Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cambridge LTC-A Unrestricted
Issued: 10/12/16
Applied: 8/20/16

I believe in miracles!
The process what pretty straightforward and the folks in licensing office were very friendly.
I did get two separate followup calls asking what "restrictions I wanted to apply for?" about two weeks after my application/ interview.
I made it clear I was applying for self-defense all lawful purposes, period.

Last edited:
Cambridge LTC-A Unrestricted
Issued: 10/12/16
Applied: 8/20/16

I believe in miracles!
The process what pretty straightforward and the folks in licensing office were very friendly.
I did get two separate followup calls asking if what "restrictions I wanted to apply for?" about two weeks after my application/ interview.
I made it clear I was applying for self-defense all lawful purposes, period.

I love the back-a$$ed worded question... Which restrictions do you want...

Oh... Jeepers.. Can I have them all.

They could do this with taxes.

"You want to be in the highest tax bracket, right?"

I love the back-a$$ed worded question... Which restrictions do you want...

Oh... Jeepers.. Can I have them all.

They could do this with taxes.

"You want to be in the highest tax bracket, right?"

Seriously!
I was so confused, flabbergasted. "Restrictions" sound a lot like "infringements" to me.
However I will say that the conversation was very friendly and productive. She suggested that I add documents to show that I was a business owner which would add strengthen to my application. It made me really nervous at the time, but in hindsight it all worked out!

Seriously!
I was so confused, flabbergasted. "Restrictions" sound a lot like "infringements" to me.
However I will say that the conversation was very friendly and productive. She suggested that I add documents to show that I was a business owner which would add strengthen to my application. It made me really nervous at the time, but in hindsight it all worked out!

They are !! straight out true, even the LTC app is.

Seriously!

Congrats! Did you have to add anything else regarding your business ownership?

Congrats! Did you have to add anything else regarding your business ownership?

In my application, I went into detail about my professional work although it has nothing to do with my need to have a firearm.
I submitted my MA certificates of organization for the two business that I own and that are registered at my home address.
I also do property management work which, one could argue might require protection, but in the interview I was told that if I was applying for employment I would need to have documentation from my work. However, I made it clear that this was not the reason why I was applying because I thought that this could be used as justification for a restriction.

My approach was to give as many examples of how I was an upstanding responsible person who was applying for protection and self-defense.
I wrote a 600+word letter which I also described my experience with firearms, courses I have taken, and that I have a membership at a gun club.

Here is the first paragraph of my letter:
I am applying for a Class A License to Carry permit for all lawful purposes. I am applying to for this permit to ensure the security and protection of myself, my family and my personal property should the need arise. I believe that responsible gun ownership is necessary to prevent injury to my person and property in any or all situations, especially those that are unpredictable or extraordinary.

I am really relieved to have run the gauntlet and come out at the end without restrictions, but the whole process is very unsettling.
It doesn't bother me that they make you jump through hoops, but it disturbs me that after the whole process, the time, the money, the effort at the end someone can still simply say "no, not you" and deny you a fundamental constitutional right. The fact that there are "red" and "green" towns just illustrates the discriminatory nature of the permitting process. Imagine if your right to free speech, unlawful searches and seizures, or voting was a function of where you happen to live. It's disturbing. Welcome to Masslandia.

Last edited:
Hi, I live in metro west Boston. I just need advice on how to fill out my renewal FID form, in particular I need 2 references .. I don't need letters of recommendation again ? I lived in a different town close by 4 years ago when the original FID card was issued

I only have a 22 that I paid may $170 for and I never use it but the renewal is going to cost $100

Hi, I live in metro west Boston. I just need advice on how to fill out my renewal FID form, in particular I need 2 references .. I don't need letters of recommendation again ? I lived in a different town close by 4 years ago when the original FID card was issued

I only have a 22 that I paid may $170 for and I never use it but the renewal is going to cost $100

It depends on which town.

You should apply for an LTC, not an FID, the LTC costs the same, but has far more options.

Marlborough

According to the first post in this thread, it's a green town, so get two references (friends, co-worker, whatever) and fill out the form without lying. Ask for an LTC (LTC-A if they're using older forms) and put something like "for personal protection, hunting, collecting, and target shooting" in the "reason for issuance" box.

Maybe I don't understand your question. Are you looking for references here?

According to the first post in this thread, it's a green town, so get two references (friends, co-worker, whatever) and fill out the form without lying. Ask for an LTC (LTC-A if they're using older forms) and put something like "for personal protection, hunting, collecting, and target shooting" in the "reason for issuance" box.

Maybe I don't understand your question. Are you looking for references here?

Why is LTC better ? It doesn't cost less ? I only have a 22 and I never really use it. I think I was not permitted a LTC 4 years ago because of some incident from 30 years ago.

Why is LTC better ? It doesn't cost less ? I only have a 22 and I never really use it. I think I was not permitted a LTC 4 years ago because of some incident from 30 years ago.

Because it's the same process to get both and one limits you severely while the other gives you more "freedom". I'm not sure why you'd go through the process the same process to limit yourself.

Without going into detail, was the incident something the COP pulled suitability on? If not, be sure you're not a prohibited person.

Why is LTC better ? It doesn't cost less ?

FID = non large capacity rifles only
LTC = anything anyone not a cop can have, plus the potential for carrying.

same cost
same process
same forms

Why *wouldn't* you get an LTC?

