Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharon is as, if not more, affluent than Arlington. Canton is nice, but has LTC rules are very similar to Sharon. Stoughton is green, on the commuter rail line, and affordable. Unfortunately, the school system is only mediocre.

Quincy might be a good place to look, the big downside seems to be the drug problem in some parts of the city.

Hingham is nice, but as LenS notes, if the boat isn't running, you're looking at a PITA commute.

I went and read all the rules around the AWB. All I have to do with my AR-15 is permanently attach a muzzle break, remove the bayonet lug and put on a fixed stock (or pin the adjustable). It was nice to see that the shotgun is legal as it. It looks like I mainly just have to dump mags in NH. I don't see that as a huge deal, since I usually carry a 6+1 Kahr and IDPA only allows 10 rounds anyway.

Thanks for the advice on non-Mass-approved handguns. I'll check that out. Might be a nice way to make a few bucks and help some folks out.

Arlington is WAY out of my price range. I'm looking where I'm looking because I can rent a nice house for around $2800/mo and take a 35 minute ferry ride to downtown. Sharon was appealing until I read about their track record with gun licenses, because of the nice neighborhoods, affordable houses and 40 minute train commute. Given the congestion and the cost of parking downtown, I think public transportation is the only way to go. I've got kids, so I want a house with a yard and need at least three beds and two baths (prefer 4 beds).

Update on the city of Cambridge, I received my LTC in spring of 2013. Class A, no restrictions. I was actually surprised. Ain't complaining though [smile]

Exeter, NH is 70 minutes away by train. If you can work in the train (it has wireless), it might be a solution.

In MA, the only rule is that whatever the Chief of Police feels like today drives what happens to your LTC apps. No training, previous experience, lawyer, etc. will make a difference. You move in MA, you are a powerless peon at the mercy of its masters. You stated you decided to stick with MA, so you should keep researching in the hope of finding lenient masters... but all that research means nothing if the Chief of Police gets replaced, gets new marching orders or has a bad breakfast the day your LTC is on his/her desk.

You have kids... remember they will pick up their attitudes from the moonbat kids they will be surrounded by, the even moonbattier teachers the MA towns hire, etc.

My oldest daughter is 16, pretty opinionated and pretty pro-gun. I am not all that worried about that aspect of thing, as I am comfortable with the way I am raising my kids. I am also not exactly conservative based on the more recent use of the word. I'm more of a politically unaffiliated socially libertarian fiscal moderate. I've lived in seven states and two foreign countries and have traveled all over the United States. The gun laws are my main issue with Mass. The taxes are honestly not that bad compared to a lot of places, they have some of the best schools in the country and I'm not a social conservative, so my knickers aren't in a twist over Gay marriage. This actually won't be the first time I've lived there. I went to college in Lancaster and spent another year in Clinton in the early 90s.

My problem with Exeter is that the drive to the train, the wait for the train and the train ride itself would consume three hours of my day. That's 15 hours a week, which is a LOT of time and makes for a very long day. It is not worth it. I would rather end up with a restricted LTC-A than burn that much of my life getting to and from work. I know this from experience. I spent several years traveling 57 miles each way to work and I swore I would never do it again. Commuting is a real soul sucker. I believe in the 2nd Amendment. I fully support Constitutional rights. I enjoy shooting. I've just gotten to the point where it is not my highest priority. Spending time with my family, living in a nice area, having good schools and maintaining a good work life balance are higher priorities for me right now and I do have the advantage of having a nearby place out of state to put my guns if things ever got ugly.

Just wanted to share my experience on going into the Malden PD recently with my friend who is applying for an LTC.

We walked in and ask for an application, we were handed one along with their list of requirements. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was they wanted (3) letters of reference from someone other than a family member.

I then asked what the process was like at their PD. The first thing out of the Sgts. mouth was, "It's very very hard to apply here", in a firm tone of voice. I then started questioning him on why it was so hard, after kind of stumbling around the question he said, "that's the way the chief deals with it". I again asked why, and he just said "that's the way it is" and began to give the "are you guys all set, anything else I can do for you?" We said no and walked out. It wasn't a very positive experience is all I can say.

Now the first thing out of my friends mouth to me was, "if it's so hard, should I even apply, is it even worth it?" Now when I heard this I got even more pissed off at the Sgt than I was.

I wonder how many people just don't even bother trying to apply after having a conversation like that with an officer at the window. This state sucks. I'm glad that I live in a green town and already have my LTC with no restrictions.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my experience on going into the Malden PD recently with my friend who is applying for an LTC.

We walked in and ask for an application, we were handed one along with their list of requirements. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was they wanted (3) letters of reference from someone other than a family member.

