Harvard, MA Appleseed April 17-18 2010

REALLY??? Wow. First time I've ever heard of that happening. Oh, well... now you have a good excuse to get a Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractor for it. After seeing the difference it's made in my oldest 10/22, I put them in my other two.

+1 for the Volquartsen Exact-Edge. I put one in a Mark III that was having FTE issues and it cleared it right up. I am ordering another one for my LTR.

It also needs to be magazine-fed with at least a five-round capacity, yes? (i.e., no single-loaders.)

Earning the patch depends on speed (it is one factor anyway) and your chances will be better with a semi-auto like the 10/22.

Learning (or improving) the skills depends on your attitude and a reliable rifle. The single shot .22 your grandpappy hunted squirrels with as a boy will accomplish that, but a 10/22 + better sights etc is not terribly expensive, either.

REALLY??? Wow. First time I've ever heard of that happening. Oh, well... now you have a good excuse to get a Volquartsen Exact-Edge extractor for it. After seeing the difference it's made in my oldest 10/22, I put them in my other two.

That was the only "LTR" part I was unable to install in my 10/22. For some reason I could not get it to fit properly. I need to break it down and superclean it anyway - I'll see if I can fit it in again.

That was the only "LTR" part I was unable to install in my 10/22. For some reason I could not get it to fit properly. I need to break it down and superclean it anyway - I'll see if I can fit it in again.
PM me if you need a little assistance. I seem to have my days free (in between job-hunting) right now.

Just signed up myself, the wife, and a friend at work! Bummed I will not meet Nickle. Hope to see you Ross!

How do we go about getting flighted with other NESers?

-= chuck

Last edited:
The bays are pretty much self selecting when you get there. One will be a "beginner" bay for people who want a slower pace. There will be another bay or two for people who brought centerfires.

i suppose you are right. i dont have much interest in shooting timed shoots with a bolt action rifle to be honest [laugh]

The first Appleseed I went to the guy next to me ran a bolt action rifle in 30.06 - he did ok. It's only on the 2nd day that the bolt action starts to really hinder you. The first day is more of a learning exercise. You will still learn a lot if a bolt action is all you have to use.

I'm in for both days. The wife would like to come as well, but I only have one .22. Is there any chance of borrowing another .22 rifle?

I've got an M44 with a sling, but the cost to my shoulder of putting 1k through that means I don't think I'll be bringing it.

I'm in for both days. The wife would like to come as well, but I only have one .22. Is there any chance of borrowing another .22 rifle?

I've got an M44 with a sling, but the cost to my shoulder of putting 1k through that means I don't think I'll be bringing it.

I have a number of 22's, and will be attending both days.
I will be shooting a 10/22 with tech sights, but also have a 10/22 with scope. I also have a CZ452.(hasn't been sighted in - but could probably get that done before the shoot)

Just signed up myself, the wife, and a friend at work! Bummed I will not meet Nickle. Hope to see you Ross!

How do we go about getting flighted with other NESers?

-= chuck

I too am looking forward to meeting more NESers - maybe I will try and get my patch on something.....

I am not, I will have my NES patch right over my gadsden-ish patch (the one in my avatar) on the left breast pocket of my moonbat scarin' jacket. [smile]

I just signed up for both days as well. Now i have to spend some cash on mags and other goodies for my 10/22.

My gf will be coming, but she can only make Sunday. Should i tell her to just stay home, or is it still at a decent pace? She's familiar and comfortable with the 10/22 but like others have said, she won't be able to get the fundamentals that are offered on the first day.

I'm signed up already. Just need ammo, go over my 10/22 fine toothly and re-read "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman".

Anyone attending: it goes over a lot of the basics. It isn't mandatory reading but glues together the stuff the instructors will be spouting all weekend. Plus it's free with an order of targets, which you'll want anyway.

I have to agree somewhat, typically I do not ask NES names but in the past I have asked.

On a different but similar note I have met quite a few people on the range. A surprising number of them ask what my NES screen name is before they know/ask my name. Kinda "weird" but hey thats ok.

