HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB MONTHLY MEETING

Recently moved to Harvard and am interested in joining HSC as I've heard very positive things. If a member is willing to take a few minutes, I'd like to discuss the possibility of sponsorship. Thanks for your consideration.

Thought someone would welcome you to the thread and discuss this with you. :) But I guess I am that guy.
So you want to join Harvard - that is a great thing. What you want to do is head over to the club during one of the various events that is going on. Wednesday nights I am there during practice at the shooting pits 5-7pm (open to the public). There is pther events if you check out the calender on the HSC website. Just stop by and introduce yourself as a prospective member. You will be able to meet a few of the shooters and get familiar. If you don't have any luck doing this shoot me a private message here and I will be more then happy to meet up with you there. In fact I will be going over there this morning :)

I'd recommend going over and meeting some people during open events. Wednesday afternoon USPSA practices are ideal for that.

Greg:
The monthly meeting of which the new members are voted in is tonight. New members should be there by 6:30. Go see the directors and I'm sure one of them would sponsor you. I will be there tonight but not until 7:45 or so.
Please see me and introduce yourself. I'll have the SAS jacket/smock on, if I can find it and dust it off.
Jerry

Please don't count on showing up and hoping that somebody will feel comfortable sponsoring a new member that they've never met and never been shooting with. Many of us try very hard to make time for new folks so that we can sponsor them with confidence. This is a bit more difficult with one-day notice. I'd be happy to connect later so that we can work on the November meeting.

Thanks vell, ryan, and dan. It sounds like showing up tonight and just hoping someone will sponsor my friend and I might put the members in an awkward position and I don't want to do that. I would definitely be interested in coming by the club sometime for a tour/introduction of some kind before the November meeting so I could secure myself a sponsor. If any of you guys would be willing to do that please hit up my email. Thanks!
Greg

Like vellnueve said, the Wednesday USPSA practices are a great place to meet people and find someone willing to sponsor you. Not to mention the fact that USPSA shooting is lots of fun! Just come to the club around 5 PM and head to the Action Pits.

Is there any specific requirement for a person to have been a member for a minimum period of time (i.e. 1 year "in good standing") before sponsoring someone?

Is there any specific requirement for a person to have been a member for a minimum period of time (i.e. 1 year "in good standing") before sponsoring someone?

No there is not, I have sponsored other new members within a few months of becoming a member.

I'm planning on heading out to Harvard for the Appleseed coming up. IS there anyone that's a member that goes to Harvard regularly from Somerville? I'd be curious about how the drive is and (of course) would like to know more about the club.

I went from the south end of Boston for a while. Once you're on the highway part of route 2 heading out of the city, it's not a bad ride at all. Probably about 40 minutes.

I'm planning on heading out to Harvard for the Appleseed coming up. IS there anyone that's a member that goes to Harvard regularly from Somerville? I'd be curious about how the drive is and (of course) would like to know more about the club.

I live in Arlington and am an HSC member. I've made it from Route 2 at Lake Street to HSC in 30 minutes (no traffic, and driving pretty fast). During rush hour add an extra 15 -20 minutes because it always slows down at Crosby's Corner and the Concord Rotary. HSC is a great club. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or want to meet up and I can show you around.

How is winter access?

During my membership going on 3 years now the grounds crew has done an amazing job. HSC had better plowing then the roads in many cases!!!!!

As a notice they are looking for help this year.

SNOW PLOWING VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Speaking of snow, the real stuff is not too far around the corner. HSC can definitely use some more help to keep ranges accessible. The more folks that can spend some time behind the wheel, the easier the load on everybody. If you can spend some time learning to drive the “new” truck and donate a few hours during the winter, please contact Carl Adams:
[email protected]

Is Harvard still having its meeting this Thursday? I need to go and get permission to use those AR-500 steel targets we had in that group buy...

*** NOTICE *** POWER STILL OUT *** Nov. Meeting Canceled

The main power line to the clubhouse is broken in several places. Littleton Electric Light Department (LELD) is very busy with numerous outages and is doing their best to get to us. If we do not have power by tomorrow morning (Wednesday) we will need to cancel the November 3 meeting.

Update - meeting canceled.

Last edited:
The main power line to the clubhouse is broken in several places. Littleton Electric Light Department (LELD) is very busy with numerous outages and is doing their best to get to us. If we do not have power by tomorrow morning (Wednesday) we will need to cancel the November 3 meeting.

Thanks Dan.

Its now past the Wednesday morning deadline, has the power been put back on?

*** NOTICE *** NOV. 3 MEETING CANCELED *** NO POWER

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 3 - MONTHLY MEETING CANCELED

Most of the Town of Harvard is still without power, including HSC. Our service line is broken in at least 4 places.

Actually, HSC is serviced by the Littleton Electric Light Department (LELD), who has been very busy with outages throughout the area. After they restore power to the main road, I expect it will require a full-day's work to repair the service to HSC.

This does not affect outdoor events scheduled for this weekend. As always, contact event directors for details and information.

is the club accessible or did the power knock out the main gate? was planning to shoot tomorrow

From what I saw there was no power in the clubhouse on Sat AM.

Anyone know if the monthly meeting is happening tomorrow night?

Nope. From the HSC forum:

Dan Hurley said:
No, the meeting is not rescheduled for November 10. At this point, it seems likely that we will not hold a November meeting and will look forward to the December meeting.

applaud.gif

Hello,
I have actually found someone to sponsor me at the next meeting Dec 1st. So thanks to all of the people willing to help me out.
Thanks and be safe,
Michael

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom