Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2015 Licensing Summary is now available. An analysis will follow in a few week. New for 2015 - Adams. The Adams PD did not issue a single unrestricted LTC in 2015.

Comm2A 2015 License Scorecard.

Excellent, thanks!

Should the footnote: "† Percentage of LTCs issued Restrictions: None" Instead say Percentage of LTCs issued with Restrictions?

If the data are available, it would be interesting to see in some of these red towns what percentage of unrestricted licenses were unrestricted renewals vs new applicants.

The 2015 Licensing Summary is now available. An analysis will follow in a few week. New for 2015 - Adams. The Adams PD did not issue a single unrestricted LTC in 2015.

Sorted by % restricted almost a roadmap of which towns/cities to take to court next. At what point do they "get it"?

Excellent, thanks!

Should the footnote: "† Percentage of LTCs issued Restrictions: None" Instead say Percentage of LTCs issued with Restrictions?
^Yes. It's been fixed.

If the data are available, it would be interesting to see in some of these red towns what percentage of unrestricted licenses were unrestricted renewals vs new applicants.
State wide 83% of the restricted LTCs issued in 2015 were new applications.

Another interesting trend is that in 2015 for the first time, new FID applications outstripped renewal FID applications - 2,205 new vs. 1,058 renewal. This could be seen as a good thing since there should be no reason to renew an FID card. However, this could reflect new statutory eligibility required for the FID. I suspect a lot of folks how had FIDs because they couldn't get an LTC now can't renew their FID cards.

Last edited:

Great work, as always. The color gradation from yellow to red is a nice touch.

I also notice that unlike years past, issuing any restricted licenses at all bumps a town out of "green" status. And that you've got from reporting "percent issued unrestricted" to "percent issued restricted". Why the changes, out of curiosity?

Great work, as always. The color gradation from yellow to red is a nice touch.

I also notice that unlike years past, issuing any restricted licenses at all bumps a town out of "green" status. And that you've got from reporting "percent issued unrestricted" to "percent issued restricted". Why the changes, out of curiosity?
I don't know. At 1am it just seemed like a good idea to focus where it should be: on restricted license.

About a dozen missing? Maybe because some of the smaller towns share PDs, or rely on the State to issue?
There are bout seven towns without data. Most or all of them are not on MIRCs or didn't issue any LTCs in 2015.

Does Comm2A make the data for previous years available?

I'd love to look at trends and other data.
We have data on ALL active licenses, with the date of issue. We double count if we combine data sets. Basically, the rate of restricted licenses is declining, but the change was very small from 2014-2015.

^Yes. It's been fixed.

State wide 83% of the restricted LTCs issued in 2015 were new applications.

Another interesting trend is that in 2015 for the first time, new FID applications outstripped renewal FID applications - 2,205 new vs. 1,058 renewal. This could be seen as a good thing since there should be no reason to renew an FID card. However, this could reflect new statutory eligibility required for the FID. I suspect a lot of folks how had FIDs because they couldn't get an LTC now can't renew their FID cards.

Great info, thank you again for sharing.

As a resident of Canton for over 30 years, it was my impression it was never difficult to get a Class A LTC. However, their policy was all Class A LTC were issued with restrictions. When I renewed 1 year ago, I was informed there was a new policy - Class A LTC were to be issued without restrictions hereafter. For the first time in 30 years my LTC has no restrictions.

Chicopee with a huge turnaround from years past. New chief is a great guy wrt 2A and leading the department. The trends are generally in our favor, thanks Comm2A. Keep up the pressure.

One that continues to baffle me is Arlington, which by anecdote in this thread is very very green. However Comm2A's data says that Arlington restricts 19% of LTCs. I think there were similar numbers last year. Is there an explanation for the discrepancy?

Outstanding work. Glad to see Framingham is green again. I have to renew later this year, and had heard stories about FPD issuing restricted - though probably less likely on unrestricted renewal.

One that continues to baffle me is Arlington, which by anecdote in this thread is very very green. However Comm2A's data says that Arlington restricts 19% of LTCs. I think there were similar numbers last year. Is there an explanation for the discrepancy?

1. You don't have every single applicant in Arlington here posting about their experience. Its all about data points.
2. Perhaps Arlington issues exactly what someone asks for. If someone says they want the LTC just to go to the range an so they can hunt, the maybe Arlington gives them just that.

- - - Updated - - -

1. You don't have every single applicant in Arlington here posting about their experience. Its all about data points.
2. Perhaps Arlington issues exactly what someone asks for. If someone says they want the LTC just to go to the range an so they can hunt, the maybe Arlington gives them just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding work. Glad to see Framingham is green again. I have to renew later this year, and had heard stories about FPD issuing restricted - though probably less likely on unrestricted renewal.
The report doesn't really tell the story. Number issued and % of those restricted. But how many denied and how many after appeal? According to FPD LO: CWOF, 4 charges, 1 insindent, 13 years ago, no violence or drugs equals guilty (in writing ). That's not green.

I have heard he considers it an all or nothing thing, no restrictions.

This from an LO who had his LTC revoked in 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

The report doesn't really tell the story. Number issued and % of those restricted. But how many denied and how many after appeal? According to FPD LO: CWOF, 4 charges, 1 insindent, 13 years ago, no violence or drugs equals guilty (in writing ). That's not green.

I have heard he considers it an all or nothing thing, no restrictions.

This from an LO who had his LTC revoked in 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Would that be any different now with the rules that went into effect in 2015 where all denials must be made in writing?

Would that be any different now with the rules that went into effect in 2015 where all denials must be made in writing?
Which part? The example was in Jan 2015, in writing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seems strange to mark a town Yellow if it issues ANY restricted licenses.

Not really. Green obviously make sense. Yellow I would say trends to no restrictions but they have issued some restrictions. Read is skewed the opposite way to more restricted than unrestricted.

It would be strange to mark them green if it issues any restricted licenses, not yellow.

Just got back from my LTC renewal appointment for Newton (first time renewal in Newton).

Called to make an appt this Tues. Got an appt Thursday (today). Pretty good.

Went in with my packet (app, safety certificate, passport, utility bill, 2 letters of reference and letter to chief to lift prior restrictions.

The clerk (Trish) was very nice and it was a very smooth process.

She was able to clarify some questions I've seen posted on here about Newton processing.

The 2 letters of reference are only needed for first time apps. No reference letters are needed for renewals (even first time Newton renewals). You can leave the reference area on the application blank as well.

She mentioned that for any renewals (first time or not), the LTC will be issued as unrestricted.

If you have prior restrictions, you turn in a letter (with your app) explaining you want them lifted.

For first time applicants, there is a 1 year probationary period with T&H restrictions on the LTC. After a year, you can ask (in writing) for restrictions to be lifted.

My LTC expires in 2017, and by that time I'll be living in Watertown. Should I anticipate them placing restrictions on it (first time renewal)? I hear they are real terrors in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom