Gun show disarming Gunowners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lowest common denominator.

Think about the number of threads/posts that show up here about poor handling - swept at the range, LGS, etc. Then remember that a lot of new gun owners, that do not have proper handling practices hard-wired into their brains, are at the gun shows.

Is it sad that it's a "good idea"? Yes. But, I understand the reason for it, from the show's point of view. Remember, is a crowded venue like a show, there is no "safe direction", except up.....

Concealed means concealed.

Keep your fat mouth shut and no one would know anyway.

Way too much sharing now a days.

When asked, I say "nope" and keep on walking. Screw them.

Kevin, You are from a NORMAL state....We expect anything in MA....[grin]........Also, this has been the practice (at least here) for a long time.

Not permitting loaded firearms on the floor of a gun show is normal practice. Taking names and magazines is not normal.

- - - Updated - - -

As I say every time when this comes up, concealed means concealed. What they don't know will not hurt them.....

THIS ^

Only carry a loaded magazine? So much failed here. Even if I answered the question truthfully and I'm required to unload my CC, I still pocketed a few extra loaded magazines.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

I was wondering if the guys who are afraid to go into a gunshow that hasn't been disarmed could take the time to explain to the rest of us how Moms Demanding Action feel about going into Starbucks.

I mean it must be the same emotion:

"You don't trust those whacko/irresponsible gun people to be carrying around you"

sheesh

Don't get me wrong: I get irritated being swept (or more) at a range, but I still go.

Sorry to all who want to carry but i wont go to a gunshow if people are carrying.
too many idiots in one place to know which guns are chambered and which arent.
people like to pull out their carry gun as part of a conversation or to show people something, which i find damn insulting....keep your dick and gun in your pants. I dont want to see it.
i agree w their policy to check your carry gun.

Agreed.
however, i will be damned if ive narrowly escaped doom half dozen times to then get dropped by some dufus's ND because he wanted to show his gun-show-buddy his new .45. No thanks i would rather be eaten by an alligator.

Thats why i frisk everyone, regardless of any door.
[smile]

[rolleyes][thinking]

I will tell you that Martin used to carry in a shoulder holster openly at the shows in MA back in the 1998-early 2000s. Vendors did too . . . Tadco (Burlington) worked with his SO who was a rather attractive young lady that openly carried in a shoulder holster as well at the shows. I honestly don't remember if they allowed patrons to carry, as I was always working it as a vendor.

Lowest common denominator.

Think about the number of threads/posts that show up here about poor handling - swept at the range, LGS, etc. Then remember that a lot of new gun owners, that do not have proper handling practices hard-wired into their brains, are at the gun shows.

Is it sad that it's a "good idea"? Yes. But, I understand the reason for it, from the show's point of view. Remember, is a crowded venue like a show, there is no "safe direction", except up.....

Yes, I understand as well. It's due to gross stupidity by a few attendees and if one uses their Google skills they will find that there were some "shootings" at shows in other parts of the US that they claimed some antis snuck ammo in and put it in various guns on dealers tables with the hopes that injured people would close down all the gun shows.

I've told this story here a few times. . .

I was working the Foxboro show and met up with a good friend (retired Boston PD Detective) and his Son. We're standing in an aisle when I see some clown ~100' away take a rifle from a rack and sight it on US! We moved a few feet and he tracked us. Just then I saw the PO on duty (a gun guy that I had met and talked with previously) and call him over. I pointed out the clown to him and told him to go tell that guy that the next time he puts that scope on me, he'll see a LOADED GUN pointed at him thru his scope! The PO handled that situation. But this is a good part of the reason for those policies.

For those with enough active brain cells to keep their gun holstered at all times at the shows, I have no heartache in letting them CCW. However, if you were a show promoter, how do you separate the yahoos from the responsible people at the door?? Give that some thought from the promoters point of view.

I've never been to a show that allowed loaded firearms in the show itself. (With occasional exceptions for vendors) the reason for that being that there are a lot of idiots out there carrying guns who can't seem to resist the urge to yank them out and wave them around when they're surrounded by other gun people.

Are there really that many idiots who do so, or have you been brainwashed by progressive media?

I ask this because I've been to plenty of gun shows over the years and actually watched for this (like anybody should). While I won't say it's never happened, I've never seen "a lot" of people practicing unsafe gun handling practices at a gun show.

The media and gun grabbers would say otherwise, but gun owners in general are pretty safe. The statistics bear this out.

I have the best policy towards the whole carry/no carry at gun shows. I don't go to them. They are overpriced wastes of time. If I wanted to get ripped off that much on ammo/accessories prices, I would just drive down to MA or CT and pay their sales tax. The only thing a gun show is good for, is hanging out with friends (and I usually don't pay $12-25 to do that,) meeting local vendors/shop owners and finding out who the dumbasses are so you can avoid them, and hearing the people there talk about how they carry a full-auto converted titanium Glock 58 special forces model that he got overseas doing black ops us civvies will never know about.

I will tell you that Martin used to carry in a shoulder holster openly at the shows in MA back in the 1998-early 2000s. Vendors did too . . . Tadco (Burlington) worked with his SO who was a rather attractive young lady that openly carried in a shoulder holster as well at the shows. I honestly don't remember if they allowed patrons to carry, as I was always working it as a vendor.

Yes, I understand as well. It's due to gross stupidity by a few attendees and if one uses their Google skills they will find that there were some "shootings" at shows in other parts of the US that they claimed some antis snuck ammo in and put it in various guns on dealers tables with the hopes that injured people would close down all the gun shows.

I've told this story here a few times. . .

I was working the Foxboro show and met up with a good friend (retired Boston PD Detective) and his Son. We're standing in an aisle when I see some clown ~100' away take a rifle from a rack and sight it on US! We moved a few feet and he tracked us. Just then I saw the PO on duty (a gun guy that I had met and talked with previously) and call him over. I pointed out the clown to him and told him to go tell that guy that the next time he puts that scope on me, he'll see a LOADED GUN pointed at him thru his scope! The PO handled that situation. But this is a good part of the reason for those policies.

For those with enough active brain cells to keep their gun holstered at all times at the shows, I have no heartache in letting them CCW. However, if you were a show promoter, how do you separate the yahoos from the responsible people at the door?? Give that some thought from the promoters point of view.

Len, is there any legal obligation to answer police honestly when asked in this setting. If you say no and they find out you are what can they do ?

When I was at the Shriners the Leo at the door was just randomly asking people as they walked by. Asked just me out of my group of 4 if I was carrying.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

Being LEO deep inside you know the answer. I can remember when I was a kid my dad took me to a gun show in NH every year when we went camping. It was held in a school. They always had a "no loaded weapons" sign and a unloading section down a side hall.
Again as Leo the big picture especially in mass is to disarm US. Not you personally but the system. The current governmental leaders do not give a rats ass about constitutional rights.
Now as a Leo how often up to now have you stopped, interfered or filed a complaint on a fellow officer for violating the constitution.
See now you know how a lot of people feel when we get pulled over and are treated with the "suspect" treatment.

if you were a show promoter, how do you separate the yahoos from the responsible people at the door?? Give that some thought from the promoters point of view.

How would a Starbucks manager weed out the yahoos from the responsible people? How does a range operator weed out the yahoos from the responsible people?

Why not ask the question from a Texas Perspective rather than the Mass Perspective: SHOULD a show promoter/Starbucks Manager/Range Operator pre-emptively disarm all their customers over liability concerns?

The thinking that off duty leo'S are more trained and can never have a n.d.
So are exempt from a safety rule , now I think is wrong.

the no loaded carry guns in the clubhouse to be unholstered rule at my club doesn't exempt anyone
"special".

At the concord NH show they just ask that you're unloaded, but you keep your mags/ ammo. MA has been unload/ ziptie the action/ leave mags with entrance guy for as long as I remember. (been going to shows since the 80's)

Sorry to all who want to carry but i wont go to a gunshow if people are carrying.
too many idiots in one place to know which guns are chambered and which arent.
people like to pull out their carry gun as part of a conversation or to show people something, which i find damn insulting....keep your dick and gun in your pants. I dont want to see it.
i agree w their policy to check your carry gun.

So you ,and everyone who agrees with this practice, are basically giving anti-gunners more ammo against us.....when WE the gun owners turn on our own, and call them IDIOTS and don't feel safe around them, then how the HELL do you expect anti-gunners and those new to firearms feel??? THINK ABOUT THAT.....Oh and taking my Mag....NO WAY!!! My property sorry, I'd walk out and get a refund. I have been to shows where they have you unload and zip tie the gun, but you keep your mag, I am ok with that...What happens if some maniac starts blasting away because we have essentially created a "gun (ammo) Free" zone??? You have hundreds of people armed, but disarmed at the same time with no way to fight back...Yeah THAT'S brilliant...

Last edited:
So you ,and everyone who agrees with this practice, are basically giving anti-gunners more ammo against us.....when WE the gun owners turn on our own, and call them IDIOTS and don't feel safe around them, then how the HELL do you expect anti-gunners and those new to firearms feel??? THINK ABOUT THAT.....Oh and taking my Mag....NO WAY!!! My property sorry, I'd walk out and get a refund. I have been to shows where they have you unload and zip tie the gun, but you keep your mag, I am ok with that...What happens if some maniac starts blasting away because we have essentially created a "gun (ammo) Free" zone??? You have hundreds of people armed, but disarmed at the same time with no way to fight back...Yeah THAT'S brilliant...
Yeah, that scene described won't give the antis any traction.[thinking]

+1......I do have to agree with the first half of this. I believe everybody should take a gun safety course before actually owning a gun. I would be lying if I said I didn't look around when I go shooting for stupid people doing stupid stuff but at the same time I look around crossing a parking lot for stupid people doing stupid stuff to .should tell people keep the guns concealed at all times during the show if loaded.

Jeez, if I shouldn't be allowed to carry at a gun show, why the heck should I be allowed to carry in public with the children? [rolleyes].

With a few exceptions, this thread must make Bloomturd and his friends smile. I mean if it's "reasonable" to disarm me at at freaking gun show, why should I be allowed to carry at the mall? At a park? At a restaurant? I mean, I might be one of those "irresponsible" gun carrying people. We can't be sure which one is, so none should carry.

Any gun that can be handled,sold,traded, at a show,
should be checked and unloaded at the door.

One argument against "Gun Free Zones" is that perimeter security (all possible entrances) has to be good enough to prevent ANYONE from having a gun, or that there needs to be enough armed security present to deter and respond to threats.

Simple verbal questioning at gun shows is clearly ineffective.

One LEO at the door is only a token gesture - the gun show is not made a secure zone by that minimal LEO presence.

The only reason a gun show is NOT a Gun Free Zone is that a lot of people CCW there.

I was there at 12:30, saw the table packed with people unloading and the cop sitting on the right. No one asked me if I was carrying, I didn't volunteer any information, I dropped my ticket in the container and just walked right in.

Why is a police officer sworn to uphold the constitution asking people if they are carrying a weapon in a place they otherwise lawfully can possess them in? Please someone humor me...
Because the people running a private show have asked for enforcement of their property rights, in the bundle of which the show operators have retained the right to exclude. You could have turned around and gotten your money back.

I'm not saying I think it's correct or just the show organizers have this policy, but your option is to turn around, get your money back and leave if you don't like it.
As I say every time when this comes up, concealed means concealed. What they don't know will not hurt them.....

Or you could do this.

I don't think guns should be checked, but I also thing people should not be drawing there loaded ccw at a show just to show them off

Jeez, if I shouldn't be allowed to carry at a gun show, why the heck should I be allowed to carry in public with the children? [rolleyes].

With a few exceptions, this thread must make Bloomturd and his friends smile. I mean if it's "reasonable" to disarm me at at freaking gun show, why should I be allowed to carry at the mall? At a park? At a restaurant? I mean, I might be one of those "irresponsible" gun carrying people. We can't be sure which one is, so none should carry.

Exactly. I've been sitting here thinking about all the peeps who thought that participating in a gun buy back gave the antis PR ammo, and how they feel about gun show operators who are actually organizing and running gigantic advertising campaigns for the reasonableness of gun free zones.

Being LEO deep inside you know the answer. I can remember when I was a kid my dad took me to a gun show in NH every year when we went camping. It was held in a school. They always had a "no loaded weapons" sign and a unloading section down a side hall.
Again as Leo the big picture especially in mass is to disarm US. Not you personally but the system. The current governmental leaders do not give a rats ass about constitutional rights.
Now as a Leo how often up to now have you stopped, interfered or filed a complaint on a fellow officer for violating the constitution.
See now you know how a lot of people feel when we get pulled over and are treated with the "suspect" treatment.
Okay, I need to stop the madness.

I can tell you, knowing personally the cops working there yesterday, that they don't personally give a shit whether you're carrying or not. But the show organizers have asked for valid enforcement of their rights to control who and under what conditions persons enter their show. That, whether or not that condition was related to guns, was the concern.

I know some of you only think property rights are valid only when it's your own property rights being enforced, but asserting that the who public accommodation/Title II of the '64 CRA should apply to gun owners is just as much of an affront to liberty as it is when a business owner can't exclude whomever he wants for whatever reason, no matter how misguided or malicious.

The gun show was run by a private company on private property. Don't like it? Don't go to the show.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom