Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

I was one of the few that argued long enough to get a full refund once I realized that Glocks weren't approved for sale.
It is not possible for the buyer to commit an offense in buying a gun not on the list or AG reg compliant.

Selling a handgun not on the list is an offense if the seller holds a MA license to sell firearms. Buying it is not an offense.

Selling a handgun not AG compliant is an unfair and deceptive trade practice. The buyer is the victim in this transaction, not an offender.

glad to know that; i bought a cz 52 from "we are guns" in norton ma before he got busted. i was a little concerned for it may not have been ma compliant.
he got caught selling guns after his liscence expired among other things.

Last edited:
I welcome correction, or confirmation, of my comments from the Scriv - and I don't really care how he words it as long as he maintains his customary level of absolutely accuracy.

I welcome correction, or confirmation, of my comments from the Scriv - and I don't really care how he words it as long as he maintains his customary level of absolutely accuracy.

Rob has correctly stated the law.

Now, an exceedingly zealous AAG or ADA might try to hang a conspiracy charge if a non-compliant gun was ordered for and delivered to a customer, but I have never heard of that happening.

It is also theoretically possible that any or all such non-compliant guns allegedly sold by the dealer could be seized from the buyers as evidence of the dealer's crime, but I have never heard of that happening, even in the celebrated Norton case.

Rob It is also theoretically possible that any or all such non-compliant guns allegedly sold by the dealer could be seized from the buyers as evidence of the dealer's crime, but I have never heard of that happening, even in the celebrated Norton case.

In such a theoretical case, would the buyer ever get his gun back after any trial was over?

I wonder if it is even possible.... I'd bet that somehow it probably
is, but the legal fees would more than likely exceed the cost of simply buying
another gun of the same kind by orders of magnitude.

-Mike

Ah, yes, the Gun Room. Right down the road from me. I admit I shop there often, have bought lots of ammo and guns there, usually the odd stuff like 9x18 and .303 Brit, that most gun shops roll their eyes at when you inquire about it. For example, the fellow at AG in Lowell (who has since died, IIRC) told me not to buy .303, since it was a "dead round"...

The Gun Room was a lot of fun to shop at when Phil worked there- his enthusiasm is infectious and he treats newbies well. (such as I was) The help since then has been spotty at best. Rene (Reeny? Rennie? How do you say that name?) is helpful, however. They have another new guy who seems personable enough.

John is an interesting case, that's all I can say. His stories are also interesting in their, ummm, glorious inventiveness...if you know what I mean. But he treats me OK. I research what I want, then go and compare prices, etc. If I don't like, I don't buy. He hasn't sold me a lemon yet. He's also a lot nicer to customers than he used to be. Maybe the court cases put the fear of God into him?

I've been shopping there for ten years, and they don't cop an attitude when I go in, unlike the way the Village Gun Shop and Bay State Arms used to. They were truly awful experiences for a new customer. You'd walk into those places, and the grumpy close-clustered crowd at the counters would turn around, look at you, scowl, and then turn back around and ignore you. Really good way to run a business....[rolleyes]

Come to think of it, most gun shops I have been to do not make you feel welcome when you go in. Mostly they are populated by dour older men who don't seem interested in you at all. I assume all are bullshitting me when I ask them a question. Many people I have spoken with share that opinion. Why should anybody regard John any differently from the rest of the gun shop owners we encounter? He's just more colorful, that's all.

Gunroom[Goonroom]

Myself, among others, use to frequent that place when Phil and John “The Murph” Murphy worked there. It was a non-stop laugh riot in the ways they would joke and dump on O’leary [O’delirious ]. Murphy could do great imitations in his buffoonish manner.
Last time I was in there was some old fart, pompous lard ass lurking in the corner: a retired ex-cop military type collector. He's some form of a geriatric hippie on a motorcycle claiming to be a Vietnam Vet. and super patriot with an extensive military service: by the look of that fat gut the only service he was in was most likely the food service.
Him and another one are in there all day just about every day. They have become eyesores; underfoot hang arounds with no a life and no place to go except to listen to O’leary's epic adventures. After the James Bond week television retrospective history was again re-written, time and space transcended. O’leary is a pathological liar; he was never in the service and is a disgrace to anyone one that was.

[rofl] [laugh2] [rolleyes] [crying] [laugh]

Last edited:
"The Murph"......what a great guy. Had dinner with him last weekend. A total character. Has not lost his sense of humor. I think he works over there on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Say hi to him when you see the ol' lad. Have him break out his smoking pipe and imitate the English gentry, as he does so well. We all miss Phil a lot too. Great guy.

