Gun Club closure megathread

I don't are if this post gets pulled. f*** THEM. I'M A HARVARD MEMBER.

NO POLICE TRAININGTHERE EVER EVER EVER f***ING AGAIN. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

NEVER NEVER NEVER. f*** YOU!!!

/rant.
How hard you think it will be to get this passed? I never go to that meeting unless I’m sponsoring someone for membership. I will for this.

I believe Boxborough is the designated first responder (EMS, PD, etc) to HSC. And I can never remember exactly which town the front gate is in, but I think it may in fact be Boxborough (could be wrong, there are like 3-4 towns HSC touches). But while you could be incorrect about point #1 in the sense that the gate area might be Boxborough, you are 100% right that there's no PC or RAS to detain someone for this as far as I can imagine. And the club is private property...while we have plenty of LEO members and strong relationships with multiple PDs, they do not dictate whether the club is open or closed. We, the members, own it.

I sent a response to Dan that I could understand closing the indoor range and clubhouse, but I hope that outdoor ranges remain in use for all purposes including shooting. His email to members indicated that they would be asking local authorities to allow hiking/walking at the club even if the ranges are closed. That's not good enough for me. If it's safe to walk around, it's safe to shoot. Heck, let's say everyone stands X feet apart when sharing ranges. But going with whatever a random officer says without question is not what our club leadership should be doing.
The entrance is in Harvard.

How hard you think it will be to get this passed? I never go to that meeting unless I’m sponsoring someone for membership. I will for this.

They wont do it. It will piss off the surrounding PD and town offices. Then become a pissing match between the club and towns for years over the most petty things and they will probably try to shut down the club. All it takes is one neighbor to complain enough to cause change never mind a whole PD.

I'm for it. f*** em

There is onoy one thing that will restrict me. If Dan Hurley asks me not to. Or if I believe that my actions will get me bounced. I love this club.

As it is, we're going. We may not shoot. But we're going.

It is the safest place I know right now to be outside.

I'm not keeping my kids cooped up indoors. I'm not going to any of the massively crowded public spaces.

What are the limits of Private Security in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts...?

Re the question of how the cops got in, many are members.
LEO members (as individuals, not as Law Enforcement) would be fine IMO, but how many PD's use the ranges for Municipal Training...?

There is a triple point (where Harvard, Boxboro and Littleton touch) in the field off to the right as you drive into the club. I believe the club has land in all three towns with all or most of the ranges in Boxboro.

Use of any ranges (Harvard specifically) that did not voluntarily shut down should be off limits to police training going forward.
The last time this came up, which was several years ago, the decision at the Harvard club was to curtail the police outreach activity and to cap police department use of the ranges to those departments which were already participating.

The club doesn’t need the money. Nothing good can come from it. I agree it’s time to end it entirely.

Look on the bright side, discontinuing police use will reduce noise from the club. /sarcasm

As far as how the police officer got access to grounds, the club has cameras at front gate. He either swiped a membership card or ???? It would be easy for club officers to determine how access was gained

If the police officer was acting at direction of elected officials or a superior officer, he was just doing his job. If he was using personnel initiative, and is a member of the club, his membership should be revoked for poor treatment of other club members.

I would like to know FOR SURE what PD harrassed the member leaving and then went in.

We should light up their switchboard.
For certain it was Boxborough PD. I talked to the member 30 seconds after it happened. I have the officers name and email address too, but I am not releasing that. The officer was actually unhappy that he was doing what he was doing. He was TOLD to do it by people above him in his department.

If he was really unhappy, he could have voiced that up the chain.
Or, maybe he did...

I wonder what the net-effect would be on Police Departments if everyone called and asked:
"Hi, I'm a resident and my gun club was just shut down. Where are the alternative shooting areas in... (your town)?"

If the police officer was acting at direction of elected officials or a superior officer, he was just doing his job. If he was using personnel initiative, and is a member of the club, his membership should be revoked for poor treatment of other club members.

Just doing their jobs.

liberation-of-auschwitz-gettyimages-107409582.jpg

For certain it was Boxborough PD. I talked to the member 30 seconds after it happened. I have the officers name and email address too, but I am not releasing that. The officer was actually unhappy that he was doing what he was doing. He was TOLD to do it by people above him in his department.

Does anyone know if the club got served with some kind of paperwork that actually makes it official, and what legal grounds they cited for it, etc?

Last edited:
What are the limits of Private Security in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts...?
Surprisingly less regulated than many other states. I don't think MA has a security guard license, and there is no special type of LTC required of private armed security (as there is in some of the shall-issue states). The catch is the is almost no statutory immunity for their actions beyond the standard shopkeeper's privilege.

Does anyone know if the club got served with some kind of paperwork that actually makes it official, and what legal grounds they cited for
it, etc?
Per multiple board members spoken to, nothing. They learned about the BPD officer stopping a member and also going around inside the club telling people to leave. The email came out shortly after that

Back
Top Bottom