What are the factors that weigh for or against getting an urestricted LTC-A? I have a Master's degree, earn a six figure income, have an immaculate record, have held concealed carry licenses in four different states over a period of more than 20 years. I am an NRA certified pistol instructor and range safety officer and am a former IDPA shooter who has had roughly 80 hours of formal firearms instruction. To my way of thinking, I cannot imagine what the problem would be with issuing someone like that a license. It seems like a total no-brainer and yet, this is Massachusetts we are talking about. Are any of those towns more red than others? Would getting a lawyer help? Do you guys have any suggestions regarding what I should do to optimize my chances? Do I need to worry about getting refused even a target/sporting restricted LTC-A?

i wouldn't worry about not being issued a license. but i'd try my best to live in a town that issues unrestricted LTC-A's to first time applicants. its too bad you dont want to live in NH, there's some mighty fine properties just over the border in pelham or windham. i've lived on the border (in MA...heading north in T-1 year) and it takes about 1.5 hours on a week day to get from the NH border to tremont st. in boston via I93. and about the same heading north...so it's definitely a crappy commute.

Bring all your guns with you to MA, except any non-compliant assault weapons and post ban magazines. You will be completely legal as long get licensed within the proper time frame. It is important you bring them with you for legal reasons.

Check the "stickies" in the MA Gun Laws Section.

I will definitely read up before the move. I know that I have to leave my AR-15 in New Hampshire, as it is most definitely post ban and set up in an M4 configuration. Ditto for the eleven 30-round magazines that go with it. My shotgun is a Mossberg 500 Tactical with a Knoxx Spec-Ops pistol grip compensating stock, so I assume that's also a no-no (again, I will read up if I do this). Most of the magazines for my XD-40 are 12 round and will need to stay out of state as well. I will also need to part ways with every magazine I own for my CZ P-01 and all the magazines for my wife's S&W M&P 9mm Compact. The extended mag for my Kahr P9 Covert only holds 7 rounds, so I'm fine there. I assume I will need to ditch the 30 round magazine for my daughter's Ruger 10/22 as well. In short, I'm going to have to buy a lot of 10 round mags after the move.

Why the hell would they deny an unrestricted license to a first time applicant that came into the state with a concealed carry license from another jurisdiction and documented proof of about 80 hours of formal firearms training? The mere though makes my head hurt.

A 90 minute commute is a sure-fire quality of life killer. I would rather leave my fun toys in New Hampshire and deal with the possible loss of my concealed carry license than spend three hours a day traveling to and from work. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have family nearby to leave my banned weapons with. That would make it harder.

i know corrections officers who carry a sidearm daily who are currently issued LTC's with restrictions. this is MA and literally zero percent of our gun laws make sense.

I grew up in New Hampshire, but avoided moving back to New England for many years because Boston was the only good job market for my skills. It is a very expensive area with a pretty lousy commuting situation and the gun laws are horrific. Unfortunately, my parents and my in-laws are all getting up into their 70s and our years of being able to responsibly live 800+ miles away from them are coming to a close. There are a few jobs in New Hampshire and Maine that pop up from time to time, but they tend to pay poorly enough that it makes no economic sense to take them. That takes me back to metro Boston. On the plus side, the schools are great, the public transportation is excellent and the array of cultural ammenities is truly phenominal. There are a lot of great things about the area. Sadly, the gun laws are not among them. After years of living in gun-friendly Florida and Michigan, it is going to be a bit of a shock.

Why the hell would they deny an unrestricted license to a first time applicant that came into the state with a concealed carry license from another jurisdiction and documented proof of about 80 hours of formal firearms training? The mere though makes my head hurt.

You need to settle into the 'right' town.

Bring all your guns with you to MA, except any non-compliant assault weapons and post ban magazines. You will be completely legal as long get licensed within the proper time frame. It is important you bring them with you for legal reasons.

Check the "stickies" in the MA Gun Laws Section.

THIS

Bring extras. Once licensed you'll be able to sell 4 per year to others who would like to own certain guns and new ones can command very high prices.

What happens if you get a license in a gun friendly town and later move to a less friendly town? Are there issues getting renewals?

What happens if you get a license in a gun friendly town and later move to a less friendly town? Are there issues getting renewals?

Your LTC will be valid for 6 years, even if you move. If you continue to read this forum, you'll make the right decisions. Generally it shouldn't be a problem if you move, but there are some towns you should avoid.

The town that issues your license continues to "own" it for the full term of the license (about 6 years). After that it's up to the town you live in when you renew.

I've gotten the impression that some of the red towns are okay with renewals, but not with first time licenses? If I started out renting in Hingham, for example. Would I be okay buying a house in Cohasset, Weymouth or Scituate later down the road?

I've gotten the impression that some of the red towns are okay with renewals, but not with first time licenses? If I started out renting in Hingham, for example. Would I be okay buying a house in Cohasset, Weymouth or Scituate later down the road?
Individual towns behave differently and it changes over time as new governments are elected and new chiefs appointed. Yes, some are more lenient on renewals than initial licenses, none that I've heard of are more restrictive. Your mileage may vary.

The good thing is you'll have plenty of time to figure out where the best place is for you when you're here.

Own lots of good ma-non-available handguns when you move in! (You'll need to enter them all into the non-registry-registry system.)

These are questions that can't be answered definitively. City and town 'gun friendliness' can be a fluid dynamic, and can change like the wind.

Sorry, but this is what we all face. You need to research any move you make. This forum is arguably the best place to do that.

I would avoid red towns if at all possible. Over the years I've always done my homework prior to moving. I've never had a restricted LTC in nearly 20 years, issued across 3 towns.

I even lived in 2 red towns (including Boston) during that time, but was always gone before renewal. Plan properly and you'll be fine.

I will definitely read up before the move. I know that I have to leave my AR-15 in New Hampshire, as it is most definitely post ban and set up in an M4 configuration. Ditto for the eleven 30-round magazines that go with it. My shotgun is a Mossberg 500 Tactical with a Knoxx Spec-Ops pistol grip compensating stock, so I assume that's also a no-no (again, I will read up if I do this). Most of the magazines for my XD-40 are 12 round and will need to stay out of state as well. I will also need to part ways with every magazine I own for my CZ P-01 and all the magazines for my wife's S&W M&P 9mm Compact. The extended mag for my Kahr P9 Covert only holds 7 rounds, so I'm fine there. I assume I will need to ditch the 30 round magazine for my daughter's Ruger 10/22 as well. In short, I'm going to have to buy a lot of 10 round mags after the move.

A 90 minute commute is a sure-fire quality of life killer. I would rather leave my fun toys in New Hampshire and deal with the possible loss of my concealed carry license than spend three hours a day traveling to and from work. I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have family nearby to leave my banned weapons with. That would make it harder.

Pump shotguns are NOT an issue and can have collapsible stocks.

Towns which issue restricted LTCs don't give much care about how much training you have had or how many permits you've had elsewhere. Fellow members of Braintree R&P have reported that Weymouth is almost impossible to get an unrestricted LTC. I've heard similar rumors about Sharon but don't have any info from first-timers there. You should consider Arlington, I believe that they only issue unrestricted LTCs and are very close to Boston, with good T access.

Every renewal is treated like a new application (only exception is the training course), so it is a crapshoot. If a chief changes or politicians push the chief to change policy, anything can happen (and it isn't usually good).

Individual towns behave differently and it changes over time as new governments are elected and new chiefs appointed. Yes, some are more lenient on renewals than initial licenses, none that I've heard of are more restrictive. Your mileage may vary.

The good thing is you'll have plenty of time to figure out where the best place is for you when you're here.

Own lots of good ma-non-available handguns when you move in! (You'll need to enter them all into the non-registry-registry system.)

WRONG!! NO requirement to register any guns he moves in with. Only if he brings the guns into MA AFTER he moves in . . . then he is legally required to register all of those guns.

I went and read all the rules around the AWB. All I have to do with my AR-15 is permanently attach a muzzle break, remove the bayonet lug and put on a fixed stock (or pin the adjustable). It was nice to see that the shotgun is legal as it. It looks like I mainly just have to dump mags in NH. I don't see that as a huge deal, since I usually carry a 6+1 Kahr and IDPA only allows 10 rounds anyway.

Thanks for the advice on non-Mass-approved handguns. I'll check that out. Might be a nice way to make a few bucks and help some folks out.

