Gun ban raises the heat in Rehoboth

Nfdbrian

NES Member
Selectmen vote to exclude firearms from town hall

REHOBOTH - Concealed weapons are raising the discomfort level in town hall, from which selectmen specifically excluded firearms Monday night.

But such a declaration could be in conflict with state law that prohibits weapons only in schools, not other public buildings.

The issue arose after selectmen made three appointments to the finance committee, including former Selectman Christopher Morra and former school committee candidates Michael Deignan and Tracy Gaucher.

Incumbent committee members Andrea Pankratz and Elizabeth Doyle failed to gain reappointment and board member Jim Horton resigned.

At the meeting, finance committee Chairwoman Sue Pimental asked if members were allowed to carry weapons at meetings - and mentioned Morra by name as having a license to carry. The statement prompted a closed session between selectmen and Police Chief Stephen Enos, after which selectmen Chairman Ken Foley asked anyone carrying a weapon to leave.

Morra and another resident left the meeting room, but only Morra returned.

The former selectman, who said he left to talk with the chief, declined to say whether he carries a firearm but expressed outrage at Pimental.

"It's unprofessional for a public official to raise that issue," said Morra, who accused Pimental of being part of a group that is suing the town.

He said any attempt to prohibit citizens from carrying weapons would violate the Second Amendment.

Morra said he understands that Foley's request was based on an opinion from a lawyer. Pimental, who said she and Morra have had disagreements in the past, said she's concerned about members bringing weapons with them to meetings.

"It's kind of scary," Pimental said.

Pimental said it's not true that she's involved in litigation against the town. She said, however, she is one of the plaintiffs suing Morra personally for defamation.

Enos said at Monday's meeting he was concerned over outbursts at public meetings and wants to ensure that the public is safe.

"I think we need to get the word out to all public boards, to everyone in town," he said. "I think everybody has the right to be safe at the meetings. We're not going to tolerate any weapons coming in the door."

The chief could not be reached Wednesday.

Town Administrator David Marciello declined to comment on the weapons issue or explain the town's policy relative to bringing weapons into public buildings.

However, both Morra and Pimental said the police chief later told them there is no Massachusetts law specifically prohibiting citizens from bringing weapons into a public meeting.

Pimental said Enos did tell her it might be possible for the town to adopt a bylaw or post a notice banning weapons, however.

Morra was the victim of a violent assault outside his East Providence business in 2008, when he reported being attacked by two men. A North Providence man was later sentenced to a year in jail for the assault.

Oh boy here we go!!

See the mindset. If your armed and speak out at a selectmen's meetings, you might use your gun like the wild wild west. Utterly ridiculous.

If a business or a institution establishes their location as a "Gun Free Zone" then they are essentially assuming the responsibility for your personal safety!

Funny one:

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the Selectmen Chairman, after discussing this with the Police Chief, would request that all people carrying firearms to leave is appalling.

Thanks to discretionary licensing and the presence of the Police Chief, the two people that left most likely felt compelled to comply in fear that their LTC would be revoked.

Last edited:
Quote by Chief Enos: "I think we need to get the word out to all public boards, to everyone in town," he said. "I think everybody has the right to be safe at the meetings. We're not going to tolerate any weapons coming in the door."

What a crock of sh!t!! I think every CCW license holder in Rehoboth should attend the next meeting and uphold their 2nd amendment rights!! Oh they might scare Mrs. Pimental

"Pimental said it's not true that she's involved in litigation against the town. She said, however, she is one of the plaintiffs suing Morra personally for defamation."

An untrained observer might believe that Ms. Pimental used her position to exercise a personal grudge against Mr. Morra. That same untrained observer could conclude that Ms. Pimental has used her authority to violate Mr. Morra's civil rights. I'm just saying...

Did the chief violate any laws by revealing that these people had LTC to the selectmen? Because you know thats what was discussed in the closed session and why when the selectman returned asked anyone carrying to leave. He knerw who was going to leave before even saying that.

What a bunch of pansies. Watch the windshield wipering ensue....

Worst part here is the police chief is complicit in this BS. If he was something other than a pansy he would have just told her "Sorry, but there's nothing in the law that you can use to legally exclude someone carrying a gun from a meeting here. Town Halls are not prohibited locations under MGL...."

