• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has Any one got an LTC in Somerville MA

I recently applied for my LTC class A in Somerville, MA. I am waiting the grueling 4-6 weeks to find out which class I will actually receive. I was curious as to how many people got there class-A from here and if anyone didn't get a full class A that applied for it?

There are a lot of unrestricted class As in Somerville. There are also a good number of restricted ones.

Is this your first permit?

yes, it is.

Could go either way. Not sure of all their criteria, but I have seen perfectly clean people get restricted and ones with a few blemishes that were not disqualifying get unrestricted. Just have to wait and see.

Is Dot still working the desk in the permit department?

scumerville

i live there.

got a restricted class a.

the licensing officer is a degenerate. absolute tool. not because of the restrictions or anything like that...but rather because of his innability to take his job seriously.

most of the time he is there he is on his cell phone making personal calls...until the captain (who is the man) walks in. He was telling me personal information about people that were applying for their licenses. He stopped telling me inapropriate info when captain tran walked in.

absolute moron.

hopefully they don't pull the "your fingerprints aren't good" trick they did with me...took 9 weeks.

My last renewal a couple years ago, I never talked to the officer, just to Dot. She took care of everything. Funny as the officer before that renewal was know to be almost impossible and everyone was looking forward to him leaving. Could be things have changed since there is now an appointed Chief.

I live on Highland Ave not far from the library/high school. Have lived in Somerville 14 years total, 3 since moving back from Pittsburgh in 2005. All I can say is, good luck getting an unrestricted if you're a first time applicant in Somerville.

Finally got around to applying for mine late last year. Turnaround time was pretty good, only took about 4 weeks.

I had all my ducks in a row. Did plenty of research about what and what not to say and write on the application. I'm a 39 y.o. WM, professional, went in there well dressed and clean shaven for 1st time in months and.... was basically laughed at by the guy "in charge". He told me he "usually doesn't give out unrestricted for 1st time applicants". Since he used the term "usually" I can only assume that means he would give you one if you're somebody he knows. If you're a random Joe off the street? Forget it.

I didnt talk to the front desk people I just walked over to the firearms office.
I walked in the office at my appointment time and everyone stared at me. I talked to the person behind the desk. He asked what I wanted. I said I had a 12:30 appointment with mike. he said "with mike...today?", I said I did and that I talked with him, and he gave me this time. The person says " are you sure, you have a appointment now with mike?". I said yes. he then told me to wait in the hall. After about 25 minutes I went back in and he asked me why I wanted a class A. Before I answered him I introduced myself. "Hi, I'm Gerald; he reply's I am mike". I was amazed. I didn't know if he was messing with me or if he was being a jerk. Next we talked about sandwiches for 25 minutes. It wasn't to bad. honestly I have no idea what they will give me.

I live on Highland Ave not far from the library/high school. Have lived in Somerville 14 years total, 3 since moving back from Pittsburgh in 2005. All I can say is, good luck getting an unrestricted if you're a first time applicant in Somerville.

Finally got around to applying for mine late last year. Turnaround time was pretty good, only took about 4 weeks.

I had all my ducks in a row. Did plenty of research about what and what not to say and write on the application. I'm a 39 y.o. WM, professional, went in there well dressed and clean shaven for 1st time in months and.... was basically laughed at by the guy "in charge". He told me he "usually doesn't give out unrestricted for 1st time applicants". Since he used the term "usually" I can only assume that means he would give you one if you're somebody he knows. If you're a random Joe off the street? Forget it.

How did they notify you. Did they send it in the mail or did you pick it up at the station?

mine took 5 weeks exactly, i was a first time applicant and recieved my unrestricted class-a. no, i do not know anybody there. when i went, it was capt. tran's last day before transfer to boston pd and his replacement was there that day as well. capt tran was very cool, i didn't have an appointment, i just walked in that day with everything in hand. the new guy said staright out, "i don't give out unrestricted without a good reason". reason i had and apparently was a good one considering my unrestricted license. any questions PM me, i got my class-a early this year.

mine took 5 weeks exactly, i was a first time applicant and recieved my unrestricted class-a. no, i do not know anybody there. when i went, it was capt. tran's last day before transfer to boston pd and his replacement was there that day as well. capt tran was very cool, i didn't have an appointment, i just walked in that day with everything in hand. the new guy said staright out, "i don't give out unrestricted without a good reason". reason i had and apparently was a good one considering my unrestricted license. any questions PM me, i got my class-a early this year.

well, what was your apparently good reason?

I didnt talk to the front desk people I just walked over to the firearms office.
I walked in the office at my appointment time and everyone stared at me. I talked to the person behind the desk. He asked what I wanted. I said I had a 12:30 appointment with mike. he said "with mike...today?", I said I did and that I talked with him, and he gave me this time. The person says " are you sure, you have a appointment now with mike?". I said yes. he then told me to wait in the hall. After about 25 minutes I went back in and he asked me why I wanted a class A. Before I answered him I introduced myself. "Hi, I'm Gerald; he reply's I am mike". I was amazed. I didn't know if he was messing with me or if he was being a jerk. Next we talked about sandwiches for 25 minutes. It wasn't to bad. honestly I have no idea what they will give me.

That is very bizarre, no one likes sandwiches that much.

That is very bizarre, no one likes sandwiches that much.

wow i wonder why MA has those unrestricted and restricted rules for i am form PA, thank god i didnt have to go thru all that BS just for a LTC ,if i did i wouldnt have gotten one.no pun intended for MA residents its the rules i am crticizin...

wow i wonder why MA has those unrestricted and restricted rules for i am form PA, thank god i didnt have to go thru all that BS just for a LTC ,if i did i wouldnt have gotten one.no pun intended for MA residents its the rules i am crticizin...

The part in bold is precisely why the rules here are so bizarre and unequal. It's a way of discouraging people without making it obvious. Put up enough hoops and many people will stop jumping through them. [frown]

I'm not from Somerville but whether we like it or not this process is like a job interview. If he likes you you're in. If he doesn't your out. Chatting with the guy about sandwiches is probably a good strategy. At the end of it all hopefully he thinks you're a good guy.
Just an fyi. Back in 1985 or so when I applied for my license at the age of about 25, the officer told me he was going to give me my license for target and hunting. I told him I wasn't comfortable with that because there were times when I might need a gun for protection. That opened up a short conversation after which he gave me a license for 'protection of life and property' which was the one to get at the time. It's all up for negotiation!

I received my first LTC under Capt Daley quite a while ago. It was restricted to target, hunting & employment. Two subsequent renewals came with the same restriction despite change in situations, licensing officers and after lawyers assistance. Finally on the 3rd renewal under Capt Story, I was given " all lawful purposes"

If you get a restriction, don't give up hope.

Regards,
Paul

Sorry to necropost but I thought it might be good to add to this old post as things have changed since 2009.

I'm up for renewal of unrestricted LTC and have an appointment at the west Somerville PD substation. I was told by a worker there that there was a new Captain and that they now need a letter explaining who you are and why you think you 'need' an LTC.

Has anyone gone through the new process? Did you have any problems getting an unrestricted? Also, I can't remember which agency I write the Money Order to.

Last edited:
Wow, back from the dead thread!

I recently renewed in Somerville... reapplied last August for expiration in November... after a "it got lost in the mail" I finally got my LTC-A unrestricted in January.

My letter consisted of a brief introduction (licensed since 1993), my interest in shooting sports and my concern for my family and personal safety. I also mentioned my involvement in the community (youth sports.)
Dropped it all off with the clerk at West Station and never met with the Captain!

Payment goes to Somerville PD... Hope this helps! Good luck!

I wrote a letter in 2014 to get my restrictions lifted. It wasn't very lengthy or difficult, GOAL has a good template for this somewhere on their site.

WTF? Future Lowell style requirements coming soon to you!

Call your elected officials and push them for a preemption law that will prevent this sort of crap.

I got mines in 2013 and it was restricted, I waited a year then wrote a letter to the Chief at the time after a brief phone conversation he lifted my restriction, My brother applied in 2014 and got unrestricted

I recently applied for my LTC class A in Somerville, MA. I am waiting the grueling 4-6 weeks to find out which class I will actually receive. I was curious as to how many people got there class-A from here and if anyone didn't get a full class A that applied for it?[/QUOT

hey im new here i living Somerville i going for an interview next 3 weeks for my LTC they ask me to write a letter i dont know what write do anyone have a copies or can give me an idea and what kind the question thhey gonna ask me

Did you ask them what they want? When my wife got hers in Somerville she wrote a letter detailing her history with firearms and why she wanted a license. I don't recall what they told her when she had called, but I know she at the time had an notepad full of details for what forms she needed filled out, what documentation to bring, and what they wanted to hear about in the letter.

The licensing officer gave her an unrestricted license, it was just a matter of her sitting down and talking with him then hearing his opinions on the safety of Somerville and how everyone should feel so safe that they don't need to walk around with a gun. It was her first time applying in MA but she had a previous out of state license, and a spouse with guns already in the house (me) so she was fairly familiar with them already.

I went with her to the substation for the appointment (at her request) and sat off to the side. While I was sitting there some other woman came in late, without the paperwork filled out or a pen, and was a mess of confusion. Do not be like that person, and make sure you have your details confirmed and written down.

From the Somerville site:

LETTER to LICENSING AUTHORITY: If you are applying for an LTC you must submit a letter addressed to Captain James Donovan specifying the reasons that you are requesting a license.

You do realize the OP was from 2009...

Anyway, to add to the thread, Somerville will issue unrestricted so long as you aren’t a transient college/grad student. If you can illustrate you have ties to city, own property, plan to hang around and aren’t a jack-hole, you will have a good shot.

You do realize the OP was from 2009...

Anyway, to add to the thread, Somerville will issue unrestricted so long as you aren’t a transient college/grad student. If you can illustrate you have ties to city, own property, plan to hang around and aren’t a jack-hole, you will have a good shot.

Via my wife, the "rule of thumb" by the officer was over 1 year in Somerville though it might have been specifically over 1 year at that address in the city. The officer BS'd something along the lines of not wanting people to move in just to get their license then move elsewhere. [puke]

We moved out before I ended up getting a renewal there, so I can't offer any direct experience. The best I can offer was that the process was smooth enough minus the opinions and condescension of the licensing officer.

Didn't realize there was a specific thread for Somerville. Anyways just an update--I had received a license with T&H + Sporting restrictions last year and was told to get back in touch a year later to have the restrictions lifted. Since then I also applied for and got my C&R FFL. I sent in a letter to Captain Donovan shortly after my anniversary and few weeks later an unrestricted license was in my mailbox. Looks like they're true to their word, if its any consolation.

Now to see about getting a green card...

Can anyone help me write a letter I got interviews in April for my ltc don't know what to write and what kind of question they going to ask me

Back
Top Bottom