"Murph" and the rest

I'ts odd that Murph would come back to the Goonroom. O'leary was quite demeaning and fired, or rode him out, a couple of times. I have not been in much since him and Phil left. The place seems to be taken over by two old fenceposts whom have become fixtures. Get a kick out of the portly one with the large moustache and the motorcycle; he really thinks the Country would be for the worse without him. He was most likely a "hot shit" in his times but as of now he is just another tired, used up old man sitting around the carcker barrel longing for the good ole' days. The other sourpuss constantly leans in the doorway; it is a perpetual state of "excuse me" to get to the back room where the cowboy stuff is.
If anything happened to the Gunroom the only place left for those two would be the park bench nipping on some cheap red port and feeding pigeons . [rolleyes] [frown] [sad] [angry] [sad2] [hmmm]

Last edited:
When we found out that Mr. Murph was back the surprise was quite significant and welcomed at the same time. He works weekends in addition to Tuesday and Thursday mornings. O'Leary should be extremely happy to have him. Excellent worker.

Goonroom

I don't think "Murph" will last once he again becomes a whipping boy.
If Phil also came back on the original team I would consider shopping there again; but that is not
going to happen since O'Looney had also fired him.
Ron is the only one of the previous group that I still have contact with; he is the most knowledgable of the bunch and , most likey, the reason that place is still in buisness.[crying] [angry] [frown] [sad2]

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun with Ron too. Great guy. Just spoke with Mr. Murph a short spell ago. He's doing well. The big thing he loves working in the firearms world and will put up with a lot of guff. He surely is a very dedicated guy. Phil's doing great over at Dowd's. We should all do a get together shoot over at Harvard some weekend afternoon and then hit the 99 for a feed bag.

I know most people have had semi-bad - bad experiences, but I was in there today just browsing. Everyone seemed pleasant and answered all questions I had.

One of the guys told me something that seemed contradictory. He said that it is unlawful to store a firearm locked in one's trunk, unloaded or not for any reason other than while transporting it.

Harvard

I have a lot of fun with Ron too. Great guy. Just spoke with Mr. Murph a short spell ago. He's doing well. The big thing he loves working in the firearms world and will put up with a lot of guff. He surely is a very dedicated guy. Phil's doing great over at Dowd's. We should all do a get together shoot over at Harvard some weekend afternoon and then hit the 99 for a feed bag.
Sounds like a plan; I have never been to The Harvard Sportsmans Club

I'm glad that their reputation is still intact! [rolleyes]

That they haven't given up showing their <lack of> legal expertise! [thinking]

They do spin some of the best BS when it comes to espousing "legal advice" however! [rolleyes] [laugh2] [rofl]

Truer words have never been spoken, Len. Yes, their legal expertise is without approach (nart). I had a few sessions with the lads up there over time telling them the act of engaging in giving legal advice without a license to do so is illegal and the MBA takes a very dim view of such acts. Some of the things I would hear go way past the border of ridiculousness. Anyway, Mr. Ring: anytime you would like to come over to Harvard to pop a few rounds off, let me know. We'd be very please to have you as our guest. Same with anyone else. I'm usually up there on weekend afternoons, after tending to Mr. Horse (my Belgian-OKA The Inspector General or Lord Babbington).

Goonroom

I'm glad that their reputation is still intact! [rolleyes]

That they haven't given up showing their <lack of> legal expertise! [thinking]

They do spin some of the best BS when it comes to espousing "legal advice" however! [rolleyes] [laugh2] [rofl]
If you hangout there enough the free education will qualify you for a PHD in Bullshit.
I can't stand the place eithier; besides the annoying staff and hangarounds it is also dirty, disorgainized and the guns are blantantly overpriced. Have not been there in ages: by the negative posts at least it is consistent[rofl] [laugh2] [rolleyes] [laugh]

Last edited:
I recently switched jobs and now work in Shrewsbury. So a month or so ago I decided to stop in and check this place out. I couldn't agree more with the comments here. What a bad experience. I asked a few questions and the response I received was that of I was wasting such valuable time for the employees. The place is a total dump and the customer service is nonexisting. I'm glad i'm not the only one that will never buy anything from these guys.

Goon Room

Hi; just curious; what is your tatoo an image of and what was his reaction or interpretation. he is such a being expert.[crying]

And based upon the markets' experiences of the recent few weeks, today being no exception, I'm sure you'll receive advice as good or better than that you'd get from some of those six and seven figure salaried money managers.

Back
Top Bottom