-Mike

See the mindset. If your armed and speak out at a selectmen's meetings, you might use your gun like the wild wild west. Utterly ridiculous.

Not really, it's more Pimintal using this issue as a club to beat a political enemy with. There was just a major shake up per that article and I would imagine Pimintal lost some of his power base. I would lay odds it has absolutly nothing to do with guns - other than the issue makes a convienient tool for this arse to use against an enemy. That doesn't make it RIGHT and actually it makes it WORSE but I would lay odds Pimintal doesn't give a crap about guns either way.

Not really, it's more Pimintal using this issue as a club to beat a political enemy with. There was just a major shake up per that article and I would imagine Pimintal lost some of his power base. I would lay odds it has absolutly nothing to do with guns - other than the issue makes a convienient tool for this arse to use against an enemy. That doesn't make it RIGHT and actually it makes it WORSE but I would lay odds Pimintal doesn't give a crap about guns either way.

Exactly. It is political. Morra has been at the center of a political storm for several years. The recall election and the assault incident were pretty crazy (article). I believe during coverage of the incident his being a LTC was brought up somewhere so it is sort of common knowledge.

As a whole, the town is very gun friendly. Never heard of anyone having problems with licenses. Up until now I've only heard positive accounts about dealings with the chief in relation to firearms. I've been to town meetings when firearms issues were brought up and the town's people, including many in town government, came out to voice support of 2nd Amendment rights in force. I'm sure the same will happen when this issue go further.

Last edited:

Projection. They don't think they would be able to stop themselves from shooting someone the minute they got angry, therefore everyone will have the same problem and thus the logical (hah!) solution is to disarm everyone. Well, except for the criminals.

Exactly. It is political. Morra has been at the center of a political storm for several years. The recall election and the assault incident were pretty crazy (article). I believe during coverage of the incident his being a LTC was brought up somewhere so it is sort of common knowledge.

As a whole, the town is very gun friendly. Never heard of anyone having problems with licenses. Up until now I've only heard positive accounts about dealings with the chief in relation to firearms. I've been to town meetings when firearms issues were brought up and the town's people, including many in town government, came out to voice support of 2nd Amendment rights in force. I'm sure the same will happen when this issue go further.

If the quote from the chief are accurate, I wouldn't say he's very 2A friendly. The citizens of the town might be, but it's obvious from the article that a sizable portion of the town leaders are not.

Projection. They don't think they would be able to stop themselves from shooting someone the minute they got angry, therefore everyone will have the same problem and thus the logical (hah!) solution is to disarm everyone. Well, except for the criminals.
So very true.

If the quote from the chief are accurate, I wouldn't say he's very 2A friendly. The citizens of the town might be, but it's obvious from the article that a sizable portion of the town leaders are not.

I agree, it doesn't seem so. It is just not what I would have expected to hear based on past experiences. It will be interesting to see how it proceeds.

what a twat!

when will these people get it.....if your intent is to go into a room and shoot people, do they really think a town ordinance is going to stop someone????

This. It will probably make everyone "feel safer" so I guess it's worth it. [thinking] I know If I were going to go postal and shoot people at a town meeting that regulation would certainly make me reconsider. [rofl]

We need a moonbat emoticon.

This makes perfect sense to me. Firearms SHOULD be excluded from the town hall IMO, just as they are at my wife's place of employment. Even cops.

Of course, she's an RN on a locked psych ward....

Guess not all the "nuts" are locked up! [laugh]

On a practical matter, does the town in question have metal detectors and / or searches to enter? If not, do they really think that bad guys will be deterred by a policy? Of course not. But it shows that "something is being done." I'm sure it's a real shoot-em-up down there....[rolleyes]

Selectmen vote to exclude firearms from town hall

REHOBOTH - Concealed weapons are raising the discomfort level in town hall, from which selectmen specifically excluded firearms Monday night.

But such a declaration could be in conflict with state law that prohibits weapons only in schools, not other public buildings.

The issue arose after selectmen made three appointments to the finance committee, including former Selectman Christopher Morra and former school committee candidates Michael Deignan and Tracy Gaucher.

Incumbent committee members Andrea Pankratz and Elizabeth Doyle failed to gain reappointment and board member Jim Horton resigned.

At the meeting, finance committee Chairwoman Sue Pimental asked if members were allowed to carry weapons at meetings - and mentioned Morra by name as having a license to carry. The statement prompted a closed session between selectmen and Police Chief Stephen Enos, after which selectmen Chairman Ken Foley asked anyone carrying a weapon to leave.

Morra and another resident left the meeting room, but only Morra returned.

The former selectman, who said he left to talk with the chief, declined to say whether he carries a firearm but expressed outrage at Pimental.

"It's unprofessional for a public official to raise that issue," said Morra, who accused Pimental of being part of a group that is suing the town.

He said any attempt to prohibit citizens from carrying weapons would violate the Second Amendment.

Morra said he understands that Foley's request was based on an opinion from a lawyer. Pimental, who said she and Morra have had disagreements in the past, said she's concerned about members bringing weapons with them to meetings.

"It's kind of scary," Pimental said.

Pimental said it's not true that she's involved in litigation against the town. She said, however, she is one of the plaintiffs suing Morra personally for defamation.

Enos said at Monday's meeting he was concerned over outbursts at public meetings and wants to ensure that the public is safe.

"I think we need to get the word out to all public boards, to everyone in town," he said. "I think everybody has the right to be safe at the meetings. We're not going to tolerate any weapons coming in the door."

The chief could not be reached Wednesday.

Town Administrator David Marciello declined to comment on the weapons issue or explain the town's policy relative to bringing weapons into public buildings.

However, both Morra and Pimental said the police chief later told them there is no Massachusetts law specifically prohibiting citizens from bringing weapons into a public meeting.

Pimental said Enos did tell her it might be possible for the town to adopt a bylaw or post a notice banning weapons, however.

Morra was the victim of a violent assault outside his East Providence business in 2008, when he reported being attacked by two men. A North Providence man was later sentenced to a year in jail for the assault.

Oh boy here we go!!

Sounds like an Open Meeting Law Violation. Complain to the Bristol DA. I don't think that warranted Executive session and such things must be posted in ADVANCE.

Rehoboth police chief: 'Volatility' at meetings prompted weapon worries

REHOBOTH - Recent attempts to keep firearms and other weapons out of public forums follow a rising tide of emotions at town selectmen's meetings.

Police Chief Stephen Enos, who says he's requesting that citizens not bring weapons into public buildings, said the request follows a period of "volatility" at selectmen's meetings in which emotions have run high.

"We've had to remove a number of people from meetings over the last couple of months," Enos said, adding that he's concerned tempers could escalate.

Enos said he met with selectmen about the problem a month ago. The board has yet to enact a formal policy on weapons, but at Monday's selectmen's meeting Chairman Ken Foley asked anyone carrying a weapon to leave.

The exclusion applies to other weapons as well as guns. Currently, there is no state law banning the carrying of weapons into public meetings or buildings, other than schools, Enos said.

However, the chief said the town or board of selectmen could adopt a bylaw or policy banning weapons from public buildings.

He likened such a policy to the exclusion of weapons from state courthouses.

Regardless of what selectmen do, Enos said he is concerned about the safety of public meetings, and plans to renew his request that people refrain from bringing weapons.

Nationwide, he said, there have been too many examples of shootings and other incidents at public gatherings where tempers have become inflamed.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently affirmed the right of Americans to have handguns for self defense, rendering local ordinances such as Chicago's tough handgun ban unenforceable. However, the Chicago City Council recently approved a new ordinance restricting how handguns can be used.

First it will be a prohibition inside at the meetings, then it will be inside at anytime, then it will be on the grounds anytime, then it will be in the town anytime.

If the conduct of the town government is so controversial that people are worried about being shot, there needs to be a large change of officials.

welandedonthemoon.jpg

Rehoboth police chief: 'Volatility' at meetings prompted weapon worries

REHOBOTH - Recent attempts to keep firearms and other weapons out of public forums follow a rising tide of emotions at town selectmen's meetings.

>Snip<

Regardless of what selectmen do, Enos said he is concerned about the safety of public meetings, and plans to renew his request that people refrain from bringing weapons.

Nationwide, he said, there have been too many examples of shootings and other incidents at public gatherings where tempers have become inflamed.

>Snip<

Really? I saw some really angry people at town hall meetings a few months ago, but no shootings or incidents that I recall. There were some armed folks who attended events where Obama appeared, and once again, no shootings.

I wish Mr. Enos would elaborate.

Back
Top Bottom