Arlington is WAY out of my price range. I'm looking where I'm looking because I can rent a nice house for around $2800/mo and take a 35 minute ferry ride to downtown. Sharon was appealing until I read about their track record with gun licenses, because of the nice neighborhoods, affordable houses and 40 minute train commute. Given the congestion and the cost of parking downtown, I think public transportation is the only way to go. I've got kids, so I want a house with a yard and need at least three beds and two baths (prefer 4 beds).

Avoid Weymouth. A friend who has had his LTC for 12 years and lived in town his whole life couldn't even get a class A, let alone unrestricted. He just moved to Marshfield and he will have a much better time getting unrestricted A.

Given the congestion and the cost of parking downtown, I think public transportation is the only way to go. I've got kids, so I want a house with a yard and need at least three beds and two baths (prefer 4 beds).

T is the only way to go. My Wife works Downtown near the Prudential Center and daily parking in that area is $35-40/day!! [shocked] Since they have parking (very limited) under her building, employees get a "special rate" of "ONLY" $28/day! [laugh]

The Financial District is so congested it would probably take 40 minutes in rush hour to just get to a garage and out again from/to a highway. One day I had to serve legal papers at Boston Medical School (BMC), when I left there heading South on Rte. 3 it took me 1 hr 45 minutes to drive the 20 miles on Rte. 3 and 128 and that was leaving BMC probably about 2:30-3PM!

The problem with the boat is the expense and it won't run in bad weather! Red Line or Commuter Rail are a lot more reliable (and less expensive) even if less scenic.

T is the only way to go. My Wife works Downtown near the Prudential Center and daily parking in that area is $35-40/day!! [shocked] Since they have parking (very limited) under her building, employees get a "special rate" of "ONLY" $28/day! [laugh]

The Financial District is so congested it would probably take 40 minutes in rush hour to just get to a garage and out again from/to a highway. One day I had to serve legal papers at Boston Medical School (BMC), when I left there heading South on Rte. 3 it took me 1 hr 45 minutes to drive the 20 miles on Rte. 3 and 128 and that was leaving BMC probably about 2:30-3PM!

The problem with the boat is the expense and it won't run in bad weather! Red Line or Commuter Rail are a lot more reliable (and less expensive) even if less scenic.

My soon to be wife works in the Financial district. I've never found the surface street traffic to be that bad when picking her up / dropping her off. The traffic coming down 93 on the other hand . . . The commuter rail or subway is definitely the way to go. Be aware that if you're right in the financial district, you want a Commuter Rail line that comes in to South Station. Trains in to North Station will require a 15-20 minute walk or changing to the subway. I work north of the city, so we were limited to the towns west of the city that go in to south station, which are unfortunately out of your price range.

Some of her coworkers take the boat and absolutely love it.

I went and read all the rules around the AWB. All I have to do with my AR-15 is permanently attach a muzzle break, remove the bayonet lug and put on a fixed stock (or pin the adjustable). It was nice to see that the shotgun is legal as it. It looks like I mainly just have to dump mags in NH. I don't see that as a huge deal, since I usually carry a 6+1 Kahr and IDPA only allows 10 rounds anyway.

Thanks for the advice on non-Mass-approved handguns. I'll check that out. Might be a nice way to make a few bucks and help some folks out.

Arlington is WAY out of my price range. I'm looking where I'm looking because I can rent a nice house for around $2800/mo and take a 35 minute ferry ride to downtown. Sharon was appealing until I read about their track record with gun licenses, because of the nice neighborhoods, affordable houses and 40 minute train commute. Given the congestion and the cost of parking downtown, I think public transportation is the only way to go. I've got kids, so I want a house with a yard and need at least three beds and two baths (prefer 4 beds).

Exeter, NH is 70 minutes away by train. If you can work in the train (it has wireless), it might be a solution.

In MA, the only rule is that whatever the Chief of Police feels like today drives what happens to your LTC apps. No training, previous experience, lawyer, etc. will make a difference. You move in MA, you are a powerless peon at the mercy of its masters. You stated you decided to stick with MA, so you should keep researching in the hope of finding lenient masters... but all that research means nothing if the Chief of Police gets replaced, gets new marching orders or has a bad breakfast the day your LTC is on his/her desk.

You have kids... remember they will pick up their attitudes from the moonbat kids they will be surrounded by, the even moonbattier teachers the MA towns hire, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom