• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have been changed a long time ago. In the first 10-1/2 months of 2016 the issued 203 LTCs. None were restricted.
They definitely used to be red, but the new chief saw reason.

- - - Updated - - -

They should have been changed a long time ago. In the first 10-1/2 months of 2016 the issued 203 LTCs. None were restricted.
They definitely used to be red, but the new chief saw reason.

I signed up to this site just to add to the stats. Got my Braintree LTC a few months ago. Restricted to "Sporting". [angry2]

Last edited:
Looking to apply on my 21st birthday next month in Reading. Had my fid card for about five years now. Anybody know the chances i will get an unrestricted ltc-a?

Update: still waiting. been 8 weeks to the day. checked frb and my status has been pending review by the chief for the past 4 weeks. even though i listed an officer as my reference! Not trying to b&%ch about it. I just want to get to the range more since I'm 5 minutes from MRA. In fact, the licensing officer was very professional when i inquired a few weeks back. told me there were over 500 applicants in 2017. That's a busy department.

Last edited:
Update: still waiting. been 8 weeks to the day. checked frb and my status has been pending review by the chief for the past 4 weeks. even though i listed an officer as my reference! Not trying to b&%ch about it. I just want to get to the range more since I'm 5 minutes from MRA. In fact, the licensing officer was very professional when i inquired a few weeks back. told me there were over 500 applicants in 2017. That's a busy department.

Wow, almost 2 a day (adjusted for it only be Nov.). Must be a small department.

Wow, almost 2 a day (adjusted for it only be Nov.). Must be a small department.
No kidding! One officer does the licensing part time. Coincidentally, Reading keeps winning one of the top 25 safest towns in thencountry. Probably because every person ive met in this town has their LTC!

set up renewal for Somerville my LTC expires in March have an appointment for next month will update after

UPDATE 12/19
Made an error and went to wrong address, ended up being 10 minutes late but they still took me in. Patricia was the agent there and she processed all the paperwork, I had to get a new photo taken , Somerville also requires a letter to the licensing officer that i also dropped off. took about 15 minutes didn't have to meet with anyone else. Was told 6-8 weeks to get new ltc in mail. its also interesting to know they have a file on you; i saw my file including my Original application and finger prints as well as the copy of safety class certificate they even had the letter i sent to get my restrictions removed that was signed off by the officer at the time. will update again once i get new one

Last edited:
Dropped off my application for new LTC on 12/12. Have not received any phone call for interview schedule.
I understand the holidays and only one licensing officer. Is this normal ?

No kidding! One officer does the licensing part time. Coincidentally, Reading keeps winning one of the top 25 safest towns in thencountry. Probably because every person ive met in this town has their LTC!
Update: went in on 9/26/17. Now 1/16/18 and no license. Status is still pending.

Just another update. 2/11 and no ltc yet. Its been about 5 months now. I know i havent been denied, i just want this process to be over.
Are you getting the status from the PD or calling the state?

Hav

having a friend at another pd check in the system on my behalf.

State usually doesn't take that long, what exactly is he seeing? Pending state approval or pending PD approval/issue. It usually goes to the state for approval and then is sent back to the PD for their approval and then issue (or local PD denial on suitability, not suggesting this happened, just the sequence). The big delays tend to be the local PD.

State usually doesn't take that long, what exactly is he seeing? Pending state approval or pending PD approval/issue. It usually goes to the state for approval and then is sent back to the PD for their approval and then issue (or local PD denial on suitability, not suggesting this happened, just the sequence). The big delays tend to be the local PD.
I believe it is pending pd approval at the moment. I dont think anything has even been sent to the state yet.

I believe it is pending pd approval at the moment. I dont think anything has even been sent to the state yet.
The process has the information sent by the PD to the state who either approves or denies. This is sent to the PD who then either informs you of the state's denial, or makes a suitability decision and either approves or denies. The point is, the PD doesn't make any decision until after the state.

Someone here will know the phone number, call the state and ask them the status.

Got a friend first time applying in Watertown, any update on WT? he has a sergeant from another town as a reference

Friend of mine just finished the interview in Watertown and her restricted LTC is pending. The LO told her "everyone gets restrictions their first time" and "come back if anything else changes and we can reassess". She works for a PD (non officer) and had other compelling reasons that she discussed during the interview but was still shut down.

Thought I'd chime in with a recent and detailed Newton update. As stated previously, Newton is issuing target & hunting restrictions to all first-time applicants for a 1-year probationary period. They ask you to practice with a firearm in that time, and they say that after one year you can write a letter to the chief and they'll remove your restriction. **They really want to see a live fire course.**

Besides the automatic restriction for no other reason than "we can"... scheduling a time to turn in your application and do fingerprinting is probably the most frustrating part of the entire process. Appointments are 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30, on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - why? I was told "because the system just gets too bogged down in the afternoon."

After fingerprinting I was told I'd get a call from the interviewing officer in a week to come in for an interview, which was quick and far less intense than I had anticipated (at least in my case). I have to give Newton credit that they submitted the application immediately - it was approved by the state within a week of my interview. Contrary to what most PDs do, Newton insists that they will not call you when your license comes in - you have to call. Once it's in, you can pick it up from 8-3 on any weekday. Said and done, the whole process took about a month and a half, and the state took about a month of that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom