• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB MONTHLY MEETING

Couple quick questions guys:

Can anyone compare Worcester to here? (they are both approximately the same distance for me - Marlborough and I'm not interested in the range in Hudson after reading through that thread!)

Is there 24hr access for the indoor range?

What is the policy on guests?

How soon would I be able to join if I choose Harvard?

WPR is a nice club - got several ranges and an active IDPA group. Harvard has more ranges, IDPA, IPSC, CAS and I don't know what all else. Don't know about WPR's indoor range, but Harvard's is 24x7x365. You get a keycard to let you in.

And the next meeting is day after tomorrow. $150 initiation fee and $150 annual dues. Worth every penny, too.

BTW... I live in Marlborough, too... and I joined Harvard. After leaving Riverside.

Thanks guys for your speedy replies. If there is a meeting tomorrow what time is it and what should I bring/expect? I know I'm supposed to find a sponsor and if any one is willing I would really appreciate it.

Sorry Weedwhacker I missed your question - However I don't really know what I'm looking for in a club. I've only been in two. Marshfield is where I took my course and fired off a few rounds - it's my original hometown but i'm in Marlborough now and anyways Marshfield seemed outdated to me with lots of restrictions and no 24hr access. The other one is the Manchester Firing line which is pretty hard to live up to in terms of being up to date. If it helps any from what I've heard from people and read if I lived on the south shore Braintree would be my type of range.

Last edited:
From http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.net/membership.html

If you don't have a sponsor, PM Dan Hurley on this board - he's the club president.

New Member Information

The Harvard Sportsmen’s Club welcomes new members and encourages in our club and the outdoor sports.
Prospective Members require sponsorship by a current HSC member. The Sponsor is required to attend one of the monthly membership meetings with the Prospective Member where the Sponsor will introduce the Prospective Member to the club membership.
Our membership meetings are held at 6:30 pm in the clubhouse on the first Thursday of each month. At the meeting, the applicants pick up and fill out the membership form, and submit the application with a check or cash for the applicable fee and dues. The applicants are then interviewed by the Board. Basically, the Board members ask the applicants why they wish to join the club. There is no need to complete the application ahead of time as it is simple to do.

Anyone interested in joining HSC is welcome to attend the public events that are listed on the calendar. Activities such as Bi-Weekly Breakfasts, weekly Open Practices, and Match events are great opportunities to see the club and meet members. If you don’t already know an HSC member who can Sponsor you, then these events are also good opportunities to make that connection.
The Monthly Meetings are followed by a mandatory safety briefing on the following Sunday at 10 am. This Range Safety Class is informative AND we try to make it a little fun. The Class usually runs until 11:30 (depending on how much we discuss politics). Alternative schedules are available for folks who cannot attend on Sunday.
Each applicant must attend the Members’ meeting and Range Safety Class in order to complete the application process.

There is a fee of $150 for initiation, and the dues are $150 for the year. Student, associate and junior memberships are $15 each. September through January the dues for the current year are pro-rated. The Board will announce the cost at the meeting.
We require that all applicants be members of the NRA. If an applicant is not a member, he or she can join at the meeting by writing a separate check for $35 made out to the NRA. If an applicant is already a member, he or she should bring the NRA membership card so we can enter the NRA number and expiration date into our database.

Requirements:
Sponsor, NRA membership, and Range Safety Class

Fees:
Adults: $150/year plus $150 initiation (after membership for one year a $75 work credit is available)
Students, Juniors, & Associates: $15

Betsy Grecoe-Membership Secretary [email protected]

Membership Application

Hey guys I was too late in finding out about Harvard to join this month however I would like to join next month from what I hear. Is anyone willing to show me around the club for a tour and potentially be my sponsor? Thanks guys.

Mark and I are strongly considering joining HSC but would like to take a look around and will need a sponsor.... Is there a current member who would consider sponsoring us for membership?

Mark and I are strongly considering joining HSC but would like to take a look around and will need a sponsor.... Is there a current member who would consider sponsoring us for membership?

[wave]

Sure... the July meeting is actually one I'll be at so I can sponsor someone!!

I joined at this month's meeting (June), and did the briefing the following Sunday morning. By the end of that week I received my ID and gate cards in the mail. Impressive turnaround for volunteer(s)! I highly recommend this club if you are considering a number of them. I have two friends who I will be sponsoring, hopefully at next week's meeting! One of them will probably read this posting, too. ;)

I've used the ranges now 3 times since joining, and during the week you practically have the place to yourself. The photo below was taken Wednesday, June 15th at 7:35PM (during public hours no less, when the gate to the place is up):

HSCrange.jpg

I'm thinking of checking out the IPSC practice this Wednesday, and also probably going to the Appleseed shoot next Sunday. I figure this will be a good chance to check out HSC and meet some people. I have no IPSC experience whatsoever, but I'm eager to learn.

I'm thinking of checking out the IPSC practice this Wednesday, and also probably going to the Appleseed shoot next Sunday. I figure this will be a good chance to check out HSC and meet some people. I have no IPSC experience whatsoever, but I'm eager to learn.

The Wednesday night practices are great. I have been going for the past month or so and just shoot my first Match on Sunday. Come on over and check it out.

I'm very interested in joining this club. Their facilities and activities are exactly what im looking for, and only 30 minutes away. Been up a couple of times, but didn't have a chance to meet anyone. I may try again next weekend at one of the matches in the hope to get in at the August meeting. Now that I'm licensed, I really want to get out on the range. My FFL said he'd sponsor me, but I'm not sure if he'll make the meeting.

I suppose I'm looking for a sponsor, but recognize that I'm new here, and reluctant to put much specific information on a public forum. If anyone will be at the meeting would be willing to consider sponsoring me, I'm happy to introduce myself, etc. Please PM me.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Framingham? Same here also looking at joining Harvard. Also do they allow an occasional guest?

Last edited:
Framingham? Same here also looking at joining Harvard. Also do they allow an occasional guest?

Harvard does not put restrictions on guests. Bottom line is you are responsible for any and all guests you decide to bring, so just use your head.

HARVARD ACCESS UPDATE

HARVARD ACCESS

There will be construction underway very near the Harvard Sportsmen's Club that will close the most commonly used route which includes Whitcomb Avenue/Littleton County Road. Construction is slated to begin August 1 and the current plan is to close the road during weekdays. At this point, we do not know when the project will be complete or if they will change plans regarding weekdays vs. weekends.

If the normal route is closed, the alternate is to use the route often taken by travelers approaching from the south on I-495.

Take Exit 28 from I-495.
Head west on Route 111.
Go through traffic lights at Swanson Road,
Turn right onto Littleton County Road.
Stay right with Littleton County Road at Oak Hill Road split.
Continue approximately 1.8 miles to HSC on right.
>
If you normally travel on Route 2 to Exit 39, Taylor Street, you will want
to get on I-495 Southbound and travel 1 exit south to Exit 28, Route 111.
Then proceed as above.

HSC Members. GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace will be at the monthly club meeting this Thursday 8/4/2011 to speak about legislation and other MA issues at 7:30 pm. (meeting starts @7:00)

If you are a member of HSC we'd love to see you there!

If you would like to have Jim address your club, please contact Angi Fisher at the GOAL office.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the website:

New Member Information

The Harvard Sportsmen’s Club welcomes new members and encourages in our club and the outdoor sports.
Prospective Members require sponsorship by a current HSC member. The Sponsor is required to attend one of the monthly membership meetings with the Prospective Member where the Sponsor will introduce the Prospective Member to the club membership.
Our membership meetings are held at 6:30 pm in the clubhouse on the first Thursday of each month. At the meeting, the applicants pick up and fill out the membership form, and submit the application with a check or cash for the applicable fee and dues. The applicants are then interviewed by the Board. Basically, the Board members ask the applicants why they wish to join the club. There is no need to complete the application ahead of time as it is simple to do.

Anyone interested in joining HSC is welcome to attend the public events that are listed on the calendar. Activities such as Bi-Weekly Breakfasts, weekly Open Practices, and Match events are great opportunities to see the club and meet members. If you don’t already know an HSC member who can Sponsor you, then these events are also good opportunities to make that connection.
The Monthly Meetings are followed by a mandatory safety briefing on the following Sunday at 10 am. This Range Safety Class is informative AND we try to make it a little fun. The Class usually runs until 11:30 (depending on how much we discuss politics). Alternative schedules are available for folks who cannot attend on Sunday.
Each applicant must attend the Members’ meeting and Range Safety Class in order to complete the application process.

There is a fee of $150 for initiation, and the dues are $150 for the year. Student, associate and junior memberships are $15 each. September through January the dues for the current year are pro-rated. The Board will announce the cost at the meeting.
We require that all applicants be members of the NRA. If an applicant is not a member, he or she can join by clicking the NRA eagle on the club home page or below. If an applicant is already a member, he or she should bring the NRA membership card so we can enter the NRA number and expiration date into our database.

Requirements:
Sponsor, NRA membership, and Range Safety Class

Fees:
Adults: $150/year plus $150 initiation (after membership for one year a $75 work credit is available)
Students, Juniors, & Associates: $15

I had been hoping to make it to the open IPSC practice today, but work ran later than I planned. I briefly stopped in at last week's (I was the guy with a button-down shirt and sideburns), but I hadn't brought anything to shoot so I hung around under the roof and watched. Everybody seemed nice, but I was nervous about interrupting anyone because I wasn't sure if there were range safety or etiquette rules doing so might break. The person I chatted with in the few minutes I was there turned out to be in a similar boat as me, talking a look at things and considering joining.

I notice the next meeting is tomorrow and I'm wondering if I could find a sponsor. I'm sold on the club and have an active NRA membership, so sponsorship is the last part I'm not sure about. I can understand if people wouldn't want to sponsor a random stranger from the internet so I feel a little weird asking, but October feels like it's so far away [grin].

I am sponsoring another NES member there tonight... I hope to arrive an hour or two early so I can get some shooting in at the 7/25/50 yard ranges. If you want to introduce yourself and join me so we could meet, shoot, and just get familiar I would sponsor you. Although I reserve the right to say no if I think your an idiot :) lol

Recently moved to Harvard and am interested in joining HSC as I've heard very positive things. If a member is willing to take a few minutes, I'd like to discuss the possibility of sponsorship. Thanks for your consideration.

Back
Top Bottom