I typically have no issue revealing my super duper secret NES screename. However I can clearly understand how some might feel uncomfortable.

That is one thing I have always found interesting.. it seems most NES'ers seem shy about revealing whom they are at the shoots.

Can someone, Ross?, give me an idea on the schedule for the Saturday training? My wife has to make rather intricate plans since she's still the sole source of sustenance for the bambina.

On a different but similar note I have met quite a few people on the range. A surprising number of them ask what my NES screen name is before they know/ask my name. Kinda "weird" but hey thats ok.

Guilty, [grin] I that did when I met you, but in fairness, we were talking about how I heard about the IDPA practice on NES.

Guilty, [grin] I that did when I met you, but in fairness, we were talking about how I heard about the IDPA practice on NES.

LOL I forgot about that, really I did!!! I think I was just so freaking excited that the "new guy" showed up with a really nice kimber, then said hey wanna dry fire:) But in all seriousness I understand it, NES/IDPA/HSC/WeedWhacker.........

The bulk of instruction is on Saturday - It's pretty key - once she gets a Saturday under the belt, the Sundays are better because that's when drills and a lot of firing gets done, tuning if you will.

That said I will not discourage her from coming on Sunday, it's not optimal but doable. There may be opportunity to get a compressed set of instruction but the heritage will not be included - a very big part of the Appleseed experience

I've got a spare LTR for her.

Bring your M44 anyway - you can play with it on Sunday. The mechanics are the same (or the would be if you're shooting a bolt action .22!) and it's good for you to see that yes, what you learn on the .22 works on the 762x54r Commie gun.

I have a number of 22's, and will be attending both days.
I will be shooting a 10/22 with tech sights, but also have a 10/22 with scope. I also have a CZ452.(hasn't been sighted in - but could probably get that done before the shoot)
Very generous of you! Please do bring spares if you are so inclined. Don't worry about sighting them it (this is approximately the 697th time I've posted this...), we will be teaching you how to sight it in during the first day! You can't sight it in if you can't make good groups, so that is the FIRST order of business. Once you can group, THEN we adjust the sights. I don't care where you hit when you start out - I care about the size of your group.

My gf will be coming, but she can only make Sunday. Should i tell her to just stay home, or is it still at a decent pace? She's familiar and comfortable with the 10/22 but like others have said, she won't be able to get the fundamentals that are offered on the first day.
Tell her to come anyway - we'll be assigning an instructor or three to bring the Sunday-only shooters up to speed on Sunday morning. Besides... she's not paying anything to shoot, anyway! [wink] I'm trying to see a downside to her coming here... [laugh] Seriously - while we tell folks that if they have a choice, Saturday is the better day to attend, SHE WILL STILL BENEFIT FROM ATTENDING!! Please - have her come.

Can someone, Ross?, give me an idea on the schedule for the Saturday training? My wife has to make rather intricate plans since she's still the sole source of sustenance for the bambina.
Shoot starts at 8:30 with probably 30-45 mins of instruction. First shot will go off somewhere around 9:30-10 AM, based on past experience. Lunch around 12:30 or so. End of the afternoon is probably around 5-6 PM. There'll probably be a nationwide volley at 5:00 EST. That's about as accurate as I can get.

On re-reading this, I have two comments to make, and bear in mind that I am NOT a parent. 1 - breast pump. 2 - I seem to recall that SiameseRat deliberately refrained from shooting while she was carrying her first child and while she was breast feeding said son for fears that lead (and other by-products of shooting) would cross the placental wall and after birth, would show up in her breast milk. Your wife may want to consult with a doctor before keeping on shooting. I'm NOT a doc, so I can't say if SR was being paranoid or merely careful.

What's the situation on loaner rifles?
I may or may not have a rifle by then, so I'd like to have a back up plan.
I will have three on tap by then. Maybe four, if I can scrape free some cash for another magazine for my Marlin 780. Anyone putting in an order with Midway any time soon?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom