GSG

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.telegram.com/article/20071121/NEWS/711210612/1101

Heading off holdups

Risks, responsibilities fall on individual store owners

NEIGHBORHOODS

By Danielle M. Williamson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

In the 19 years she has owned Short Stop Convenience Store in Gardner, Lisa Briggs hasn’t been robbed once.

Maybe it’s the many hidden cameras she has inside and outside her Pine Street store, or the panic buttons criminals know would guarantee a swift police response. It could be because she keeps the store well lighted, her windows free of clutter and signs, and her employees trained to recognize potential threats.

“This is my business. This is all I have, and I do all I can to protect it,” Ms. Briggs said Friday as she made a bacon pizza for a customer.

Police wish all convenience store owners would be as vigilant when safeguarding their businesses. Faced with a consistent string of convenience store and gas station robberies, officers in cities, including Gardner and Worcester, are frustrated by the lack of private investment in security and their inability to penalize store owners whose establishments are easy targets for robbers.

The National Association of Convenience Stores, an industry trade group, says that the “vast majority” of stores are crime-free. The association is committed to deterring crime and supports beefing up security, but said adopting uniform safety procedures would be challenging in an industry filled with small-business owners.

The Shell Food Mart station at 6 Pearson Blvd. in Gardner has been robbed 12 times in the last five years, most recently Oct. 7. (A man turned himself in Nov. 10 and confessed to the robbery, citing heroin addiction as the cause.)

Honey Farms stores in Worcester on Park Avenue, Vernon, Belmont and Grafton streets have been targeted a total of 15 times between May and October.

Acknowledging that not all robberies can be prevented, Gardner police Lt. Gerald J. Poirier believes digital video surveillance equipment, good store visibility, employee training and requiring at least two cashiers to work at night would deter convenience store crime.

“Crime prevention through environmental design,” which includes keeping the cash register out of criminals’ reach and removing excessive advertisements from store windows, are examples of inexpensive measures that can reduce robberies, Lt. Poirier said. “The typical robber is an opportunist who’s under the influence of drugs,” he said. “Many will walk into a store, not planning to rob it, until they see how easy it would be to overtake an attendant.”

Lt. Poirier has repeatedly complained to the state Occupational Safety and Health Administration about the Pearson Boulevard Shell station, and in response, was mailed a 35-page booklet with the agency’s “recommendations for workplace violence prevention programs in late-night retail establishments.”

Lt. Poirier believes that since fire-suppression systems at gas stations are required by law, government should also impose crime prevention standards.

“If the government can shut down a station for failing fire inspections, why can’t they demand overall inspections for other hazards?” he asked.

John M. Chavez, regional spokesman for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said there are no specific standards for security in such businesses. According to federal crime statistics from 2006, about 5.5 percent of all robberies in the Northeast took place at convenience stores, compared with 3.1 percent at gasoline or service stations and 2.6 percent at banks. The bulk — nearly 59 percent of robberies — took place on the street or highway.

OSHA investigates security concerns only if an employee files a formal complaint, Mr. Chavez said. Such complaints account for a small fraction of the agency’s workload. The most that usually comes from these complaints is that OSHA gives store operators recommendations — none of which OSHA has authority to enforce.

Sgt. Kerry Hazelhurst, spokesman for the Worcester Police Department, believes quality surveillance equipment, electronic doors that let cashiers dictate who’s allowed in the store late at night, panic buttons and requiring that customers remove hoods and sunglasses should be standard in such establishments.

After the Oct. 7 Shell station robbery in Gardner, managers posted a sign asking customers to remove hoods and sunglasses.

These instructions are rarely enforced, Sgt. Hazelhurst said.

“It’s up to the stores to enforce these security measures,” he said. “We can’t make them.”

Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores, said that while his organization supports beefing up security for safety and to improve the industry’s image, he opposes uniform standards.

“Well-meaning legislation can sometimes have unintended effects,” he said.

The mandatory scheduling of more than one worker during late night hours — a measure British Columbia started enforcing last month — could lead to violence if a robber became surprised by an employee he didn’t see behind the counter when entering the store. Panic alarms could agitate a criminal, who may not know if the cashier was reaching for a weapon behind the counter, Mr. Lenard said.

The association encourages its members (about half the convenience stores nationwide) to maintain high visibility in their stores, keep only small amounts of cash in the register and train employees to recognize threats, such as customers wearing sunglasses after dark or wearing a disguise.

At well-known gas stations with attached convenience stores, including Shell, implementing companywide security standards is not as simple as it may seem. Shell, for example, doesn’t own or even manage the vast majority of stores that carry its name.

Shell Oil Co., based in Houston, owns only 10 percent of the country’s 14,000 Shell stations, including the Pearson Boulevard Shell in Gardner, said spokesman Anne Peebles. The company, however, does not manage the Gardner establishment, which is run by ENT Inc., a Shrewsbury-based management group.

Therefore, at most Shells, an independent business owner simply sells Shell gasoline and is responsible for day-to-day operations, Ms. Peebles said. The arrangement is similar to a vendor selling Pepsi products. The store owner receives a portion of the profits from Pepsi sales, but does not answer to PepsiCo Inc. about its operations.

Ms. Peebles said Shell can “de-brand” the business if the operator is giving the product a bad name, taking away the store’s ability to buy Shell gasoline. She could not speak specifically about the repeated robberies at the Gardner station.

The general manager for ENT did not return a call seeking comment.

Ms. Briggs, the convenience store owner in Gardner, said some crime prevention is simply common sense.

A man wearing a fake mustache — like the suspect who robbed a Gardner bank this month — should immediately trigger a response that something is not right, she said.

“A lot of it comes down to paying attention and watching your environment,” she said. “I’m looking at everyone who walks through that door.”

Contact reporter Danielle Williamson by e-mail at [email protected].

My personal favorite line is the one that says how the criminals know that the panic buttons are there and will instantly summon police. But is anyone else even a little bit worried that the police are suggesting we make it a law that these stores have to do more to protect themselves from crime? How nuts is that?

Where's that picture of Mr Twigg holding a big ass revolver to a camera?

THAT's my idea of robbery prevention.

" “If the government can shut down a station for failing fire inspections, why can’t they demand overall inspections for other hazards?” he asked."

Does the government hold your dick while you pee?

" “If the government can shut down a station for failing fire inspections, why can’t they demand overall inspections for other hazards?” he asked."

Does the government hold your dick while you pee?

And shake it when you're done? [wink]

I like shooting the BG's too, but a large part of this shit would
never happen if the government gave up its silly "war on drugs"
crusade. The a**h***s that usually rob these places are people
desperate for cash trying to feed a habit. Otherwise, the $200 or
less generally isn't worth it to any criminal with brain cells that
aren't being polluted by chemicals. I realize most criminals
generally are lacking in the intelligence department, but it doesn't
take a genius to figure out that knocking over a 7-11 has a
really shitty risk-reward ratio attached to it.

The whole problem with drugs being artificially high in
cost is that it creates about 900 other problems other than
just a bunch of addicts, which we're going to get
anyways, regardless of the laws. In some cases the
"side crime" is often arguably worse than the original drug abuse
problem. (many people get killed each year for the sake
of some douchebag trying to get money to buy artifically
expensive drugs. )

-Mike

I like shooting the BG's too, but a large part of this shit would
never happen if the government gave up its silly "war on drugs"
crusade. The a**h***s that usually rob these places are people
desperate for cash trying to feed a habit. Otherwise, the $200 or
less generally isn't worth it to any criminal with brain cells that
aren't being polluted by chemicals. I realize most criminals
generally are lacking in the intelligence department, but it doesn't
take a genius to figure out that knocking over a 7-11 has a
really shitty risk-reward ratio attached to it.

The whole problem with drugs being artificially high in
cost is that it creates about 900 other problems other than
just a bunch of addicts, which we're going to get
anyways, regardless of the laws. In some cases the
"side crime" is often arguably worse than the original drug abuse
problem. (many people get killed each year for the sake
of some douchebag trying to get money to buy artifically
expensive drugs. )

-Mike
+1

I don't buy into that with the drugs (just my opinion, not trying to start a war on that subject), but I think that more and more we see criminals who do stupid, reckless things with tons of risk, no reward, and no remorse or hesistation about killing. Then the newspapers tell everyone that the government needs to do more, and that if you just give them what they want it'll be fine.

How about the notion of being allowed to protect the store that's your only livelihood with something more than fewer signs in a window?

This state is f***ed.

Since you asked...

Where's that picture of Mr Twigg holding a big ass revolver to a camera?

THAT's my idea of robbery prevention.

motivator2031903.jpg

[smile]

Lt. Poirier believes that since fire-suppression systems at gas stations are required by law, government should also impose crime prevention standards.

they won't be happy till they've legislated and controlled everything...

"Lt Poirier, my fly is down! Please come help!"
"Lt Poirier, I need to use the potty!"
"Lt Poirer, kiss my A$$"

...government should also impose crime prevention standards...

The local government did just this twenty five years ago in Kennesaw, Georgia where citizens are required to keep a functioning handgun in their homes.

Florida and fifteen other states now have what are being called "Stand your ground" laws on the books. The bloodbath in the streets the Brady and other anti's have been screaming about hasn't happened.

Clearly, criminals know facing a .38 or a 1911 is a powerful deterrent to their presence and will change their plans.

Removing signs from windows isn't going to do a damm thing.

Lyndonville, Vermont requires every household to have a firearm, if they can legally possess such. There is an exemption for those that object for moral reasons.

For those who do not want to carry a gun

They can have their trained Monkey do it for them.

ninjalessons_link1.jpg

Maybe the Convienince store is just a Happy Place?[smile]

That whole article is so full of sheeple stupidity that I simply don't know where to begin.....
I agree. Best security system for such a place would be a Model 19 on every cashier's hip.
I like shooting the BG's too, but a large part of this shit would never happen if the government gave up its silly "war on drugs" crusade.
You said it, brother. Obviously the idiots who keep calling for more and more anti-drug laws have never heard of Prohibition. [angry]
Lyndonville, Vermont requires every household to have a firearm, if they can legally possess such. There is an exemption for those that object for moral reasons.
That is exactly the same exemption that Kennesaw, GA has. I read an article earlier this year that claims that not only did what little crime there was there went down, but there hasn't been a murder in the town since the law was enacted!

Who'd'a thunk it? [rolleyes]

... officers in cities, including Gardner and Worcester, are frustrated by the lack of private investment in security and their inability to penalize store owners whose establishments are easy targets for robbers.

"To serve and protect" has now been reduced to ticketing victims of crime for their failure to take adequate measures to prevent their criminal victimization.

I always figured that adequate punishment for being sheep was getting eaten by wolves, but this goes a step beyond the pale.

Of course, I feel for the people who have to work under risky conditions who are also prohibited from defending themselves by company policy and/or state & local limitations on RKBA. We don't need OSHA regualtions when we already have the 2nd Amendment.

I'm sorry, if I worked some high risk, minimum wage job I would be armed to the teeth. Screw company policy. Being alive to get fired from a $8/hr job is preferred to being a good DEAD corporate lemming.

Different strokes if your job is $75K with awesome benefits and in a relatively safe environment. Still, no reason not to carry a few edged and impact weapons.

Of course, I feel for the people who have to work under risky conditions who are also prohibited from defending themselves by company policy and/or state & local limitations on RKBA.
You forgot to mention state law. I recall a very close friend of mine who brought his Model 19 to work with him on very busy holiday weekend when there was something like $7K in the safe - he figured that he'd rather have some authority to back him up when he had to explain to some lowlife that no, he really didn't know how to get into the safe. Strangely enough, he looks like a younger version of the guy I see every night when I brush my teeth... [wink]
I'm sorry, if I worked some high risk, minimum wage job I would be armed to the teeth. Screw company policy. Being alive to get fired from a $8/hr job is preferred to being a good DEAD corporate lemming.

Different strokes if your job is $75K with awesome benefits and in a relatively safe environment. Still, no reason not to carry a few edged and impact weapons.
And a Surefire E2D, too. Membership has it's privileges. [smile] [smile]

Last edited:

Some of those kids in the Moble/Dunkin Donuts store look pretty young - I wonder if such places hire under age 21? I agree wholeheartedly but suspect some are too young to get a carry permit.

While there have been many studies on what factors appear common in convenience store crime (low light, poor visibility, sole employee closing late on weekends, etc), only the big chains have adopted prudent measures. The Mom & Pop shops, about which the LEO speaks, are likey shoehorned into whatever space they bought with no but franchise money for improvements. It's those guys that need to have their own protection. If you can't make money selling gas, beer and cigarettes, you shouldn't be in the business.

If they don't, the issue isn't poor crime stats for the local police, eh?

Back
Top Bottom