I only have a 22 and I never really use it.

So.... why do you even care about the FID then?

I think I was not permitted a LTC 4 years ago because of some incident from 30 years ago.

If "not permitted" means "the Chief said he didn't like the idea" (suitability, so he made a recommendation) , then you should still apply for an LTC because the chief in the Marlboro might not care about the "incident from 30 years ago"

But if the incident 30 years ago includes a conviction for something, (don't tell us about it) there might be a statutory reason. (although I'm having trouble thinking of anything that would prevent you from getting an LTC that wouldn't also prevent you from getting an FID.

Because it's the same process to get both and one limits you severely while the other gives you more "freedom". I'm not sure why you'd go through the process the same process to limit yourself.

Without going into detail, was the incident something the COP pulled suitability on? If not, be sure you're not a prohibited person.

I'm not really a big gun enthusiast, like I said I just have a 22 that I never use .. but if I apply for LTC then it gets denied, I have to submit another form for the FID card etc. I was sent a letter saying they are behind in processing applications and to apply as soon as possible even though my FID card expires at the end of March .. If I get bogged down with paper work and the whole process I am concerned it won't happen on time or some other hassle might occur because of complexity etc

Last edited:
I'm not really a big gun enthusiast, like I said I just have a 22 that I never use .. but if I apply for LTC then it gets denied, I have to submit another form for the FID card etc. I was sent a letter saying they are behind in processing applications and to apply as soon as possible even though my FID card expires at the end of March .. If I get bogged down with paper work and the whole process I am concerned it won't happen on time or some other hassle might occur because of complexity etc

larz: If there's a reason to deny you an LTC, they will probably want to deny you an FID as well. They just have to work a little hard to do it. If you don't have a disqualifying factor in your background and if there's no reason to deny you on suitability, you shouldn't worry. LTC vs. FID will be the same for you.

More than most, I can appreciate that you may not be "a big gun enthusiast". The issue is bigger than that. You have a right to that license and the fact that you want it should be enough. You shouldn't have to insiste upon it.

The very enumeration of the right takes out of the hands of government – even the Third Branch of Government – the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon.
-CD v. Heller

What Knuckle Dragger said! Since FIDs aren't may issue anymore, if you'd be denied an LTC you'd be denied an FID. While they can restrict how you can carry a handgun concealed on an LTC, that's much different than being denied and nothing you have to explain. Unless you have a statutory disqualifier (would prohibit both LTC and FID) pretty much any MA town will grant an LTC with Sporting restrictions.

See it as a bit of insurance as well. With how the election falls, you may see further restrictions in MA on FIDs or maybe their elimination. Similar as well with the AG's "interpretations".

What Knuckle Dragger said! Since FIDs aren't may issue anymore, if you'd be denied an LTC you'd be denied an FID. While they can restrict how you can carry a handgun concealed on an LTC, that's much different than being denied and nothing you have to explain. Unless you have a statutory disqualifier (would prohibit both LTC and FID) pretty much any MA town will grant an LTC with Sporting restrictions.

See it as a bit of insurance as well. With how the election falls, you may see further restrictions in MA on FIDs or maybe their elimination. Similar as well with the AG's "interpretations".

If my FID has a "sporting" restriction which I never asked for, isn't it more likely that I would be denied a LTC ? Even if I have an FID card and nothing has happened legally since I obtained it 4 years ago nor in the past 30 years, is it likely I would be denied a renewal ?

If my FID has a "sporting" restriction which I never asked for, isn't it more likely that I would be denied a LTC ? Even if I have an FID card and nothing has happened legally since I obtained it 4 years ago nor in the past 30 years, is it likely I would be denied a renewal ?

Huh, FIDs aren't supposed to have restrictions. We already have laws that prohibit carrying an uncased rifle on a public way (with a minor hunting exception).

No, restrictions are irrelevant to denials. If you have an FID and apply for a LTC, with no disqualifiers, you will certainly get a LTC. Restrictions are most often a department policy issue rather than a personal applicant issue.

FID 'restrictions' are meaningless. The FID isn't supposed to have any. You can't infer anything from that about your LTC. It isn't even remotely likely that you'd be denied an LTC. Given that you already have an FID, I'd really like to hear from you if you are denied an LTC. The PD has to come up with some plausible reason for denying you an LTC and it doesn't sound like you've given them one.

A restriction on an FID is rather meaningless. I wouldn't assume that the existence of such a restriction would have any predictive value of what the police department would or would not do. At this point, I suggest that you consult with a MA firearms attorney. First, get the records from the court of whatever legal entanglement(s) you had in your past.

About the only thing, besides a "real" felony conviction, that can disqualify you from a MA license, FID, or LTC, is a DUI conviction after May, 1994, and domestic violence issues. Un-vacated restraining orders would be an issue as well.

If you haven't been paying attention, MA firearms laws have changed a bit since you last renewed. Listen to Knuckdragger, he knows his stuff.

A restriction on an FID is rather meaningless. I wouldn't assume that the existence of such a restriction would have any predictive value of what the police department would or would not do. At this point, I suggest that you consult with a MA firearms attorney. First, get the records from the court of whatever legal entanglement(s) you had in your past.

i don't have my FID in front of me, but I have all the info on my computer that I copied from it:

It was issued in Framingham in 2011 and says this on it
restrictions: sporting
class A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom