• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help/Advice - Looking to try IDPA competition

I don't see what the big deal is with the Blackhawk. I see no inherent flaws with using one. I am not claiming it is the best holster by any means as I have zero experience, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for IDPA. I have heard NUMEROUS members here slam the blackhawk, but have never heard real reasoning behind why it is held in such low regards.

Without flaming me on this, I am asking a serious and legit question. Why do a lot of members here look down their noses at the Blackhawk?

I think that you'll find the vast majority of competitve shooters and conceal & carry types find no use for a retention holster. The fact that the serpa has the release button so close to the trigger doesn't help either. Your trigger finger should be nowhere near the trigger on the draw stroke.

Serpas have been known to jam up and lock the pistol in the holster. This will ruin your day if you travel to a match.

Their belt attachment is screwed on and a hard yank by someone can rip the holster right off your pants. Not an issue for competition, but an issue for carry and some do use Serpas for carry.

On the subject of carry, Serpas and other plastic belt holster like it (regardless of retention) conceal like a brick.

Serpas require you to push inwards with your trigger finger right over where the trigger is inside the holster. If you are not careful and continue that pushing motion as you draw, there is a higher (some say unacceptably high) chance that your finger will continue into the trigger guard and cause a negligent discharge.

A negligent discharge will automatically disqualify you from an IDPA match. More than one will have IDPA HQ talking to you, perhaps suspending or cancelling your membership.

And as I mentioned before, IDPA does not allow you to bypass or ignore retention features built into your holster. If your holster has a lock or a tumb break, you must engage it before you can start the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info, and I appreciate you just laying it out there and not flaming me. I see your point, and it is clearly a valid point. I will make it work with the Serpa for now, obviously I am only attending a practice match to test the waters so I am not yet a member of IDPA so I do not have my "Competition Gear" all worked out yet. As I mentioned I will not even have an adequate belt for the competition, seeing as my wilderness is on order. I just want to try and and wanted to find a "cheap" $$ holster that I would be able to use for the practice. If I really get into it, I am sure I will have a long list of new equipment to purchase.

If I really get into it, I am sure I will have a long list of new equipment to purchase.

IDPA isn't that big a list. Maybe a better holster, a dual mag pouch (the blackhawk mag pouch works fine), a flashlight, a belt (the wilderness is great). Maybe a flashlight holster.

If you are shooting that M&P, I have a like-new DeSantis Speed Scabbard for it. It rides a bit high for my liking but I am not that tall. If you are over 6 ft tall and would like to try some well made but affordable gun leather, let me know and we can work out a good deal.

Here's what it looks like, but in black:

002.jpg

A negligent discharge will automatically disqualify you from an IDPA match. More than one will have IDPA HQ talking to you, perhaps suspending or cancelling your membership.

If you have an ND in the holster, the DQ and anything IDPA HQ does are the least of your worries.

If you are over 6 ft tall and would like to try some well made but affordable gun leather, let me know and we can work out a good deal.

Unfortunately I am one of the short Italians. If I stand on a milkcrate I may make 6'. [laugh]

I did look into the DeSantis when you posted the offer before. I just thought I would have an easier time finding a Fobus for practice (which I was surprisingly wrong) I ended up settling with the Blackhawk, because it was reasonably priced and well available!

I like the idea of a nice leather holster, and I have been looking at the Fist #20 you mentioned before. I was going to go with a M-Tac, but now that I may turn this gun into an IDPA gun and drop the trigger weight I may hold off until I replace it with a new carry piece. Lots of options. Just havent settled on anything just yet.

IDPA isn't that big a list. Maybe a better holster, a dual mag pouch (the blackhawk mag pouch works fine), a flashlight, a belt (the wilderness is great). Maybe a flashlight holster.

..and lots of ammo! Most of us that get hooked end up trying/buying lots of stuff... one man's trash is another man's treasure... you won't know what you like until you try it. Start with what you have and have fun. See where it goes...

Without flaming me on this, I am asking a serious and legit question. Why do a lot of members here look down their noses at the Blackhawk?

The biggest reason for me is what these two said.

The fact that the serpa has the release button so close to the trigger doesn't help either. Your trigger finger should be nowhere near the trigger on the draw stroke.

Serpas require you to push inwards with your trigger finger right over where the trigger is inside the holster. If you are not careful and continue that pushing motion as you draw, there is a higher (some say unacceptably high) chance that your finger will continue into the trigger guard and cause a negligent discharge.

There's a few other issues with the holster that I write off to personal preference, but this one is huge. DEA Agent Lee Paige, who shot himself (well grazed, really) with his Glock, was using one. I've seen firsthand how using such a holster guides one's finger into the trigger guard, and the shooter then slowly creeps their finger back up and out.

If you have an ND in the holster, the DQ and anything IDPA HQ does are the least of your worries.

How right you are. The link below has GSW pics that the weak stomached may not want to look at.

http://negligentdischarge.com/leg.html

How right you are. The link below has GSW pics that the weak stomached may not want to look at.

http://negligentdischarge.com/leg.html

Wow... that guy got lucky.... ironically his choice of a poorly designed JHP paid off... [laugh] The old 230 gr Hyrdras refused to expand if a mouse so much as farted within a quarter mile of the altercation site.

ETA: for those reading, I'm being about 50% facetious here.... I don't care what it is, but if you shoot yourself in the leg with a .45 you're in for a world of hurt...

-Mike

Last edited:
Tips for new IDPA shooters

I use 9mm in IDPA just because it is the least expensive. Recently I bought a Sig229 .40. I also have the 9mm conversion (not by Sig). Occasionally I have jams with it so I have switched to the .40cal for IDPA matches.

As far as holsters are concerned, don't worry about being able to get the gun back into the holster quickly. The timer stops with your last round fired. You can take all the time you need to put the pistol safely into the holster without hurting your time.

You will definitely want mag pouches. For IDPA you only need a pouch that carries 2 mags.

The most useful accessory that I have is the upLULA. After my first match of reloading magazines my thumbs were killing me. The upLULA was the best $35 I have spent in a long time.

Hope this helps...

Conversion barrels are technically illegal in IDPA. No one is going to jam you up at a local club match, but I wouldn't want to risk it at a sanctioned match.

Back
Top Bottom