I then asked what the process was like at their PD. The first thing out of the Sgts. mouth was, "It's very very hard to apply here", in a firm tone of voice. I then started questioning him on why it was so hard, after kind of stumbling around the question he said, "that's the way the chief deals with it". I again asked why, and he just said "that's the way it is" and began to give the "are you guys all set, anything else I can do for you?" We said no and walked out. It wasn't a very positive experience is all I can say.

Now the first thing out of my friends mouth to me was, "if it's so hard, should I even apply, is it even worth it?" Now when I heard this I got even more pissed off at the Sgt than I was.

I wonder how many people just don't even bother trying to apply after having a conversation like that with an officer at the window. This state sucks. I'm glad that I live in a green town and already have my LTC with no restrictions.

I have a friend who has an unrestricted LTC in Malden. I believe he got it less than two years ago and on his first time. He is a veteran though so no idea if that played a role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens a lot. Many people think you cannot get any gun license without an act of God so they don't bother.

Also I have a friend that went through it in Malden a year ago and he walked in, submitted, came back 3 weeks later unrestricted. Maybe something changed.

Last edited:
My buddy just applied for his Class A in Waltham two weeks ago and he got restricted to hunting and target

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Did your buddy get his license already, or did the licensing officer just tell him NR was off the table? Didn't Waltham recently get a new chief because their old one had domestic violence issues? Maybe they just have an interim chief

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

He was told after the interview that those were going to be his restrictions. He is a first time applicant, and it was through the interim chief (I know because I had to write a new recommendation letter once the previous chief was fired)

Sharon is as, if not more, affluent than Arlington. Canton is nice, but has LTC rules are very similar to Sharon. Stoughton is green, on the commuter rail line, and affordable. Unfortunately, the school system is only mediocre.

Quincy might be a good place to look, the big downside seems to be the drug problem in some parts of the city.

Hingham is nice, but as LenS notes, if the boat isn't running, you're looking at a PITA commute.

If you are looking at Sharon, look one town over at Mansfield. Very pro 2A and right on the commuter rail.

If you are looking at Sharon, look one town over at Mansfield. Very pro 2A and right on the commuter rail.

Foxborough isn't bad either. Unrestricted A, schools are good, and there's a free shuttle service to the Mansfield station from a foxborough lot that has free parking and is right down the road.

Having two ranges within 10 minutes doesn't hurt either...

Mansfield is a fantastic town, and has(or at least had) great schools. Also, Chief O'Neil was very pro-2a. However, there's a new Chief now. Hopefully he's also pro-2A, but we'll have to see.

Mansfield is a fantastic town, and has(or at least had) great schools. Also, Chief O'Neil was very pro-2a. However, there's a new Chief now. Hopefully he's also pro-2A, but we'll have to see.
He is. In fact Mansfield only requires your application, and fee. No letters, no other BS. I talked to Sandy the other day, and she said things couldn't be any better, they issue ALP - A, all the time.

He is. In fact Mansfield only requires your application, and fee. No letters, no other BS. I talked to Sandy the other day, and she said things couldn't be any better, they issue ALP - A, all the time.
That's great news.

Burlington is most certainly Green [smile]

Sup all. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in as far as towns in ma. I'm in Lawrence and in my opinion I would say its green. I had no issues what so ever renewing in fact i had my class A ltc in under a month , may be that I am one of few law abiding citizens in this town [crying]

I know someone from Lawrence that got their LTC almost a year ago. He was told to take some classes in concealed carry and come back in a year to get his upgrade from T&H to Unrestricted. Not green.

Sup all. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in as far as towns in ma. I'm in Lawrence and in my opinion I would say its green. I had no issues what so ever renewing in fact i had my class A ltc in under a month , may be that I am one of few law abiding citizens in this town [crying]

Is it an unrestricted LTC-A?

Foxborough isn't bad either. Unrestricted A, schools are good, and there's a free shuttle service to the Mansfield station from a foxborough lot that has free parking and is right down the road.

Having two ranges within 10 minutes doesn't hurt either...

Foxboro ??

Is not a green town

Foxboro ??

Is not a green town

I know the chief there fairly well, but I've heard some pretty strange stories from there, so I'd be super cautious. Talk with Keith Langer before thinking of that town, he might have some current info of use in decision making.

I know the chief there fairly well, but I've heard some pretty strange stories from there, so I'd be super cautious. Talk with Keith Langer before thinking of that town, he might have some current info of use in decision making.

from what I heard from some residents he gives restricted and tells them if all goes well ALP upon renewal

When did you apply that they told you no letters required? I submitted my renewal papers last April and they required two letters....granted ALP was, and from some other people in town, the absolute standard here.

When did you apply that they told you no letters required? I submitted my renewal papers last April and they required two letters....granted ALP was, and from some other people in town, the absolute standard here.
New Chief. Oneill ( thank god) is gone. New rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom