***H.2259 *ALERT* let's get it done!***

I actually received a call today from Rep Hill stating that he fully supports H2259!

*Squeeeeee*! Rep. Hill is a GOAL-endorsed Republican so I'd be shocked if he didn't support it, but it's great news the bill is big enough on the committee's radar for him to bother making that call to someone who's not in his district.

I'll do the phone-call rounds some time this week.

Last edited:
Senators
Timilty of Bristol and Norfolk - Chair (617) 722-1222 Goal: A+
Brewer of Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Franklin - Vice-Chair (617) 722-1540 Goal: A+
Buoniconti of Hampden (617)722-1660 (413)733-9991 Goal: A
Candaras of First Hampden and Hampshire Telephone: (617)722-1291 (413)599-4785 Goal: C
Joyce of Norfolk, Bristol and Middlesex (617) 722-1643 Goal: B
Brown of Norfolk, Bristol and Middlesex Unknown Goal: Unknown

Representatives
Costello of Newburyport - Chair (617)722-2230 Goal: D
Donelan of Orange- Vice-Chair (617)722-2230 (978)544-2180
Toomey of Cambridge (617) 722-2380 (617)491-1846 Goal: D
Ayers of Quincy (617)722-2230 Goal: A
Nangle of Lowell (617)722-2020 Goal: A
Alicea of Charlton (617) 722-2060 (508) 434-0235 Goal: A+
Campbell of Methuen (617)-722-2877 Goal: D
Aguiar of Fall River (617)722-2140 Goal: B
Ashe of Longmeadow (617)722-2090 (413)754-4184 Goal: Unknown
Perry of Sandwich (617)722-2396 (508)-888-2158 Goal: Unknown
Hill of Ipswich (617)722-2100 978-356-9008 Goal: A+

If anyone has corrections to goal grades, please let me know.

Last edited:
Adding up the GOAL grades:

A+: 4
A: 3
B: 2
C: 1
D: 3
UNKNOWN: 4

This makes it seem like the bill has a good chance of success. Not what I expected.

My emails to all of the senators and representatives on the committee emphasized the fact that I vote in every election and that releasing H.2259 with a favorable report is the ONLY thing they can do to win my support.

Now, it's time to do the snail-mail letters and phone calls. PLEASE, everyone, let's get this done!

He returned my email but he never called me, and his Nephew works for me.
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to keep calling/emailing/mailing your reps next week. I actually received a call today from Rep Hill stating that he fully supports H2259! That's the first time **anyone** has ever called back...I wish he were in my district. He couldn't comment one way or another as to the chances of this advancing, but said a lot of people had been calling so keep up the good work! Emails went out today and more calls Monday.

Last edited:
Received calls today from the office of Rep Perry and Ayers. Even though Perry is a co-sponsor, it was nice that they acknowledged my concern. Ayers office said they would note my support and take it into consideration if/when the bill comes up for debate (they did not commit one way or another).

Have you called yet?

How about email?

Written any letters?

My email to the joint committee:

To the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security,

I am writing to you today to urge you to vote favorably on H.2259. This bill unlike most on the books today will help curb gun violence and protect my rights under the 2nd amendment.

This bill MAKES COMMON SENSE! The laws that are in place today as well as new ones trying to be passed which limit gun purchases to 1 a month, or not allowing sales between 2 law abiding citizens will do nothing to stop gun violence and the criminals.

Passage of H.2259 will finally give a clear understanding of the firearms laws and its effect on citizens.

You have in front of you a bill that could have REAL change, something that strikes a balance between curbing violence on the streets and allowing me my 2nd amendment rights.

I challenge you to compare the existing laws with those proposed in H.2259 then stop and honestly ask yourself the following questions;

1. Is the existing process easy to follow?
2. How does this STOP or even CURB gun violence?
3. Is it fair to citizens?
4. Are we treating law abiding citizens like criminals?
5. Is the exsiting law just a good looking, feel good news headline?
6. DOES IT MAKE SENSE?

If you are honest with yourself you will find that H.2259 is what we need.

Ever since Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998, otherwise known as the Gun Control Act of 1998 was made into law you need to ask yourself, How safe are we really?

On March 14, 2008 the CQPress released its 15th Annual Safest State Awards (Found at: http://www.cqpress.com/product/Crime-State-Rankings-2008.html.) In this publication New Hampshire won out as the safest state to live in the nation. Maine ranked 2nd, Vermont 4th, Connecticut 11th, Rhode Island 12th and sadly, Massachusetts ranked a dismal 22nd. These facts clearly demonstrate the inarguable fact that the Gun Control Act of 1998 has become one of the greatest civil rights and public safety disasters of modern politics.
The wrongful persecution of lawful citizens and the utter lack of any rational policies in fighting the real criminal element have led us to a Decade of Disaster! It is my hope that the entire legislature will now realize what a great mistake it was to target lawful gun owners in 1998 and work towards reforming what have become to be known as the “Worst in the Nation Gun Laws”.
Again I urge you to vote favorably on H.2559.
Thank You

Do we have any support from any LEOs on this? I figured they would have more of a pull on this than us.

Do we have any support from any LEOs on this? I figured they would have more of a pull on this than us.

From everything I've seen, the chiefs do not want this at all. It would take away their discretionary power.
I don't know what the folks in the trenches think about it.

Commonly, the chiefs will fight any legislation that takes away their power, just look at the Katrina bill from last year.

From everything I've seen, the chiefs do not want this at all. It would take away their discretionary power.
I don't know what the folks in the trenches think about it.

Commonly, the chiefs will fight any legislation that takes away their power, just look at the Katrina bill from last year.

+1

Every police officer I know is FOR this legislation. However I do know that most CLEO's are completely against this bill because it takes away their discretion.
So if the legislators push this thing through the CLEO's will pull their end around again and stop it.

However with 4102 back in the mix, it will derail 2259 any ways.

Is it commonplace for a committee like this to not include a rep from each county in the state? Unless I'm not seeing it correctly (and I don't remember sending letters to anyone in/from Berkshire County) why is it that the committee seems to be made up of reps from eastern MA only? Shouldn't each part of MA be well represented in something so crucial? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm still wrapping my young mind around politics and trying to learn something.

JAMES E. TIMILTY is my State Senator, I sent him an email and offered him and his staff handgun instruction as I am a State licensed instructor.

...Sen. James Timilty (D-Walpole), the Senate chair of the Public Safety Committee, called it a “great bill” and said he hoped to see “passage in some form this year.”...

Yes!
[thumbsup]

If you want it so bad, Senator Timilty, you CAN make it happen. Right?

Its so good to see the NRA up on Beacon Hill working our legislators! Oh wait...

Crossing fingers, toes and eyes that the bill goes get passed this year.

The GOAL website states the bill was extended until 23 July 2010: http://www.goal.org/legislativechart.html

I was speaking with an aide today and asked if the two bills could be debated at the same time (H4102 and H2259) and he said it's not likely but there are many arcane rules that could be used to swap one bill for another etc... He said he'd check on the status of the bill and get back to me (not sure if that will happen but we'll see). I thought he said the session runs into July but did not give a date.

Back
Top Bottom