Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

If the gun is on the list but not "AG Compliant" you have not been "involved in an illegal gun transaction", but have been "the victim of an unfair and deceptive trade practice" - read the CMR. :)

Now, I don't konw about what you guys are saying. And I'm not saying that it's not true as I can see how they are a little skittish in there.

But I went in with a buddy after the State Cowboy shoot in there at Harvard. He knows the owner really well. So that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, we walked in and went behind the counter to another room that's just FILLED with cowboy and black power gear, guns, and accessories. And the inventory was MASSIVE. Both on the floor and in the back room.

Anyway, we were talking with the owner and he was really nice. Very helpful, and had some great stories. I kinda liked him.

Now, this was the only time that I was even in there. And I was in with a friend of the owner, so that might make a difference.

But he was letting us go behind the counters, and look at whatever we wanted. I had a pretty good time in there.

But like I said, I didn't have a bad expericene.

I recently picked up a 98%+ 1st gen Colt Woodsman at Shrewsbury. A nice, honest gun that had never even been cleaned!? This gun had never been screwed with by anybody. It is lovely and the price was very competitive with what I have seen in person and on the net. All in all this was a decent, reasonably well-stocked store. The used stock on the floor seemed to be reasonably priced. Personnel didn't seem rude. I'd go back.

C-pher, that is actually another room, which isn't what most people would think of as "behind the counter".

That said, I think they have a better selection than any of the grocery stores or Walmarts in the area. In other words, they are pretty much the only game in town in the Worcester area.

There used to be a lot of "kitchen table" dealers around, but I think that has all changed. There used to be the one in Westborough, but that is out of business. The Outdoorsman which used to be NeverFail in West Boylston is now gone.

I don't know about West Boylston Walmart, but the Oxford Walmart no longer sells guns. No Walmart I know of at all sells handguns.

That leaves one place in Cherry Valley which seems to be a mostly bow hunting place, and Sparky's in Webster.

I've heard good things about Sparky's, but it is still about a half hour drive.

I've been to and purchased at 4 Seasons, and also been to AG, but those are both a LONG HAUL from Worcester.

So, what's involved in opening a gun shop?

(-:

Edit: Oh, and though the staff seem a little odd at first, I tend to just think of them as grumpy old men, and take it at that. Treat them as you would an ornery uncle, and it isn't bad.

Coyote33 said:
I've been to and purchased at 4 Seasons, and also been to AG, but those are both a LONG HAUL from Worcester.

Coyote, first off, welcome!

Second, there are couple of gun stores at the end of I290 - Callaghan's in Marlboro and K&R Target Sports in Hudson. K&R has more in the way of modern arms, but Callaghans has more ammo and more blackpowder firearms. Both are worth the trip, and both are run by the owners... who are very friendly.

K&R has both new and used handguns as well as long arms. Callaghans has some used handguns but I don't think that Richie Callaghan orders any new ones any more. Ray at K&R definitely does order new ones.

Oops... almost forgot Tite Group Sporting in Northboro! Also run by the owner, and a good place to go. Small, but he will order whatever you want. I've bought guns from K&R and Callaghans but not Tite Group. Other folks on the board report good experiences there, though.

Third... first, you gotta get an FFL. Second, you need a bunch of money. Third, you need a GOOD lawyer! Fourth, you gotta find a town that will let you open up a gun store! Fifth... let me know when you do it. I'm starting to think that maybe it's a good time to start a new career!

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Coyote33 said:

Coyote, first off, welcome!

Second, there are couple of gun stores at the end of I290 - Callaghan's in Marlboro and K&R Target Sports in Hudson. K&R has more in the way of modern arms, but Callaghans has more ammo and more blackpowder firearms. Both are worth the trip, and both are run by the owners... who are very friendly.

K&R has both new and used handguns as well as long arms. Callaghans has some used handguns but I don't think that Richie Callaghan orders any new ones any more. Ray at K&R definitely does order new ones.

Oops... almost forgot Tite Group Sporting in Northboro! Also run by the owner, and a good place to go. Small, but he will order whatever you want. I've bought guns from K&R and Callaghans but not Tite Group. Other folks on the board report good experiences there, though.

Third... first, you gotta get an FFL. Second, you need a bunch of money. Third, you need a GOOD lawyer! Fourth, you gotta find a town that will let you open up a gun store! Fifth... let me know when you do it. I'm starting to think that maybe it's a good time to start a new career!

Ross

Man, I'm with you. If I had some money, I'd pool it in with you to open a shop.

Gun Room Shrewsbery?

I visited the place once or twice. The guy in charge was weird looking persson with turned up mustashe, cigar and cowboy hat. He pretended to know everything aboout everything and generally was full of it. He does have large inventory and "some" good deals (which I think cause by his oversight).
I bought a nice Ruger Gold lable side-by-side, but all of his handguns were overpriced.
Any regular shoppers comments?

"Weird, full-of-it, and over-priced"

Yup, that's about the size of it. Good place to go just to look around, but there are much better prices elsewhere when it's time to buy. Do a search and see some other comments on this forum.

Ken

I stopped in today on my way back from a customer. I was in there for 15 minutes and not one person there greeted me or asked if I needed anything. I was right in front of a woker/owner looking in the case and not even a "hello". Prices were high, obviously they were to busy chit chatting the sewing circle to acknowledge me.

I'll never step foot in their again.

Moderator said:
I stopped in today on my way back from a customer. I was in there for 15 minutes and not one person there greeted me or asked if I needed anything. I was right in front of a woker/owner looking in the case and not even a "hello". Prices were high, obviously they were to busy chit chatting the sewing circle to acknowledge me.

I'll never step foot in their again.

Consider yourself lucky. When they start spewing their mis-information on the laws, their "predictions" of new laws, etc. you will wish they just shut up and ignored you!

LenS said:
Consider yourself lucky. When they start spewing their mis-information on the laws, their "predictions" of new laws, etc. you will wish they just shut up and ignored you!

Yes, John's wealth of misinformation is exceeded only by the tenacity with which he clings to it and the volume which he delivers of it.

NOTE: Staff at this store also told me that a very high-end pistol manufacturer really ought to make entry-grade .22 rifles. Yeah, real market filling the aching void left by Ruger, Mossberg, Savage and Marlin............. [rolleyes]

Well, I've gotten the "you can't touch any guns" line at Four Seasons as well. I ran across this place today by accident and stopped in. Not a bad selection, but a little overpriced.

Well, I've gotten the "you can't touch any guns" line at Four Seasons as well.
From what I understand, you don't have an LTC yet. That's the policy at most gun stores in MA. They are under so much grief from the state that they take no chances.

From what I understand, you don't have an LTC yet. That's the policy at most gun stores in MA. They are under so much grief from the state that they take no chances.

Correct, That was the policy at the store I worked at also. No firearms permit, no touching.

gun room shrewsbury ma screw job prices

just bought 2 guns : seecamp 32 cal from four seasons; like nib; $430
the gun room wanted $700
Walther s&w ppk blue; like nib with trigger job; $380
gun roon; $535 no trigger job
glocks at the gun room start at $ 600 reburbisned
four seasons prices start at$400
this gunroom a**h*** is just looking for suckers who don't know to much to screw. i don't know how he stays in open with a snotty attitude to boot.
all fsguns function fine and they back them.
yankee artifacts [pete dowd] has great prices also[crying]

Last edited:
ok.
how about that wannabee [more like a never was ] rambo idiot you used to work there.
he came in carrying a gym bag from which he dresses up for work in full camo. with 2 guns: one in a shoulder holster, one in a small of the back holster, six hi cap mags, a bullet proof vest, a neck knife plus various skull rings, for which he claimed represented the men he killed, topped off with some sort of military cap. then he takes it all off when the work day is done.
today he is most likley to be found hiding under a bridge.
the theme song from the twilight zone would represent him at the best.
he threatened a few patrons and was subject to irrational outbursts of rage. people used to look in the window first before entering.[laugh2][rofl] [crying] [laugh] [rolleyes] [shocked]

Last edited:
I'll bite - what is a "Wlther s&w ppk blue?"

Yankee has those "great prices" because he gets his inventory virtually free - it consists in large part of guns the bonded warehouse part of the business picks up from police departments. By the time the owners get their licenses back, or even just make arrangements to transfer them to a licensed relative, the "processing" and storage fees exceed the value of the guns.

OH - Yankee then exacerbates that injury by delaying pickup. He told a client of mine he'd have to make an appointment a week away for the transfer - while charging for the week Yankee delayed him.

the "processing" and storage fees exceed the value of the guns.

OH - Yankee then exacerbates that injury by delaying pickup. He told a client of mine he'd have to make an appointment a week away for the transfer - while charging for the week Yankee delayed him.

sounds like 'legal' theft to me [thinking]

just bought 2 guns : seecamp 32 cal from four seasons; like nib; $430
the gun room wanted $700
Wlther s&w ppk blue; like nib with trigger job; $380
gun roon; $535 no trigger job
glocks at the gun room start at $ 600 reburbisned
four seasons prices start at$400
this gunroom a**h*** is just looking for suckers who don't know to much to screw. i don't know how he stays in open with a snotty attitude to boot.
all fsguns function fine and they back them.
yankee artifacts [pete dowd] has great prices also[crying]

Although that guy John is a jerk, I have purchased some decently priced rifles from him:

SAR2 NIB- $400
SAR3 NIB- $400
PTR-91 NIB- $800

I went there recently and he was asking $12.00 per 20 round box of Wolf 7.62x39!

He also has a SAR1 (AK47) which appears un-fired for $299.00. That is a very reasonable price. I was tempted but passed on it.

But then he has a Beretta 21a used for $330.00. I just bought a NIB 21a from Bron Classic for $200.00!

ok.
how about that wannabee rambo idiot you used to work there.
he came in carrying a gym bag from which he dresses up for work in full camo. with 2 guns: one in a shoulder holster, one in a small of the back holster, six hi cap mags, a bullet proof vest and a neck knife. topped off with some sort of military cap. then he takes it all off when the work day is done.
today he is most likley to be found hiding under a bridge.
he threated a few patrons. people used to look in the window first before entering.[laugh2]

For what it is worth ..he is ex-US ARMY Ranger....
He is a nice guy( well always was to me)
And to be honest...have you looked around..there is alot of weird looking people around![grin]

ex army ranger failure

If he was so gung-ho why is that he is still not in the military? vets. of status usally become leaders, working as a Blackwater contracter in iraq making $200,000 or more a year not some $9.00 hr. flunky help for O'leary. he had to comute from Bedford ma. every day [40 miles each way] to work; that is a signal he did something wrong [ blackballed, unemployable] in his own area.
rumor is that he was asked to leave the military. Once almost shut the place down by brandishing a weapon at a customer he thought to be acting odd. he is lucky that man did not go to the police.
One of the main problems with the gunroom is that nobody of brains or knowledge will work for o'leary; he is very abusive to his staff. [rofl][[rolleyes] [laugh2] [crying] [rofl2] [rolleyes]

Last edited:
A Walther PPK is just that; a WALTHER. What does S&W have to do with it?

Actually, for a while S&W was licensed to make Walther PPKs. Of course, the German made Walther PPKs are awesome, while the S&W PPKs are said to be crap. I'm pretty sure it was S&W, because the also make the knockoff P99 (they call it the S&W 99). So in fact, he meant he got a S&W version of the Walther PPK.

Actually, for a while S&W was licensed to make Walther PPKs. Of course, the German made Walther PPKs are awesome, while the S&W PPKs are said to be crap. I'm pretty sure it was S&W, because the also make the knockoff P99 (they call it the S&W 99). So in fact, he meant he got a S&W version of the Walther PPK.

News to me. I figured he was thoroughly confused and meant he got one of the hybrid 99's.

S&W did make PPKs for a few years. I have found the quality of German PPK/Ss to be crap to begin with, so I don't think S&W could really make it any worse.

Back
Top Bottom