Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experience of folks on this forum, confirmed myself via discussing with the woman who processed my application, and verified by the unrestricted LTC sitting in my wallet. If you move into town with an unrestricted license, at this time there should be no fear of it being downgraded upon renewal.
This is good to know, as I too might consider moving to Woburn if I can hold onto my unrestricted LTC.

Experience of folks on this forum, confirmed myself via discussing with the woman who processed my application, and verified by the unrestricted LTC sitting in my wallet. If you move into town with an unrestricted license, at this time there should be no fear of it being downgraded upon renewal.

its honestly probably the stupidest of policies, because it is rooted in absolutely nothing. Some of the other towns that have reasons for doing things, I at least understand why they do it (not that I agree they should be allowed to, but I can see why a CoP might be hesitant)......but the whole "you keep unrestricted if you move here" is by far the stupidest and worst of them all....

its honestly probably the stupidest of policies, because it is rooted in absolutely nothing. Some of the other towns that have reasons for doing things, I at least understand why they do it (not that I agree they should be allowed to, but I can see why a CoP might be hesitant)......but the whole "you keep unrestricted if you move here" is by far the stupidest and worst of them all....
At least it's stupid in the right direction. I think the reasoning is that if you have held unrestricted without a problem you have demonstrated responsibility

At least it's stupid in the right direction. I think the reasoning is that if you have held unrestricted without a problem you have demonstrated responsibility

then the logical extension of that would be "once you demonstrate some responsibility, we will also give our own serfs the ability to carry", except they don't. SO to me, its actually a move in the wrong direction.

then the logical extension of that would be "once you demonstrate some responsibility, we will also give our own serfs the ability to carry", except they don't. SO to me, its actually a move in the wrong direction.

I get your point, but the alternative would be downgrading those who move with unrestricted. At least some group here is keeping their unrestricted LTC, but agreed it's not fair and doesn't make much sense.

Hey everyone, is there any updated info on Westwood? Starting the process of looking at new houses and my list always includes licensing patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to ask about Hampden. Member reports seem to be very positive but the Comm2A data indicates an unusually high percentage of restricted licenses, especially for such a small rural town. I believe the COP is a former Springfield officer which might tend to explain the high percentage of restricted licenses... or not. [thinking]

Can anyone shed some light on this? We were very close to buying property there until I read about the restricted licenses and even found out that a long-time resident friend of ours had been given restricted and didn't even realize it.

Anyone know why so many restricted licenses being issued in Hampden?

Hi Folks - any more recent news on Plainville than 2013? I just dropped off my paperwork last week and have heard nothing yet - no $100 fee, no finger prints - nothing!

Thanks for any info for a newby.

Jim D

I have good news to report about Plainville. I called this morning about my LTC A which I applied for one day after the Sandy Hook tragedy (just the date they gave me for my appointment, bad timing I know). I drove down expecting to walk back out with my restricted LTC A. Got the envelope, opened the envelope, my license fell in between my car seat in one of those awkward spots..fooled around for about 25 minutes trying to get it out of the crevace between the carpet and the car..held my license up and looked..and wouldn't ya' know it, LTC A, Restrictions: None.

I had to write a letter as to why I needed All Lawful Purpose. I included the basic bread and butter you'd expect.

Timeline:

Applied: December 8th
Fingerprinted: December 15th
Received: January 17th

First time applicant, no prior history.
--------------------

I am hesitant to suggest this town turning green after the amount of people I've consulted who have had the opposite result but just an experience I wanted to share.

Does anybody have any history with how long the process takes to apply for an LTC through Beverly? Considering moving there. Thank you.

I'm not sure about Beverly, However I have a friend who waited almost 3-months for his restricted ltc in Newton Ma.But it was his own fault because I kept telling to call after a month, his application got (lost) ha, Most red towns have an officer in charge of applications & it's just an extra job for them to do that they only do in there spare time,,Don't be afraid to call & check up after a month or so..

I'm not sure about Beverly, However I have a friend who waited almost 3-months for his restricted ltc in Newton Ma.But it was his own fault because I kept telling to call after a month, his application got (lost) ha, Most red towns have an officer in charge of applications & it's just an extra job for them to do that they only do in there spare time,,Don't be afraid to call & check up after a month or so..

Thanks for the intel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the intel.

In worcester, you have to make an appointment just to put in an application for a ltc. And my wife just called for a appointment. And they told her mid april is the soonest available. 3 months wait just to apply for a license in worcester. not including waiting for approval. Are you kidding me? Can they do that?

Anyone have any recent intel on how bad/long the backup at the FRB is? Guy on the phone said "a few days" but I find that hard to believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any recent intel on how bad/long the backup at the FRB is? Guy on the phone said "a few days" but I find that hard to believe.

Scituate should be changed to red, based on these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCK M View Post
I don't know if this was already said but Scituate is a red town just went in a few days ago to apply for LTC-class A ALP and the SGT told me the only issue LTC-A for hunting and target.
Quote Originally Posted by Mass-diver View Post
Scituate is currently listed as green. One of my dad's friend's who has lived in the town forever and had an ALP/no restriction for many years was just given "hunting and target" for his renewable. He was told "from now on we are only giving carry permits to small business owners. What's the problem, you want to carry a gun like us?"
and latest @April 13th 2012
Quote Originally Posted by CHUCK M View Post
Just picked m

and latest @April 13th 2012

Any updates on Scituate more recent than these from 2012? A friend is interested in getting her license...

- - - Updated - - -

The FRB usually isn't the problem for resident LTCs. The PDs often take their sweet time and blame the FRB, but that isn't the case. This is why the FRB put a hotline in place.

Hi all, new to the forum and very impressed with the depth of knowledge and assistance.

Any recent intel on Melrose? I am going to apply after a long time away from having my LTC, and want to have all my ducks in a row. Comm2A list looks encouraging.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, new to the forum and very impressed with the depth of knowledge and assistance.

Any recent intel on Melrose? I am going to apply after a long time away from having my LTC, and want to have all my ducks in a row. Comm2A list looks encouraging.

Thanks in advance!

I originally got licensed in Melrose in 2009. Sgt. Goc is a great guy. They are very green.

Thanks in advance!
Another Melrosian! Woohoo! :) I'm applying in early February. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I've got a minor bone to pick with the current map. With the phasing out of the Class "B" license as a result of the 2014 legislative changes, is Canton not now forced to issue Class A licenses?

If so, I recommend an updated map, striking the Grey "almost impossible or impossible to obtain Class 'A' license" category, since only Canton was a member of that category.

Just my .02 cents.

I've got a minor bone to pick with the current map. With the phasing out of the Class "B" license as a result of the 2014 legislative changes, is Canton not now forced to issue Class A licenses?

If so, I recommend an updated map, striking the Grey "almost impossible or impossible to obtain Class 'A' license" category, since only Canton was a member of that category.

Just my .02 cents.

I wouldn't use the map as a reliable source. I would use the Comm2A data. Ive never looked at the map to see what a town is listed as. Also, Canton wasn't he only one, it just hasn't been updated in a while.

Just my .02 cents.

You're missing the point of the map. It's not "ability to get class-A", it's "ability to get an UNRESTRICTED class-A"

My buddy submitted his fist application to to C.O.P
In Achushnet, does anyone know how long he should expect to wait for an appointment?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You're missing the point of the map. It's not "ability to get class-A", it's "ability to get an UNRESTRICTED class-A"

Right, but my point was that Canton was in a category all by itself. According to the map, the Grey designation meant that the town seldom, if ever, issued Class A LTCs (not even restricted ones). Only Class Bs. I'm not sure if this was actually true (I don't live in Canton), I'm just pointing out that it appears the grey designation is obsolete now that Class Bs are no longer being issued.

It was true, at least for the first license. It's moot now and as someone else pointed out, the Comm2A data is much more accurate. This thread is valuable, the map is less so.

Right, but my point was that Canton was in a category all by itself. According to the map, the Grey designation meant that the town seldom, if ever, issued Class A LTCs (not even restricted ones). Only Class Bs. I'm not sure if this was actually true (I don't live in Canton), I'm just pointing out that it appears the grey designation is obsolete now that Class Bs are no longer being issued.

Mass rights #1) Pay your taxes. #2) Shut the f*** up. #3) Vote for anybody with a D by there name.( If you can't get to the polls by yourself an undocumented citizen can be assigned to vote for you) That is all.

The 2015 Licensing Summary is now available. An analysis will follow in a few week. New for 2015 - Adams. The Adams PD did not issue a single unrestricted LTC in 2015.

Comm2A 2015 License Scorecard.

Great work, thanks!

Although, I have to say-could you imagine if the lone wolf in Mount Washington got a restricted license? [lol]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom