Gun Storage at a Range

I'm hoping to get my LTC early next year but there is one 'minor' issue that will be blocking me from acquiring a Firearm right after that. I currently live pretty much year round on a University Campus, making storage impossible there, and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my parents to let me store a gun in their home.

Do most ranges/clubs let you store firearms on site? I'm assuming most do with lockers or something like that. Also, would it be reasonable to assume I might be able to do cleaning and maintenance on site until I did have a preferment residence that was firearm friendly?

Thanks for the input!

A commercial range, American Firearms School in North Attleboro, has lockers like you've described. Downside is this is a much more expensive place to join and shoot at than a private gun club would be.

I was at AFS last weekend shooting for my first and only time so far, they're one of the places I've been considering joining. Does it cost extra for the lockers? How big are they? And what about gun cleaning/maintenance?

I was at AFS last weekend shooting for my first and only time so far, they're one of the places I've been considering joining. Does it cost extra for the lockers? How big are they? And what about gun cleaning/maintenance?

You really should call AFS to get a quote on current prices. [smile] They do have a place where you can clean your guns, but you'll need to provide your own cleaning gear.

Last edited:
You really should call AFT to get a quote on current prices. [smile] They do have a place where you can clean your guns, but you'll need to provide your own cleaning gear.

Next time I have a chance, or go by there I'll see about prices then. I can provide my own cleaning gear, I think it would be rather shameful not to own some while owning a firearm [smile]. As long as I can get by for another year to a year and a half to finish up school then thats great, been waiting long enough to own as it is.

Thanks Cross-X

Downside is this is a much more expensive place to join and shoot at than a private gun club would be.

The $225/year is not that much more than many private clubs. The new management is pretty customer friendly. I don't know the locker pricing - you might want to talk to their manager (Matt Mederios) and see if you could buy a gun from them, but have them keep it at the facility for you if there are no lockers available. I'm not sure if that's practical for them to do, but you won't get in trouble for asking. Be sure to talk to Matt though - he's the one who can make decisions.

Positives:

- No pressure to do volunteer work
- Your role is "customer"
- FFL dealer on-site
- Professionally managed and maintained

Negatives:

- You don't get your own key to the range for 24x7 access (many clubs offer this)
- Clientele is not as well known to each other as at a private club
- It's not "your" in the sense that a membership club is the "member's" club

Rob,

While some gun clubs may charge that much for annual dues, no gun club I know charges an hourly rate to use the club. If you get bit by the shooting bug, paying a ton of commercial range fees can really be a big pain in the wallet.

The $225 at AFS includes unlimited range time (except when the range is reserved), and I think it also includes some discounts in the AFS store.

before you make any commitments regarding a range membership, make sure the local CLEO will still issue you a license. I know several people who have been refused licenses because they were students living on campus, regardless of the firearms storage aspect.

Rob,

While some gun clubs may charge that much for annual dues, no gun club I know charges an hourly rate to use the club. If you get bit by the shooting bug, paying a ton of commercial range fees can really be a big pain in the wallet.
The current pricing includes unlimited range time, though I think there is a limit of an hour or so when others are waiting. When AFS first opened up under different management, the pricing structure was considerably different and they may have had an hourly fee at that time.

There are also more limits on guests (you get three guest passes with an annual membership) than you generally have at a private club.

before you make any commitments regarding a range membership, make sure the local CLEO will still issue you a license. I know several people who have been refused licenses because they were students living on campus, regardless of the firearms storage aspect.
Two issues here :

1. Legal residency. There is a reluctance for "locals" to accept college students as "real residents." If you are registered to vote in the college town that's pretty good proof of "resident" status and worth including in the application.

2. Fear of the police chief looking stupid. Submit proof you have arrangements for legal possession and storage despite the fact that you live in a place where you are prohibited by law from having a firearm on your person. (The later being a subtle distinction of MGL 269-10(j) that most police are not aware of until they find they cannot get a conviction when the arrestee had the gun in their car, but not on their person).

Two issues here :

1. Legal residency. There is a reluctance for "locals" to accept college students as "real residents." If you are registered to vote in the college town that's pretty good proof of "resident" status and worth including in the application.

2. Fear of the police chief looking stupid. Submit proof you have arrangements for legal possession and storage despite the fact that you live in a place where you are prohibited by law from having a firearm on your person. (The later being a subtle distinction of MGL 269-10(j) that most police are not aware of until they find they cannot get a conviction when the arrestee had the gun in their car, but not on their person).

With regard to the first point, I plan on applying in my hometown, I'm still a resident there, I just happen to be on campus most of the week, and even through the summer with internships and all the other fun stuff that comes with school. I can easily claim that I can store there (as far as I know).

I'm not going to even try to join a club or range until I have my LTC in hand.

I'm not going to even try to join a club or range until I have my LTC in hand.

That might not work for you either - many towns require membership at a club before they'll issue a license.

I believe this requirement is being challenged via lawsuit in Watertown right now.

Do what I did...bite the bullet and store the guns at your rents. I'm in college as well, and when I first brought my gun home, I was a little nervous to say the least. Then my dad took a look at it and thought it was the coolest thing. I dont live on campus anymore, so the gun stays with me now, but as long as your complying with the law their shouldn't be a big issue with it.

You betcha Pal. I'm actually doing internship right now. What I did was I applied at my hometown, and bought a safe and stored it at home. At least until I moved off-campus, now the guns stay with me.

I can start trying to float it by my parents, no way I'll have time to actually use or buy a gun until the end of the spring semester I think, if I wasn't locked in for the masters this discussion wouldn't even need to happen.

The whole application process takes time. Your definately at the right place though, I would first see if your town is a "green" town or "red", then view the gun laws section of this forum.

I've already been through that discussion, my home town is about as 'green' as they get, I'm considering going this Saturday to take the firearms safety class, and probably will put the application in over winter break.

Continuing the drift, what's the story with the student shooting club that was trying to get started there? One of my friends in the administration contacted me for some information to help them out, but I haven't heard anything recently. I know that the powers that be were anything but receptive to the idea. My daughter graduated a while back from UM-D, and my son-in-law teaches there now.

Ken

I haven't heard anything about it, but then again once the pencil lead starts flying I don't pick my head up until after finals.

Continuing the drift, what's the story with the student shooting club that was trying to get started there? One of my friends in the administration contacted me for some information to help them out, but I haven't heard anything recently. I know that the powers that be were anything but receptive to the idea. My daughter graduated a while back from UM-D, and my son-in-law teaches there now.

Ken

I was actually one of the early members of that club. It started out really great, and it seemed as if it was taking off. It was initially supposed to be an organization that promoted the shooting sports by getting students involved (help getting them licensed, taking them shooting, tours of S&W, firearms safety courses, rifle, pistol, trap teams, etc). I believed it was going to take off but unfortunately after awhile it fizzled into a "small-bore rifle team" only instead of a club that promotes all aspects of shooting. I was the treasurer at one point, but later resigned. I'm not in that club anymore, due to my schedule, and the fact that I enjoy shooting firearms that have recoil. I wonder if it was Nick that attempted to contact you

Took the Basic Firearm Safety Class at AFS today, one step closer! I asked someone there and they said its against policy, but to call Matt, if anyone can bend the rules he can. I think I will just spend the next 3-5 months attempting to 'educate' my mother that firearms aren't so bad and buy a nice safe.

Back
Top Bottom